main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

7NS Issue: Can we somehow block "latest post" on the main page?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Garth Maul, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    If that ever becomes possible, we can do that.

DarthTunick likes this.
  2. Juliet316

Juliet316 37X Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Wasn't there a policy last time about not making spoiler images into icons until after a certain amount of time had passed?

3. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

How possible/realistic is it?

4. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    I certainly see your point - while my attitude towards spoilers in Saga is that it should be very much 'enter at your own risk', for the reasons I've stated in the current policy (i.e. certain spoilers may be relevant), I really don't want to exclude those users trying to go spoiler-free who still want to discuss, say, the Rinzler ROTJ book, the Dark Horse adaptation of 'The Star Wars' or simply post in the 'Favourite SW character' thread.

For the time being, I think the current rules I've posted should work in principle. I'd rather not have to hamstring any discussions by forcing users to post large slabs of text in black highlight, hence why I think simply mentioning spoilers in thread titles or at the start of a post is the best approach - for now.

The test will be when actual spoilers start coming to light. When that happens, there's going to be loads more traffic, and the real issue of spoilers in Saga and all the other forums will become apparent. If some clowns decide to spam the Saga forum with spoiler details in the thread titles, they'll be edited/warned/banned for being a nuisance, but not for violating a non-existent spoiler policy.
    On the other hand, I don't want to come down too hard on new users making innocent mistakes - much less long-term users who might let something slip. I've decided not to post in 7NSA for that very reason, unless it's moderator business.

If it becomes a serious issue, it'll be time for another discussion, and I'll do what I can to keep the peace.:)

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  5. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    I can't see why Saga shouldn't be able to use the rules we had in Lit long ago, where you never gave any spoilers in the title, and either had to tag a thread as having spoilers or hide the text (which is easy now with the spoiler markup code) inside a thread if it is relevant to the discussion. If the amount of spoiler information became overwhelming in a thread not specifically marked then the mods either tag the thread as a spoiler thread, or ask the posters to refrain from spoilers and create a second thread if they want to keep discussing spoiler based info (based upon what is the current overall trend of the thread).

6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I understand why Saga posters might want to discuss the relevance of new information on the ST to the rest of the Saga, i.e. "Jar-Jar Binks revealed as Bane Reincarnated! Would you have guessed this from TPM?" As such I will probably avoid that forum altogether starting Christmas 2014 or so, just as I always avoided TCW episode discussion threads until I had seen the episode and I avoid certain threads in Lit until I have read the material. As long as I know what threads/forums I need to avoid, and nobody tells me "you need to avoid the entire message board", I'm good.

That said, I really like Dingo's suggestion about no spoilers in the thread titles, and the spoiler tag is a lot more user friendly than a wall of blacked-out text.

Darth_Nub likes this.
  7. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    Thanks guys for fixing the issue in the OP.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  8. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    Fortunately there will be enough traffic in the Rebels forum in late 2014/early 2015 to keep me busy and away from Spoiler threads. ;)

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  9. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Already added to the forum rules, and that will be something I'll be enforcing, as opposed to just requesting it as a courtesy. And yes, if a thread does become quite full of spoilers I'll tag the thread if it isn't already.

I imagine the only threads that will become really jam-packed with spoilers in Saga will be the old 'Historical' Sequel Trilogy thread and similar ones about the changing structures of the SW Saga and the like. Most likely anything else will end up redirected over to 7SA if it becomes too focused on Episode VII & ST stuff, much as I send threads to EUC or Lit if they end up being just about the EU.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  10. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Way to go. [face_not_talking] :p

11. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    It would require building a whole add-on from scratch, which is not something anyone here has ever done.

12. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    There's a first time for everything...

:p

13. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    I'd have to go back, way back :)

Can't remember if it was only when they were officially released or not.

Sent from my SGH-M919V using Tapatalk 2

14. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I can't recall but I know in the past Lit has had rules about spoiler icons. I think the last time it was really enforced was when Jacen was revealed as Darth Caedus and the subsequent death of Mara Jade..

15. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    Gah, spoilers!

16. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I remember the first "official" image of General Grievous was on the cover of one of the novels (Boba Fett: A New Threat), April 2004 -- over a year before ROTS. There was some debate surrounding the avatar issue with that one, since it was definitely a spoiler. Heck, at the time even the spoiler fans barely new who/what Grievous was supposed to be -- the cover was released months in advance and the Genndy Tartakovsky TCW episode featuring the good general hadn't even aired yet! Even Hyperspace hadn't revealed the "official" Grievous design.

I don't remember what was ultimately decided back then. But it's something to consider for the spoiler-wary: the EU might try to cash in on the ST wave early and start publishing stuff featuring brand new ST characters long before the movies hit the theaters.

17. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Avatars? What are these people not going to turn on their TV's, or go out of their houses until December 2015?

If someone is that concerned about avoiding spoilers maybe they should just stop coming here until the film comes out. If an new film character ends up on the cover of a book and I want to use that as my avatar, I say tough luck to those who would consider that a spoiler.

Since I won't be in the NSA I don't see why there would be a problem anyway. If people want to venture beyond there they do so at their own risk. No need to remake the wheel here.

18. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    There's really only two routes you can go on the avatar question, and it's either you ban them outright, in all sections, and delete the avatars of violators, or you make access to NSA conditional on their not being used, with the caveat that you leave NSA and check avatars at your own risk. I really don't like the former.

That said, you should be able to block avatars entirely using most adblocking software via prohibiting <div class="avatarHolder">.

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I don't know that it's really fair to say that people who don't want spoilers should just disappear from the site until 2015. As I pointed out a couple of times earlier, it's not as if Episode VII is the only aspect of the Star Wars franchise. What if we want to discuss some other aspect of the franchise without inadvertently finding out that Ahsoka Tano appears in the ST only to get eaten by Ewoks at a banquet in Asajj Ventress' honor?

That said, as far as avatars--I personally don't care if someone uses an avatar of what Luke looks like in Episode VII, and at this point I can't envision a major spoiler being given away in an avatar unless it's detailed enough to show a major character on a funeral pyre. Even as someone who is not likely to watch trailers, I'm OK knowing character names. I'm a lot more concerned about a spoiler being disclosed in a signature.

20. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Not what I said. If someone is going to get upset and scream "spoiler" because someone puts an image of the teaser poster as their avatar, that is really extreme. Or if they are going to get upset because someone changes their avatar to a picture of Luke Skywalker from a lead in novel cover - lets just say common sense needs to apply. If people are that sensetive to the situation that isn't the fault of anyone else.

Where do you draw the line though? If episodes of Rebel's contains potential spoilers for Epiosde 7 does the TV forum have to label the discussion thread for each Episode 'Episode 7 Spoilers' just incase? Or should people trying to avoid spoilers take some responsibility to themselves?

Now the talk is about telling people what they can and can not use on their own user profiles, which is getting a tad more personal. So long as someone isn't breaking the TOS I don't see why everyone needs to be so worried about spoiling someone, in even the smallest way, with thier own user profile. A little bit of courtesy involving Episode 7 spoilers for you folks that don't wish to be spoiled would be awesome. You have your own forum, several forums will enforce the "Ep 7 Spoilers" in their thread titles, and the EP 7 Spoiler forum topics aren't visible without actually entering the forum. All good things.

All I'm asking is that those who don't want to be spoiled exercise some common sense and caution in how they interact with the areas of the forum where spoilers are allowed or may be present. Don't go into the Disney take over discussion in Lit and then be surprised their are spoilers there just because it doesn't have a spolier tag in the thread title.

21. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    For what is worth, you can easily disable other people's signatures from your settings panel.

22. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011

Good to know, thanks.

I haven't opened that thread in a couple of months for precisely the reason you mentioned.

That was my point.

I've never known a teaser poster to give away anything more than the image of a character and maybe a pairing (hello, ESB). I've looked at most teaser posters for movies and thought "Who the hell is that?" until I actually saw the film. The people who are concerned about teaser posters will have to speak up here; I'm not one of them.

Signatures are another matter; signatures could give away a lot.

I'm trying to remember the avatars from 2003-2004 and how much of ROTS they gave away, but I think we're in a different situation here anyway; an avatar of KFC'ed!Anakin wouldn't be a spoiler for anyone who has seen the OT. An avatar of Padme in her coffin would have been more of a spoiler.

23. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    There were icons made from the Trailers. I remember people using several of them after the trailers released and the icons were made. But for the most part it was just fan art. But there were icons that by their own definition could be consider spoilers.

24. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    I just realized that the original issue of this thread is still present on this page. Somebody might wanna look into fixing that.

25. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003