main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Species Bias

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Chewbacca89, Dec 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Well, his decoy was a human for a while, so it might be a reference to that. Or it could be ego based- Jabba THE Hutt.

2. Kyris Cavisek

Kyris Cavisek Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    Originally I thought Hutt was intended to be a title not a species. Hutt was like saying the Don. It was later that it became his species

3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Wasn't it "Hut" early on? The comics always spelled it that way- I'm not sure if the ANH novel did though.

4. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    Anzati... :)
    Some days ago, I met a couple of Anzati in a cantina. They weren't that bad! Nice people...
    Everyone has to eat, right? Survival of the fittest...

Gungans... :)
    Hoojibs... :)

5. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    On the topic of Hutts... A few years ago, when my brother and I were working on our audio adaptation of Yavin Vassilika, we were reading over Embra and Malta's dialogue to find various vocal tics and nuances that helped characterize them, so that we could come up with voices for them. We looked at what they said, how they said it, how they described their business practices, and used that to determine some tired stereotype from which we could springboard off of. Here's what we came up with:

Malta is an old Hutt who is set in his ways. He's sneaky and underhanded, he doesn't trust his employees, and he's not above simply offing them if they displease him. He's like Jabba, only more so. Judging by his appearance and how he bickered with Jabba and Embra because they were too "soft" on their hired help, we felt that a Don Corleone voice suited him well. To us, old fat Malta was a classic mafia don.

Embra is a young upstart who became successful rather quickly. He's new to the scene, but he is definitely not naive in any way, shape, or form. Embra believes in straight-forward business practices and takes the time to get to know the people in his employ. He doesn't readily threaten his clients with death by rancor, and he told Jabba and Malta that their old ways simply were not viable ways to maintain a proper organization. He is also big on paperwork. No doubt does his own accounting, too. To us, Embra was a Jewish stereotype, and his voice was modeled to suit. I was basically instructed to do a "male Fran Drescher."

Embra and Malta, after a while and despite their brief appearances in the comic (only one issue and then a voice-over from Embra at the end? They deserve more than that!) gradually took on lives of their own. While we played around and became comfortable with the voices we selected, we moved them beyond their initial stereotypes. Granted, any new bits of their personalities may only find their way into fanfic, but Malta and Embra had grown into their own. In that instance, stereotypes were our friends. Its gave us something to go on. And really, if that's what it takes to get a character personality started, so be it. Use it as a stepping stone, but don't use it as a crutch.

6. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    The thing about zeltrons is that we rather quickly were introduced to many members of their species and they all acted like life was a party. Interesting some of the named zeltrons that has appeared "lately" in the EU are weary un-zeltron-like: Demagol, Chantique, Vianna D'Pow.

the mon cal Morn was part of the Black Sun syndicate and had attained the rank of Vigo

Huh, I always saw Neimodians as British

Is there anywhere this one can hear this audio adaptation?

7. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Oh even Dani and Blue are somewhat of a breaker in trends here given their thrill seeking, though granted that might just fall under extreme Hedonism. There is also Lyshaa how just happened to enjoy killing a little to much.

There are also a few Mon Cal pirates, Slavers and Bounty Hunters

He! We Brits are way more like the Hutts then the Neimodians. :p

8. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    I think I heard it said once that "the Hutt" was originally a title.

And arguably still is - the lower ranked Hutts tend not to be known as "the Hutt", at the most being called "the H'uun" or something like that. Plus, there is some linguistic evidence that in Huttanese "Hutt" means "glorious."

9. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    It seems that in Huttese, adjectives go before the noun (as exemplified by "D'emperiolo teesaw," translated as 'Imperial cruiser' or "Huttuk koga" rendered as 'Hutt-sized bed.'*) In fact, Hutt probably means something like "jewel," since Nal Hutta is "glorious jewel." It's still quite grandiose!

* Both examples come from the Galactic Phrase Book & Travel Guide, and there are many others.

MercenaryAce likes this.
  10. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Why do you see it that way, hunter?

11. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

The Empire building thing.

12. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    I always considered Empress Teta (from the TOTJ comics) to be British.

13. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    We really need more Empresses/Emperors, much more fun then Kings and Queens.

14. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Ah, I see. To me the Hutts are more Italian: once prude imperial builders, now known for their corruption, mafia and bunga bunga parties

the Neimodians remind me of the East Indian trading company

Chewbacca89 likes this.
  15. Darth Droid

Darth Droid Jedi Master star 2

Jul 4, 2013
    This may have been said already, but the Vong really spring to mind here. I know we did get to eventually see more sides of them, but there still aren't any particularly "good" members of their society.

Also Hutts and whatever species Sebulba is

16. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Dugs? They get a bit more support in TCW.

17. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Why do you see Neimodians as Asians and Corellians as Italians?

Why do you see Corellians as Texans?

18. Joe

Joe Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 25, 2012
    I could see Corellians as Texans because of the rogue, independent "cowboy" spirit of both.

Random Comments likes this.
  19. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    The Dugs in TCW were still pretty bad.

20. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Unlike the toydarians who are nothing like the redneck Watto

MercenaryAce and Revanfan1 like this.
  21. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    In response to the OP:

[​IMG]

MercenaryAce and Gamiel like this.
  22. jacktherack

jacktherack Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2008
    "Peoples see two Devaronians Together, peoples assume they are up to something. Peoples are usually right." -Vilmarh Grahrk

23. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Did Grahrk really just stereotype his own species? :confused:

24. jacktherack

jacktherack Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2008
    pretty much although to be fair he was just trying to get a point across to his cousin that they should not be discussing certian things in public.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  25. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Oh, yeah. His cousin. From those comics Before Vilmarh Was Popular.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.