main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A character with a different sexuality in Star Wars EU?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Kran Starborn, Aug 16, 2013.

1. Kran Starborn

Kran Starborn Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 19, 2013
    I don't see it happening anytime soon unless it has happened and I just didn't know it yet. But what would you think if there was a character in the Star Wars EU that was of a different sexuality?

Adrian the Cool likes this.
  2. zark

zark Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2009
    Well, Hutts are hermaphroditic. Does that count?

There was discussion at one point in the development of one of the Kotor games of having the Kathar character be of alternative sexual persuasion, but for whatever reason (I will not pretend to speak for him) Lucas decided not to go with that at that time.

3. Kran Starborn

Jul 19, 2013
    No they don't really count. And I would figure Lucas wouldn't be that open to having characters with different sexual preferences within the Star Wars Universe.

4. Rebecca_Daniels

Rebecca_Daniels Force Ghost star 5

Sep 3, 2006
    I haven't read the books, and I can't remember which book it is, but I looked this up myself not too long ago and there are a couple of gay and lesbian characters now. Goran Beviin comes up with just a bit of googling. "After the Yuuzhan Vong War, Beviin settled down on Mandalore with his husband, Medrit Vasur, and their daughter, Dinua." I was sure there was at least a couple more, but unfortunately since the Makeb addition to SW:TOR, trying to google it just bombards me with that instead.

They claimed at one point that Juhani falling in love with a female Revan was just a glitch. :rolleyes:

5. Skywalker_T-65

Skywalker_T-65 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 19, 2009
    Yeah, I could have sworn Juhani was more 'fond' of Fem-Revan. Good to know I wasn't misremembering that.

(for the record, I use 'fond' since the only romances that are confirmed to happen are Revan/Carth or Revan/Bastila)

6. Kran Starborn

Jul 19, 2013

So Goran Beviin where can I read him about where he is featured in a book?

7. Rebecca_Daniels

Sep 3, 2006
    On his wookiee page he's got a list of appearances - pretty much all LotF.

8. Kran Starborn

Jul 19, 2013
    Do you know how big of a character he was in those books? And also what are your thoughts on the fact there is a character of different sexuality within Star Wars? I guess I am curious because till you just showed me I thought characters like that were non-existent.

9. Rebecca_Daniels

Sep 3, 2006
    They pretty much are non-existent. I read LotF, and while I didn't enjoy it very much, I never even noticed that Beviin was supposed to be gay. There's subtlety, and then there's subtlety. Honestly I only read LotF once, and only right when they came out, so I'd have to read them again to see what I thought of the character. I vaguely remember liking him, but that's about it.

Overall though, I'd be thrilled if more non-male, non-white, non-straight characters were in Star Wars, or any combination thereof. The rules might change because Disney, I don't know. I was really glad to hear that SW:TOR's expansion allows same-sex romances (albeit very minor romances) but the books have always been lacking in that department.

10. squir1y

squir1y Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2003
    There's a KOTOR mod where you can make a female Revan fall for Bastila. And I think there's one for male Revan and Carth too.

11. Kran Starborn

Jul 19, 2013
    Okay I had to read this a few times and I don't completely get what you mean are you saying you would like to see a black female character who is a lesbian within star wars?

12. SWBob

SWBob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 19, 2003
    i think she means more of each type not nessisarilly one character with all of those traits, but that would be one hell of a character. :p

13. squir1y

squir1y Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2003
    Okay someone is bound to say it. I'll be the one: Artoo and Threepio.

14. SWBob

SWBob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 19, 2003
    [face_laugh] I always wondered. They fight like a married couple.

15. Kran Starborn

Jul 19, 2013
    I want this to be serious topic but I actually can't help but add to this as well because it feels so true what you said. And its obvious that Artoo wears the "pants" in the relationship and Threepio is like the nagging wife always telling Artoo what to do or telling him off and stuff.

16. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It's brought up in the Han Solo trilogy that Moff Sarn Shild, in The Hutt Gambit, is not attracted to human women- and he conceals this by having somebody pose as his mistress.

However, it's left unclear as to what he is attracted to.

17. Rebecca_Daniels

Sep 3, 2006
    I've always felt that there are characters that are "implied" to have different sexualities, but even then it's rare. And yes, it's as Bob said. A combination would be great though.

18. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    THIS REALLY IS A TOPIC MORE FOR LIT. MOVING IT THERE.

19. THE EVIL CLIFFIE

THE EVIL CLIFFIE Jedi Master star 2

Jul 11, 2008

Actually, I watched a GDC talk by David Gaider, the lead writer for Dragon Age and the guy who wrote Carth, on sexuality in games, and he said that they didin't get any kind of executive veto on Juhani being a lesbian - he claims they self-censored. I'm not sure how true that is, though.

20. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    Not really the same but there was a male Twi'lek in that one Aurra Sing comic who got a sex-and-species change to become a female human.

21. Kran Starborn

Jul 19, 2013
    I think the fact characters sexualities are so subtle is because well sex obviously isn't a big part of the SWU. I mean they are so busy trying to stop whatever threat that its not important to show off who they are attracted to.

22. Rebecca_Daniels

Sep 3, 2006
    Except for everyone going off and having children, getting married. Even in the middle of the YV war there was tons of romancing. Sexual orientation doesn't mean sex.

Contessa likes this.
  23. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    Star Wars is a franchise that is beloved by all age groups, children and adults alike. Why does this topic have to be have to be shoehorned into the franchise? Not sure where you are coming from, but why does this even matter? It's like starting a debate about the sexuality of the dwarves in Snow White ... why? Just enjoy the story! If you want to really know the sexual preference of characters, then just use your imagination.

EECHUUTA likes this.
  24. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    Although having said the above, Wedge Antilles often dabbled into inter-species erotica, specifically with Qwi Xux. So for a 'different sexuality' ... you can't get more different than that. 'Look at the size of that thing' ... was a quote that Wedge was often known to make. However, Qwi would use this back at him. And in the tradition of Tim Zahn, Wedge would reply 'Point'.

25. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Corran Horn had an ottersexual experience. Does that count!

Havac likes this.