main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Then you should have bought them years ago - too late now! :)

2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Todd -- yeah definitely don't recall seeing that when I was there. Darn. I did see the Gateway of India this trip but the effect was lost because you're not allowed too close to it got security reasons.

Anyway, let me see if I can figure out how to link Facebook pictures while on mobile...

Is that a lion outside my window? Hello lion!!!

[​IMG]

This is the volcanic caldera I saw the lion in -- largest intact caldera in the world -- and the one I am correctly overlooking as I post.

[​IMG]

And here's something from my first evening on safari -- the sun overlooking the savannah in Maasai Mara, which is the Kenyan part of the Serengeti.

[​IMG]

Oh also this too:

[​IMG]

Misa ab iPhono meo est.

3. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Nice. I've been below the Tropic of Cancer, but haven't gone below the equator yet.

Funny enough the lions were nowhere to be seen when I went to the Barcelona Zoo. At least the bears and Iberian wolves were visible while they slept, but lions and tigers? Nope.

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Only been below the equator three times -- Peru, this trip, and a trip to Aussieland and NZ.

I've learned that lions are lazy so and SOS. Don't have any good shots of make lions bc they were always napping far off. Lionesses do work and would sometimes approach the jeep to rest in the shade. They're the only animals not to be scared in the slightest by jeeps. In fact, they'd chill surrounded by jeeps without a care in the world. I said earlier that antelopes were my favorite but I can't help but be impressed by their poise and sense of superiority. Regal indeed.

Zebras on the other hand... One of then pooped right in front of me. They're the opposite of classy!!

Misa ab iPhono meo est.

CooperTFN likes this.
  5. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Where did you go in Australia?

6. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Also FYI after tonight/breakfast tomorrow I won't see you folks until I return to the US late on Sat -- long travel days ahead with no wifi available. And a layover in Cairo which is not the greatest... should be fine just transiting in the airport in sure though.

JackG -- Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne, Hobart, Phillips Isle. Was almost three years ago now.

Misa ab iPhono meo est.

7. Arrian

Aug 15, 2011
    That is too good. Typical tourist, coming to my island.

8. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    It was part of a cruise, which means it was as typically tourist as they get.

I didn't much like that trip though --I prefer visiting more cultured locales, places with actual history :p :p

Misa ab iPhono meo est.

9. Arrian

Aug 15, 2011
    You saw the penguins too, did you? :p
    It is completely touristy down here, I'll tell you. Small world, nonetheless.
    But yes, I would say you're right -- Australia's pre-Dutch history is very limited in that the Aboriginal people used verbal history mostly, and before the arrival of the British there were no true towns/cities.

10. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Yep -- that was the only reason we were there. Admittedly it was funny to see those little guys fall over each other scurrying up the beach.

My favorite place in Australia was Melbourne. I spent a lot of time in the art museum -- as always my family dragged me out to condo boring things -- and the Arts Centre looked great.

Misa ab iPhono meo est.

11. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    My sister spent about 3 weeks in Australia in January and just loved it. So much that she's now really good friends with a guy from Melbourne. As such, I know that the "bourne" part sounds more like "bin" than "born".

12. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Lived in Melbourne back in the 90s for a while. Of course, I say "Melbin", which my American friends always comment on. "Melborn" is in Florida. :p

It's a fantastic city, full of great food and a truly diverse community. Also, high marks for public transit.

13. Arrian

Aug 15, 2011
    Melbourne is getting the love.[face_coffee] That's where I'll be studying next year.
    edit: krtmd -- your comment about public transport is amusing. Apparently it has taken a tumble down since when you were here. That being said, the media really did run away with the whole smartcard mess we had./tangent

14. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Huh. Well, mostly I was impressed by the trams, and the trains all being easy to use, and how the traffic laws were designed to accommodate the trams and not the cars - something that would never happen in the US, where all the streetcars were eliminated in favor of autos. Can't speak to the smart card thing, as that didn't exist when I was there. Still, I can't imagine it being worse that the DC metro, which, while clean, is often more expensive than driving and can't manage to keep the escalators running. And has it's own Smartcard issues.

15. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    Been to Australia twice, though I was fairly young both times. Favorite place was Uluru and Kata Tjuta. I will go back there someday.

16. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Ugh. Today's flights to Cairo are delayed. If that happens to orris, that means missing our connection. That is NOT something we want to happen. Americans in Cairo.... yeahhh.

17. Arrian

Aug 15, 2011
    ****. It was better than Yemen last week, though. Looking for positives here.

18. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    Welp, moved back in to my apartment in Morgantown to begin my senior year. Time to decide exactly what I'm going to do with my history degree and beat my liver into submission make good choices.

19. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Ooo. Charles Dance has been cast as Emhyr var Emreis, Emperor of Nilfgaard, in The Witcher 3. Cool beans.

The Loyal Imperial likes this.
  20. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    I didn't understand a single word there.

CooperTFN likes this.
  21. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    I kind of drifted off around the time this thread became a cross between a roman history lesson and a travelogue, so I can't help you. Sorry.

Zeta1127 likes this.
  22. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    "Ooo" expressed my interest in what I was about to say.

"Charles Dance" plays Tywin Lannister in GoT, and is pretty popular at the moment.

"Emhyr van Emreis" is a hugely important character in the Witcher franchise.

"The Witcher 3" is gonna be cool:

"Cool beans" just expresses a general sense of satisfaction.

HOPE THAT HELPED! :p

23. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Charles Dance also makes for an excellent Lord Vetinari!

24. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Go kick ass dude.

[​IMG]

25. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    I'm not sure which pleases me more. That Emhyr's going to be in it, or that he's Charles Dance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.