main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

7NS Issue: Can we somehow block "latest post" on the main page?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Garth Maul, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    That's not a reasonable solution. It might be reasonable to tell one specific person that, but to tell every new person that comes to the boards?

If you're going to have a spoiler section and a non spoiler section, you have to do something to seperate them. Maybe if this isn't the answer, breaking the spoiler thread off from films into it's own menu section is an option.

But expecting everyone to download Adblock and use it is not what I would call reasonable.

2. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    I takes less than a couple of minutes to download AdBlock... how is that unreasonable? Was it unreasonable for me to download & use it to block the stars/those gray 'mod' and 'game host' tags underneath some user's name? I don't think so.

Katana_Geldar and DarthRelaxus like this.
  3. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    It's unreasonable to expect every user to download a browser add-on in order to avoid spoilers, yes.

4. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    No. I was going off what we previously did in 3NS days. I direct link to 7NS but there were enough complaints already that I thought I'd start the thread. If the admins want to restore the original main page and just tell people to ad-block, that's fine.

I had an issue and brought it to Comms. Which is the point of Comms.

5. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Ok, then.

Grimby: Then I suppose from your logic it's been unreasonable when anyone here has ever had to use AdBlock to block something around the boards. Oh well. :p At the very least, would it be possible for those of us (who wish to have that latest topic from the 7SA shown on the forum main page) to have that option back? Is that logistically possible?

Force Smuggler likes this.
  6. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Blocking some stars because they offend your delicate sensibility has nothing to do with blocking spoilers, the reason 7NS even exists.

7. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    I only pointed that out as to show how it easy it is to download & use Ad Block, not to compare these two issues (perhaps then I could have worded my post about that differently). Obviously I'm not arguing over the existence of the 7NS forum (that would be a ridiculous notion), just the issue of latest topic heading on the forum main page (I don't care if it's blocked on the TFN main page, or on the JC RSS feed). Yes, this really isn't all that much of a deal at the end of it (that should be a given for 98% of anything brought up in Comms :p ), it's just slightly odd to me that a nice, new feature of these boards is all of sudden not available for a (public... nobody has to sign up for access to the 7SA) particular forum.

8. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Just curious, but would it be possible to only have the last poster and the time stamp visible? I do have to admit, I found myself looking at that little box quite often and it does look odd to have that blank space there. I guess it's one of those things you don't notice how much you use until it's gone.

9. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    This is a fair enough point. That having been said, at what point do we acknowledge that this is a Star Wars site where Star Wars fans come to discuss Star Wars, and that we're about to get a metric crap-ton of new Star Wars material?

Darth_Nub, eht13 and benknobi1 like this.
  10. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    There are gonna be a lot of people on "ignore" once official images get turned into avatars by excited fans...

eht13 likes this.
  11. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    The solution is already built into the site. The site is structured in a way that allows you to have different expandable categories. I don't have the EU section expanded because I don't have interest in the EU. You can do the same thing for spoilers and non spoilers. Then people who want to see it can see it, and people who don't don't. Spoiler areas and non spoiler areas are inherently different, that's how they should be treated

There is no reason to pigeonhole everything under the broad umbrella of "films". You can create a spoiler area that can be hidden by default or expanded at will by those who want it just like any of the other sections. Then it's hidden until you want it. And if you want it, it's there for easy access. Best of all worlds

That's my thoughts on it anyway

But leaving it like it was is silly. Why bother having a spoiler free forum when you're going to put spoilers on the main page? What is the point in that?

12. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    I should add, I'm fine with what you've already done. I would be happy to see it left alone. Obviously, others here are not, so I thought I would add that suggestion. Take it for what you think it's worth!

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  13. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    I was thinking about this as well and I think it's possible. I'll check it out.

The only thing we've done here is remove thread activity from the site's feeds and hidden it from the main page (two features which, by the way, never existed on the old boards). We haven't blocked anyone from actually viewing this content. If you are a user who wishes to remain as spoiler free as possible, the last thing you'd want is to log in here or visit TFN main and see a thread title saying "CONFIRMED - Darth Snuffaluffagus kills Porkins Clone in Episode VII!!!!!1one" I think that's the least we can do for those who want to try remaining spoiler-free.

14. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Edit: Nevermind, I guess.

15. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    I get what you're saying, Grimby :cool: I was just asking at what point do we go "dude, really?"

16. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    Oh, there is definitely a point for that. I just don't think it's with 7SA thread titles being posted outside of 7SA.

17. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    Just a thought, but I would hazard a guess that there exists the ability to make these changes on a per-skin basis? If so, then have the default skin with it, and a specific 7NS variant that drops the information. Statistically from the PT the vast majority of people that come to these boards are going to either want or not care about spoilers, whereas those who make a specific choice to go spoiler free are more clued in about what they do and so if there is a quick note in a general "how to avoid spoilers" guide at the top of the 7NS forum with instructions as to what to do then all will be well.

18. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    This compromise works gloriously for me. While I left it publicly unsaid, my personal issue was that I actually quite heavily relied on seeing the latest activity alert. I moderate 3 forums... all of which are conveniently located together... and so I would rather frequently do the whole "Superman Returns" bit and hover out there for a moment and then dive down on the latest activity if all 3 forums were generating replies. At least being able to see that anything is afoot in 7SA lets me stay on that course.

eht13 and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  19. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    This is a good idea, but it might not be an option once we get the forum banners going again, which will eliminate the style chooser feature.

Jedi Merkurian and benknobi1 like this.
  20. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    Then might I suggest taking more time before implementing the individual forum banners again to tweak the system to have the options of "default forum banners" which will pick the banner selected for the overall boards and individual forum banners; and "style xxxx" which the individual sees on all pages they view, overriding the set banners for each individual area.

I ask not just in regards to this issue but also so I don't have to be subjected to analogs of the crap banners that were uploaded as 'acceptable' in the past.

Garth Maul likes this.
  21. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I like Captain Tom's suggestion but if separating a spoiler and non-spoiler general area is too big a pain for the mods to deal with, I'm certainly fine with what has already been done. I also appreciate Darth_Nub's honesty about the status of spoilers in the Saga forum.

I also remember that the spoiler forums had much heavier traffic than the non-spoiler ones in the PT days. That said, and this is something I brought up in the original NSA sign-up thread--I don't think people should have to avoid the largest Star Wars forum on the Internet if they don't want to be spoiled, and certainly not this far in advance of the film. There is so much more to Star Wars and this forum than the ST. There is the OT, the PT, the TV forum with the Rebels series coming out next fall, the Lit forum with books and comics coming out well before summer of 2015, the JCC where people don't discuss Star Wars at all. Maybe people come here without wanting to discuss the ST at all, much less get spoiled for it.

I appreciate what you all have done so far for those of us who don't want spoilers, and no, I don't expect you to monitor my TV. :p I just wanted to throw that comment out to dispel the idea that "anyone who logs into these boards is probably OK with or looking for new info on the ST".

22. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    All banners will have to be re-evaluated anyway, but I see your point.

23. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Me too. I like how we can now at least see when the last activity in the 7SA forum was and who posted it, even if we can't see the thread title.

24. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    In time, you will learn to simply assume there are between 10 and 10,000 new posts since the last time you checked the forum, depending on whether you blinked or took a nap.

25. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    The compromise is niiiiiice/works... I hope, though, that in the future we're able to have the ability to choose to have that feature turned back 'on'.