main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion To Sith or not to Sith? -NSA Edition

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by Legacy Jedi Endordude, Aug 10, 2013.

?

Should the Sith return in Episode VII

1. YES! Once more the Sith will rule the Galaxy!

33 vote(s)
    54.1%
  2. NO! He is the chosen one. He will bring balance.

28 vote(s)
    45.9%
  1. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    That's an interesting bit of information, where is it from?

2. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    I wouldn't have had Sith in this trilogy, but I'm not opposed to the idea, as long as it's done right.

- At last, the Jedi are no more!
    - The Emperor does not share your optimistic appraisal of the situation.

/LM

3. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I wouldn't count that as ignoring the rule of two. There may be a Sith in the making that is hidden from the other Sith, but he doesn't become one until the existing Master or Apprentice dies.

4. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    RotS novelization. Sidious fed Tyranus a gigantic load of dookie that the RoT was going bye-bye, there would be an order of Sith Knights to replace the Jedi, and that Anakin would be Tyranus' first apprentice. Poor fella had no idea just how badly he'd been had, until Anakin went completely ape-**** on him. At Palpatine's urging [face_devil]

5. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    Darth Maul disagrees with yoou ;)

6. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Thanks, I haven't read the novelization so didn't know about that part. Makes Palpatine seem all the more like, well...Palpatine. Master of deceit and manipulation.

7. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    The entire duel is written from Dooku's POV. I almost felt bad for him. And Palpatine...

It really is the best adaptation of the saga, IMHO. I'd rate RotJ as the second best, but tthat's a diffferent discussion.

8. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    I want to see the darkside and lightsabers, but not Sith. I'd like to see a new take on it, Sith are kind of played out.

kainee and Force Smuggler like this.
  9. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Not sure if the Sith, see it that way.:p

"This is the way of our Order. An individual may die, but the Sith are eternal..." -Darth Zannah

10. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013

The way I see it, the Sith died with Palpatine. I don't favor them playing with that.

my kind of scum likes this.
  11. kainee

kainee Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 10, 2012
    I would prefer that Sith not be rehashed because they've been in 6 freaking movies already. I would prefer that there be a Jedi civil war in order to fight over what the nature of the Force should be after Anakin has balanced the Force. If you think about it, the factors for a major schism in the Jedi Order were already in place even before the Sith became a major threat since they'd stagnated in the PTs and even in the OTs, there were obviously differences in philosophy as symbolized in how Yoda and Obi-Wan's opinions that Darth Vader was irredeemable versus how Luke thought his father could be saved. Also, if you consider the overall myth arc of the trilogies, the sequel trilogy should really be trying to come to grips with the reality presented in the PT and the religion/philosophy as shown in the OT.

12. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    If the force is created by and connected to all life, the Jedi and the Sith should not have a monopoly on it. Sith are just an ideology, and now they are out of the way. Others drawn to the darkside of the force will take their place. Nature abhors a vacuum.

13. Lord Chazza

Lord Chazza Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2013
    No Sith for me. I am definitely one of those people who think that the prophecy should be honored and new villains should be fielded. As it is the Sith had 1000 years and 6 movies to take over the galaxy. They've had they're chance. If they came back it would be too stale.

kainee likes this.
  14. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    Well in light of the new rumors I'd say YES to Sith. The real question would then become -- Does the rule of two still apply or can we go Sithtastic???
    There's nothing that says the Sith can't evolve into something different like an Order to Jedi, as has been mentioned. Besides, ultimately Sidious would be doing all the manipulating just like he did in TPM only this time via Ghost instead of hologram. I think the rumored idea holds a very wide realm of potential.

15. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013

I'm not a fan of Sidious ghosts. Or Plagueis or any other dead villains. I would prefer new.

That doesn't mean that if they did use those characters they couldn't make a good movie, they could make a great one. But when asked the direct question, I would prefer to leave the dead characters dead and move on to something new. The whole galaxy is coming off of a destructive civil war, there is plenty of room for new types of force wielding villains.

kainee and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  16. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    I totally agree with you. In fact see my first post on this topic and you see I wasn't a HUGE proponent of the idea. That said, this isn't that bad and trust me I'm very critical and discerning.

Also, the excuse that we're "reusing old characters" is only slightly valid. Yes, Sidious comes back. BUT Sidious is only one character. I'm pretty sure we'll see a whole slew of new villains which bodes extremely well for us. Think about it -- Throughout SW (all 6 Episodes) there have only been a handful of villains. Now we could potentially get more Villains/Sith than we can shake a stick at.

Lastly, it's really interesting in that we DID SPECULATE that the potential for more Sith existed, BUT up until now we speculated the villains would not be Force wielders (IE my pet Mandalorians.)

Last Lastly -- wouldn't it be effing cool if a Sith Lord happened to be a Mandalorian as well?!?!?! I think so!

17. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Ever watch TCW?

KenobiSkywalker likes this.
  18. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    You'd think so, wouldn't you? And you would be wrong. ;P

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  19. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'll be skipping the movie if Sidious comes back.

Disney, Abrams, Arndt, are you listening? Ian McDiarmid is a great actor, but for ****'s sake, if you can't do anything else with this movie, leave my favorite character's sacrifice alone.

I think I'd rather see Thrawn or Mara Jade make an appearance. And if you know me, you know that's saying something--like the difference between me going to the movie and throwing popcorn at the screen, and not going at all.

20. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Status of definitions as of the start of the ST:

Prophecy- We are not certain, we have only speculation.
    Chosen One- We are not certain, we have only speculation.
    Balance- We are not certain, we have only speculation.

Therefore, the ST could:

A) Do something we never expected in defining these during the new storyline; make them into something really original and thoughtful that few fans if any would have any inkling of beforehand.
    B) Take these definitions into the territory that many expected in defining them.
    C) Not define them at all, and move on with the new story without them, and don't even bring them up.
    D) Bring them up in the new story, but leave them in the realm of the enigmatic; leave it up to SW fans to interpret them and debate in blogs even AFTER the ST.

I think there would be SW fans that protest and cry foul no matter which of these options they choose in the ST. I also think that if done right, any of these options COULD work to make a good story.

My inclination is to have new force-using bad guys unlike anything in previous SW tales, and to try to be as new, fresh, and original as possible. They COULD still make it work using the Sith, but they need some new wrinkles.

kainee and Legacy Jedi Endordude like this.
  21. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    Personally, I would prefer it if the Sith are not in the ST. I'd rather see a few less lightsabers and a bit more focus on fleet battles, dogfights, covert ops, smugglers, fringers of all types...

I loved the prequels, but after they were so heavily about the sith (and therefore the jedi), I'd like to see more of the other side of the galaxy.

22. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    Only the 1st two seasons but I take it they "been there, done that."

I still think it would be cool.

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  23. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    Again, Occam's Razor. If they use the dark side of the Force and lightsabers, why call them anything other than Sith?

kainee likes this.
  24. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    Good characters have depth, you can flesh them out. Why can they not have their own backstory, with their own thoughts on the nature of the force? Why do they have to be pigeonholed into the Sith ideology ?

25. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    It was....

[​IMG]

The second to last arc was action packed.​