main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Unpopular Star Wars opinions!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Feelicks, Feb 23, 2013.

1. VanishingReality

VanishingReality Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2013
    I got into the fandom with the PT, so it was absolutely a huge shock for me that Star Wars fans actually didn't like those movies. Especially Jar jar, who I thought was a pretty charming character - an alien comic relief. While I still love the PT, the OT grew on me. It has wonderful characters, better acting, more creative scenery, and a more optimistic tone that appeals to me. So, I prefer the OT more despite being a huge PT fan.

At the risk of probably being the most unpopular SW opinion ever, I find ANH and TPM have a lot of similar formulas to them. A hero starting their journey from Tattooine, comic relief from the droids and Jar Jar, the wise mentor (Obi-wan vs Qui-gon), The Princess (Leia vs Padme) being guided through enemy terrritory. The plot just reminds me of a sci-fi version of the Toshiro Mifune movie Hidden Fortress.

kainee, d_arblay and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  2. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013
    You guy's can send all the OT fans their therapy bill, cause I didn't know you both had a degree in Star Wars Psychology. ;):p

Next time you guys analyze why people don't like the films, can you please ask them to lay on the couch as that's more professional. :p

And my nephews like the OT more, and they didn't grow up with the OT. Analyze that??? ;)

Lucas was a big fan of Hidden Fortress, so its well-known that the Original Star Wars resembles it very much.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  3. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    Easy - you did what most of the people who don't like the PT do. Showed them the films 4-6 1-3 instead of the proper 1-6, or just didn't show them the PT at all. And most likely instilled in them a dislike of the PT throughout the experience.

Everyone I'VE shown the Saga to has liked the PT better, including me.

4. Carbon1985

Apr 23, 2013
    I knew you would answer that, but youre wrong. They were very young, and I showed them TPM first, cause I knew that one is the most kid-friendly. Then I waited a bit and then showed them AOTC, ANH and ROTJ, and they saw ESB right before they saw ROTS in the theaters in 2005.

So my order to them was 1,2,4,6,5,3.

I'm not trying to argue which movies are better, or which way is the right way, my argument is to STOP ASSUMING you guys know why fans like or don't like the movies! EVERYONE is different! ;)

5. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    I wrote this a long time ago, so what the heck: Hayden Christensen is a good actor.

6. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

Sure that, or you could simply stop generalizing like it's racing out of style and cease totally taking my view out of context.

- Signed
    an OT lover

7. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Moving on from this broken-record debate, one opinion of mine which I've never been able to tell whether it was "unpopular" is that TPM is unambiguously a superior film to AOTC. The "general public's" opinion - inasmuch as that can ever be identified - seems to rank them around the same level, but a look through the "Rank the films from 1 to 6" thread seems to indicate a fair number of other fans feel this way.

jaqen, kainee and VanishingReality like this.
  8. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Couldn't put it better myself. I know this is a thread for 'Unpopular SW opinions', but arguing over the motivations behind such opinions is violating the 'films nor fans' rule, and sending the thread towards quick lockage isn't fun for anyone.

Carbon1985 and jaqen - kiss and make up, shake hands, agree to disagree, I don't care, just drop it.

jaqen likes this.
  9. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Adding onto this...

Ever notice the way Christensen carries himself as he walks? And this is VERY noticeable in scenes where he's with Ian McDiarmid. Remind you of anything?
    [​IMG][​IMG]

10. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Um yea, big surprise, he tilts his head to speak with someone smaller than him. Like every large person does.

11. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Not so much the head tilt as the WAY he walks as he does it. Very subtle, but not even in scenes with Palpatine. For example, the way Christensen mimicks Prowse's body gestures is apparent pretty much anywhere. Like watch the scene where Padme sees Anakin after he wakes up from his nightmare on Naboo. Very well done

12. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Yes, I have noticed this too sometimes. I respect Hayden for all the dedication he put into this role. But sadly I can't overlook his facial expression and line delivery.

Ordo N-11 likes this.
  13. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

For me TPM has just aged better than AOTC.

I always liked TPM. With time there are parts that I came to like less, but there are portions that I've just fallen even more in love with. TMP to me sits alongside Empire as the visual crown jewel of the saga. I truly believe that if some auteur Japanese filmmaker released TPM, unattached from the greater Star Wars saga, it would have been far better received. It truly is a visual masterpiece, with some extremely interest themes and characters. A lot of it felt like Lucas trying to break new ground and explore his more avant garde side.

Attack, upon initial viewing, was far superior to Menace. I remember a lot of people at the time saying that it was the redemption of the prequels. I remember just loving it, especially the final 40 minutes, and having a really great time at the theatre. I made excuses for the weaker parts, being a diehard fan. But with time, and the glow of enthusiasm, it just completely falls apart. While I still enjoy the finale from the arena on, the previous hour and a half or so feels almost pointless. The digital effects are WAY overboard, it's nowhere near as stunning to look at as Menace, and the acting is atrocious from Natalie Portman and quite weak in a lot of places for Hayden. And the whole mystery element, while perhaps interesting on paper, doesn't' work in execute. Bad, poorly paced love story and a worthless mystery. It had it's moments, but the movie only starts to kick in during the final half hour or so.

kainee and Darth_Nub like this.
  14. d_arblay

d_arblay Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2005
    I actually disagree. From the very first time I watched it, I found the last 30 minutes or so a complete bombardment of the senses. It's like a Michael Bay Star Wars movie. I had a headache leaving the cinema. I felt it was quite over indulgent (and one of the principle reasons I still think it's the worst film in the series). On the contrary, I think the 40 minutes or so from Obi-Wan's meeting with Jango up until Shmi's funeral is amongst the finest sections of the entire saga. The pacing, acting, suspense, visuals and story content are all a delight. I never tire of it.

kainee, jaqen and Visivious Drakarn like this.
  15. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

I don't find the finale an assault on the senses at all, but I will give you that a lot of the time between Obi-Wan hitting Kamino and Shmi's funeral is quality stuff. While I don't care for any of the Anakin/Padme bonding scenes, I do enjoy almost all their time on Tatooine.

d_arblay likes this.
  16. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    I just finished AOTC. I still love it . . . just as much as I love ESB.

Andy Wylde, kainee, FRAGWAGON and 2 others like this.
  17. Loupgarou

Loupgarou Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 19, 2010
    While i don't find TPM a good movie, i would say it's perhaps not AS bad as people say it is. I can imagine getting a good movie with only a (relative) few cuts and additions. AOTC on the other hand is just bloated and contradictory and
    If TPM's script would have been peer-reviewed just one more time, and had just someone a little more savvy in the editing chair, it could have been a good movie. AOTC needs a full rewrite.

Mandalorian'sForTheWin and Sarge like this.
  18. Mit-Fisto

Mit-Fisto Jedi Master star 1

Jun 23, 2002
    The link to the amazing fan edited 7 hour Youtube documentary was shut down before I finished it. Im sure this is very unpopular. Any ideas of where to see it now? Pls help..your my only hope

19. Sur-Gon Jinn

Sur-Gon Jinn Jedi Youngling

Aug 14, 2013
    Boba Fett is the most overrated character in film history with tentacle head guy (forget his name..the squid that dies last when mace et al confront sidious) a close second. Boba had minimal screen time and just stood around "looking cool" When he's actually, in the films, as bad as any storm trooper seeing as how a blind man dumps him in the sarlaac by accident.

Hayden was perfect for Anakin. I couldn't see anyone else playing him. And any flack Hayden get's for his "performance" is more the fault of the script and Lucas than any failing Hayden has as an actor.

I like all the changes in the OT special editions et al. And Han not shooting first doesn't change his character in the slightest bit.

Asari are Twi'lek slave girls that escaped and ended up in our galaxy..settled a planet and "evolved" to fit the new environment..including their head tentacles shrinking and growing more smaller ones and being able to reproduce with any gender and any species :)

wobbits, kainee and Darth Raiden like this.
  20. Carbon1985

Apr 23, 2013
    This is for my fellow PT fans: ROTS is the worst of the 3. It's strange because I thought it was the best of the 3 in 2005, and after watching many times on DVD/BluRay I think its the worst now

-The turn scene (which is the key to the whole PT) just doesn't work for me, as its too quick and its just not believable. I don't say this to convince anyone either way, because if a viewer doesn't buy such a major scene to a movie, then the rest may fall apart.

-The opening 20 minutes is a bore-fest, as Anakin/Obiwan have no chemistry, and the Dooku battle is underwhelming.

-The last hour is too much of a checklist for Lucas to get every plot point that fans wanted to see since 1983. The last hour SHOULD have been Episode 3, letting each scene breath alittle bit, and develop more, rather then: Anakin turns to the darkside, Check! Order 66, Check! Padme has the kids, Check!

-Speaking of Padme having the kids, I still don't like the way she died, but I'm sure this has been debated a zillion times.

-I think I like Episode III alot more in 2005 simply because THIS is the story I wanted to see, so the great plot points clouded the mess that the movie is.

vinsanity likes this.
  21. Sur-Gon Jinn

Sur-Gon Jinn Jedi Youngling

Aug 14, 2013

agree with pretty much everything but wouldn't call it the worst personally (my own opinion obviously) I can still watch it much easier than I can sit through AotC.

That said I wanted to add;

The Anakin vs Obi-Wan fight is overrated. The start of it is great..and it's awesome up till the shield goes down and they have to dodge molten rocks and swing on the wires to hit each other. It's at this point the duel takes a serious nose-dive and is just waaaay to long. But then ends well at least.

Minez01, vinsanity and Carbon1985 like this.
  22. Darth Raiden

Darth Raiden Jedi Master star 3

Aug 28, 2013
    I almost cried manly tears at the end of ROTS... What can I say I'm bit of a sappy git. Plus I didn't mind Hayden a the force ghost in ROTJ. I always felt it was weird seeing Shaw at the end when I was younger, especially after seeing ATOC

wobbits, Jarren_Lee-Saber and kainee like this.
  23. Darth Raiden

Darth Raiden Jedi Master star 3

Aug 28, 2013
    And the whole Han did or didn't shoot scene... Yeah I ain't really that bothered if he did or not cos I still think you're cool Han!!!

kainee and FRAGWAGON like this.
  24. -Jedi Joe-

-Jedi Joe- Jedi Master star 2

May 6, 2013
    I liked Chewie's Tarzan yell...

25. Dasan

Dasan Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 7, 2013
    Yes, this is an unpopular opinion I share. I could not care less whether he shot first or not, because either way, he is defending himself. If he shot first, he did so in the context of being told directly he was about to be killed, so firing first was a defensive act not a cold-blooded one. Killing someone who has shot at you is no different than killing someone who has told you flat out they intend to kill you. I don't know what the big deal is, especially since in the theatrical cut, it is not even clear who shot first.