main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Episode VII and... The Netherworlds?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by HegoDamask, Aug 16, 2013.

1. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I would keep the target audience in mind. As for my personal preference, I shall happily agree to disagree.

2. Lord TW

Lord TW Jedi Master star 2

Dec 25, 2012
    Having read both threads on the Netherworld (this and the OB1 rumor thread), I am convinced this would be a terrible idea.

I don't think SW could do anything with the afterlife that hasn't been done already...except maybe execute it well (like Harry Potter). But it's like time travel...very slippery slope, and difficult to convey convincingly.

Palpatine back? Really?!? That's all they can conjure? Doubtful. It's an awful idea, and it sucked in the EU. I know that is sacrilege to some, but the Zahn novels were not really that good. they were just the only thing we had! He's dead, Jim.

That stupid army in LOTR:ROtK. Ugh. Just a rehash of the trees from TTT.

3. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Uh, Palpatine was dead and gone in Zahn's novels. He even tried to retcon the return of Palpatine in a later book (having Mara say she didn't believe it was him).

4. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001

I've seen it. His similarity to Alec is average at best. It won't work. Ben's part of the story is over anyway. As is Palpatine's.

5. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Space battles and spirits. The idea of the films delving into the Jedi Ghost world makes me anticipate this more.

The Hellhammer likes this.
  6. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    Honestly, this is the slippery slope I fear. Having all these dead characters in play, especially in a Netherworld where they can "duke it out" with ghost sabers or whatnot just really smacks of lameness. I mean the ghosts have to be reigned-in. I like the idea of ghosts inspiring and manipulating the living toward a specific goal -- marshaling forces so to speak -- but where does it end??? How do you kill a ghost??? What then becomes the point if the story about the immortal dead becomes the new Saga. It reminds me of an old joke I heard a comedian (forget who) tell once. When he was a kid he used to play superheroes with his friends. They'd pretend to fight over lakes of lava with ray guns or whatnot. One kid would shoot him but he jump out of the way, over the lava, and get shot again. And he'd say, "Un-unh. You got to shoot me twice." So if the Netherworlds is where the real action is then the first 6 movies are pointless.

7. Theron Solo

Theron Solo Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    Which books do they talk about the netherworlds? I feel stupid. I never really knew about this.

8. MiamiJedi

MiamiJedi Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 26, 2013
    Yeah, I can imagine Disney marketing a series of Force Ghost action figures and Netherworlds playsets....and coloring books...

Death and the afterlife are concepts that most people tend to avoid and pretend don't exist. I love it but it is not marketable.

No way Disney is going to go there.

Who do you think the target audience for these movies are going to be??

We may get two minutes of Force Ghosts but that's it.

If it were really going to go as far out as "Ghost Armies" then they might as well have gotten Tim Burton to direct it.

Echo-07 likes this.
  9. Lord TW

Lord TW Jedi Master star 2

Dec 25, 2012
    The clone, spirit, whatever it was. It was pretty lame. It's been 20 years since I read it, so I don't remember exactly, but it was bad enough that I knew I'd never read it again.

10. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Agreed-Force ghosts mostly likely will be just a plot point to push the main conflicts, just as the original threesome will act as a way to push the new heroes into action.

It'll provide for some philosophical thinking points but not as the source of battles themselves...or so we can hope.

11. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    If we assume that Palpatine is coming back and is the source evil in the ST, then at some point, he will need to be destroyed again. This can only happen in physical form or spiritual form. So which would you rather have? Resurrected Palps or netherworld Palps?

12. MiamiJedi

Jan 26, 2013
    Neither. Palps never died. He survived Episode VI.
    The only resurrection will involve Anakin..;)

Dra--- likes this.
  13. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    A battle in the Netherworld would be an interesting new thing to see and add a new layer to the Saga.
    If they decide to go down that route, I'm quite fine with that.

14. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I think the idea of the netherworld in Star Wars could work...if done right. It would certainly explore another aspect of the Force that was only touched on briefly in the previous films and I would be all for that. I think it would also tie in quite nicely with the Skywalker story as well, since Anakin was so obsessed with cheating death and preventing the ones he loved from dying. It's the classic struggle of life and death spurred on by Palpatine himself.

15. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    Personally, I would love to see a final battle between Anakin and Sidious. ROTJ is a fairly weak confrontation between them. Vader picks him up and drops him. Okay, it's redemptive, it's heroic, but it's also a bit too easy. Hard for Luke, but easy for Anakin.

Love to see a longer final duel between them. If we're in the Netherworld at some point, I just wouldn't make the ghosts look all shiny and translucent. They'd look like regular bodies, so it would look like any other duel.

HanSolo29 and MiamiJedi like this.
  16. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    Who knows what kind of weird tricks they can pull as ghosts. An all Force duel with interesting new powers would also be fun.

17. Jedirush2112

Jedirush2112 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2013
    A Netherworld Sidious that crosses over to the physical world with all the power of the Dark Side in hand! That's what I would like to see.

darklordoftech and Dra--- like this.
  18. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012

I agree with you on his for the most part, but someone posted an interesting idea somewhere in here that I cant seem to shake. The idea was basically that Plagueis would be the main villain, which I fully expect to be the case, and he would be so powerful that the only way to learn to defeat him would require Anakin to locate and confront the spirit of Palpatine in what would be the depths of Star Wars hell, and essentialy manipulate Palpatine into giving away the secrets/weakness of Plageuis.

And what made this thought even more interesting to me was the idea that Palpatine would ultimately "follow" Anakin out of this "hell" and allow him to return as the final villain in a X-XII trilogy, should they go that far.

]-}

Dra--- likes this.
  19. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    Just have to disagree with this. I'm quite fine with Palpatine coming back for an ultra final showdown in ST, but X-XII should be completely about the new generation. In VII-IX they slowly take the lead and come into focus, X-XII should be their story and for their story, they need their own unique villain, with as few connections to the past as possible.

Jedirush2112 likes this.
  20. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    Personally, I really hope that this ST is the final trilogy, and then we can move forward with new stories and new everything.

21. MiamiJedi

Jan 26, 2013
    You will see it. You can bet the farm on it. Anakin, wearing the white Vader armor or something like it will ultimately defeat Palpatine in Episode IX.
    Again, I am using marketing strategies as a guide to determining what the new sequels will entail.
    Darth Vader Lives.....
    Because in popular consciousness Darth Vader has become the most popular Star Wars character, he can no longer be a villain.

I hope El Mariachi reads this thread.

I will support any "scoops" concerning Vader returning no matter how ludicrous

darklordoftech and Dra--- like this.
  22. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012

I think you're talking about one of my ideas. Personally, I'd like to see 12 films in the saga; or more.

In the ST, we could have Plagueis as the hidden menace, pulling the strings of Palpatine and Palp's new apprentice. By the end of this trilogy, Palpatine helps destroy Plagueis, who has been manipulating him, and finds his way back to the physical realm. Then in the FT, Palpatine returns as the main villain, with a Sith army at his disposal. By then the new Jedi Order is ready for the fight.

Immortiss and Jedirush2112 like this.
  23. MiamiJedi

Jan 26, 2013
    As long as Anakin/ Darth Vader serves in a Gandalf type role then cool.

Dra--- likes this.
  24. Jedirush2112

Jedirush2112 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2013
    New Scoop: Jar Jar will return as the new villian in Episode VII. He will be known As Darth Annoyous! Hes so powerful he kills his victims solely by talking them to death.

[face_sick]

-Jedi Joe- and Dra--- like this.
  25. MiamiJedi

Jan 26, 2013
    Holy cow! Let's go create a new thread concerning this!

Dra--- likes this.