main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion The Saga & the Sequels: Role of the Skywalker family

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by Garth Maul, Aug 8, 2013.

1. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    Either this, or they'll all be sitting on a beach, drinking rum. :p

Oops, wrong Disney franchise.

But yes, more curveballs, but it'll be hard to do those if they stray too far from the established movie material.

2. walldoggy

walldoggy Jedi Knight

Aug 7, 2013
    I would think the Skywalker family would be central to the movie, much like the first two trilogies. However, as beloved and important the Big 3 are, I would hope for a story/stories centered around the next generation of Skywalkers and Solo's. Luke, Leia and Han can take on the elder/wise/grandparent role, there for some continuity and ties to the past, but not the focus.

And what of R2D2 and C3PO? No love for them?

Trebor Sabreon and kainee like this.
  3. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I expect (and hope) to see R2-D2 and C-3PO in the ST.

4. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I wonder if Threepio will be any more upgraded... and it will be interesting to see if he gets dismembered at any point. I hope so because it's hilarious and the Skywalker's do have a tendency to lose limbs. ;)

5. walldoggy

walldoggy Jedi Knight

Aug 7, 2013
    I wonder if R2 will be able to fly around again? And really, one would hope C3PO will be able to move a little faster than what he could do in the first two trilogies. He didn't seem to advance much over the years.

Legacy Jedi Endordude and kainee like this.
  6. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    I'd like to see if it spreads somehow that Vader was Luke's father and if that has any impact on his authority and the respect he receives.

Also like to see something about the GFFA in general and how they perceive the Jedi - certainly seemed like it might be hard for the average person to understand the difference between Jedi and Sith, and you have this former Jedi Master leading the Separatists against...other Jedi....who were treasonous and tried to kill the Chancellor/Emperor.

"Tell me, Master Skywalker, does the Republic even want the Jedi to be involved in our affairs?" :p

7. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    I honestly think that Anakin did kill Padme. I don't think he meant to kill her, but he was quite high on Sith power and likely didn't know his own strength. I think she held on just long enough to deliver, but whatever life 'Force' he squashed in her couldn't hang on without that motivator of keeping her kids alive.

Legacy Jedi Endordude likes this.
  8. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Imagine how much more depressing it would have been if Padme had lived, as we originally thought, and had to live, knowing that her husband was one of the biggest monsters the galaxy had ever seen, and she had a son she would never get to see.

Darth_Pevra and kainee like this.
  9. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    My experience was similar, in that the name of Ryan Gosling didn't move me to think "ah, yes, he'd be perfect" in the same way that the announcement of Ewan as Obi-Wan did years ago (maybe Ryan would be great, but I just wasn't struck by the immediate sense that he was made for the role), but the one part of the Gosling rumor that left me quite hopeful was the mention that he was being considered for the role of Luke's son.

Like a lot of folks, this is the one character I've most been looking to see realized since the talk of "passing the torch" to the next generation of heroes began last autumn. As my signature suggests, I'm real high on the Skywalker 'father/son' thing, and having the opportunity to see this particular dynamic between Luke and his son unfold in the ST interests me greatly. It's something which has just begun to really deliver in the EU between Luke and Ben, and though I harbor no illusions that the ST will be a slave to the EU, I'd hate to see this potential thread abandoned in the films without even a look. And incidentally, as far as my shameless love of SW action scenes is concerned, the prospects of watching "Ben" igniting a shimmering blue blade and fighting side by side with his dad just thrills me to no end.

Another consideration you've touched upon is the continuation of the name "Skywalker" beyond Luke, and the fact is the addition of a male Skywalker 'heir' at least keeps the door open for characters in future stories sharing the family name. Some will counter that through Leia's potential children, the Skywalker blood will live on, and this is true, of course, but the name (for whatever it's worth), would not. This reminds me of another thought I've had (though one probably best left for another discussion) concerning the Skywalker name and its heritage: I'd be very interested in learning more about Shmi's ancestors - the Skywalker's who came before. Though they probably wouldn't be Force-sensitive (I don't know, though, I suppose some could be), there could be some great stories there, just waiting to be explored.

I also believe that, as the world's biggest fan of Luke, I'm just naturally more interested in seeing his story, and that of his children, than I am the story of Han and Leia's progeny. That said, I'm a sucker for any well-written and acted character, so I don't imagine it would take all that much for me to fall for any son or daughter Solo, either.

And this brings me to the question of Han and Leia's children - also known as the next generation of Skywalker-Naberrie-Organa-Solo's (do we know Han's mother's maiden name yet?). :D I'm excited for the possibilities here, too. The bigger part of me thinks I'd rather we see only a daughter Solo paired with the new son of Skywalker - thus keeping some semblance of what has come before in the literature alive (something which would probably be enough to keep both the film and EU contingent happy) - but I'd be open to seeing some additions (I'd welcome, say, the Solo twins). Seeing Han and Leia acting as parents should prove... interesting. And entertaining.

As to the original crop of heroes, for thirty years now, I've envisioned the adventures of Luke, Leia and Han following Endor and for those who were there, the chance to finally catch up with the heroes of our childhoods is just too good to pass up, yes?

Personally, I've always envisioned Luke as the Grand Master of the New Order, his incredible powers fully-realized, the greatest dualist ever produced and a patient and wise instructor, instrumental in bringing the Jedi back to the fore. People have speculated that the events of Episodes I and IV hint that Luke will serve the role of mentor in Episode VII - aged and wise, only to die at the hand of the new baddie. For purposes of continuity, I'm big on seeing Lucas' predilection for his 'rhyming' technique continued in the ST, but that said, I'm not convinced that killing Luke off (especially in the first installment of the ST) is necessarily the best way to go. I suppose I see it as just too predictable?

As to the question of action scenes, displays of power, and the like, are the Big3 simply too old to expect a strong showing? Have we missed our chance at seeing Luke in his Jedi prime? Though I would have loved to have seen the sequel to the Star Wars trilogy filmed sometime c. 1986, with Luke beginning the process of reviving the Order (starting with his sister), I'd like to believe that, even accounting for the question of age, there will still be plenty of room in the films provided for Han brandishing his blaster with pinpoint accuracy, Leia demonstrating her guile, cunning and newfound Force powers in dealing with friend and foe, alike, and yes, Luke showing us all what he has learned over the course of the last thirty years, depicted with his peerless lightsaber technique on full display, and his incredible abilities with the Force put to inspiring, devastating effect.

This is not to say I wish for the OT heroes to carry the weight of the action scenes, as I await with bated breath all of the things "Ben" and "Jaina" might do, and I absolutely feel that, generally speaking, the action stars of the ST should be the new generation. So yes, I'm quite with those who look forward to seeing the next generation of Skywalker's flourish in the ST. It's just that, after waiting for decades for this chance, I'm ready to see at least some time spent showing that the old guard still have what it takes, too. After all, if Qui-Gon Jinn, Yoda, Dooku, Sidious and Ben Kenobi can still cut the mustard, is there really any reason why Luke, Leia and yes, even a non-Force sensitive like Han, should not?

Echo-07 and kainee like this.
  10. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    Great post!

As much as you rever the Skywalker I revere Solo and can't wait -- am really excited -- by the potential to weave their saga into the Skywalker Saga. This is, after all, what famly trees are for. LOL These types of inter-minglings, while pretty commonplace ideas, were most important to most important myth-makers such as Tolkien.

What I want to see is a Solo male and female child, perhaps the twins as has been speculated for months now as well as a Skywalker son. I also suspect this is what we'll see based on the casting breakdown.

One interesting thought occurs to me -- it was reported a while ago that Matt Vaughn suggested Chloe Moretz for the role of Skywalker's daughter. This lead to alot of speculation that Skywalker's offspring could be female. However, could it have been that MV wanted the Skywalker offspring to be female but Lucas & co. had already settled on a male? OR could it be that I'm reading wayyy to much into unconfirmed reports? probably a little of both.

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  11. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Thanks. :)

Absolutely!

I suspect you may be right and I hope so! It's just the thing I'd love to see happen.

If Moretz is cast (big "if," because who knows at this point?), maybe she would play the role of Han and Leia's daughter, rather than Luke's?

12. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    Does the wise old man have to be a Jedi? Maybe Han Solo could fill that role in Episode VII. I suspect that Luke's story would carry over six films, like Anakin's, meaning he would not necessarily fill the role of the wise old man who sets the main character(s) on the their journey. Could that role go to Solo? Does he set his kids or grand kids on a path to find wise Master Skywalker only to sacrifice himself in the process?

We all know that Harrison Ford felt that Solo should have died in RotJ. Could this be a way to kill two birds with one stone?

Just a thought.

13. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    I just don't see Han as being a wise old man, frankly. He's too much of a scoundrel for that.

kainee likes this.
  14. Gobi-1

Dec 22, 2002
    I mean filling the role of the "wise old man" archetype. Besides being a wise old man doesn't mean you still can't be a bit of a scoundrel. Obi-Wan did like hanging out in dive bars.

15. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    This is what I was originally hoping but knowing how movies work I don't see this happening.

16. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    As much as I love Han Solo SW is nothing if noth mythological. Mythology deals in archetypes and Solo's archetype is and never will be the "Wise Sage." Smuggler. Scoundrel. Pirate. Rogue. Gunslinger. Space Cowboy. All of these are shades of the same archetype. Captain. Rebel. Pilot. General. Grizzled war Vet. Are secondary variations of the first. I foresee Han as a Grizzled General or perhaps even Admiral, but definitely NOT wise sage.

17. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm not big on archetypes themselves but I do think that Han's personality would have to change if he became a wise sage. And changing his personality would be a bad idea and a shame. We need old smartass Han who yells at the young Jedi Academy initiates to get off his Millenium Falcon.

18. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    We need more:

[​IMG]

of this in the movie than him being a sage, in other words. Besides, Luke needs something to do, and he's more of the sage anyways.

19. Gobi-1

Dec 22, 2002
    As much as I love Han Solo SW is nothing if noh mythological. Mythology deals in archetypes and Solo's archetype is and never will be the "Wise Sage." Smuggler. Scoundrel. Pirate. Rogue. Gunslinger. Space Cowboy. All of these are shades of the same archetype. Captain. Rebel. Pilot. General. Grizzled war Vet. Are secondary variations of the first. I foresee Han as a Grizzled General or perhaps even Admiral, but definitely NOT wise sage.[/quote]

I'm not suggesting that Han Solo become Yoda or Obi-Wan, far from it, but he will certainly be older, and wiser, then he was in the original trilogy. Solo could serve as a mentor/guide/leader to the younger heroes, especially in matters of war, smuggling, and space navigation.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  20. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    I'm not suggesting that Han Solo become Yoda or Obi-Wan, far from it, but he will certainly be older, and wiser, then he was in the original trilogy. Solo could serve as a mentor/guide/leader to the younger heroes, especially in matters of war, smuggling, and space navigation.[/quote]

I think he could mentor the younger. That's a given with age. But Luke's role is much more Obi-wan.

21. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    Exactly. Han can be a mentor, yes, but not really a sage.

Echo-07 and kainee like this.
  22. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Han has already shown signs of great wisdom that he has shared with others. "It's not wise to upset a wookiee", "Fly casual", "Short help's better than no help", "Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for good blaster at your side", "I DID say so before", "What good's a reward if you ain't around to use it", "Never tell me the odds", "I know", etc. :D

23. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    Fly casual, words to live by :D

24. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    And "Never Tell Me the Odds" as well . . .

At least, unless you're playing the lottery. In which case you need to care about the odds. :p

25. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Han tutoring some new fighter pilot in the Republic Navy or some new Smuggler could be fun.