main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Dark Empire comic trilogy - opinions

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Hoaxer_Poker, Jul 30, 2013.

1. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Okay I admit the whole Kam joining Luke not showing us that but telling us about it instead of showing was bad. That was jarring. I can get over but I want to see that fleshed out. The beginning of DE was great as well but I want to see the fall of Coruscant.
    Maybe have Stover or Luceno write the Dark Empire trilogy in book form but greatly expanded?

2. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Veitch wrote a short novel called Lightsider that takes place between Dark Empire I and II but it was cancelled in the hand-off from Bantam to Del Rey.

General Immodet likes this.
  3. Darth Ridiculis

Darth Ridiculis Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 15, 2013
    I think this was an attempt on the part of Veitch and Kennedy to structure their stories similar to the way the films were made, like a weekly episodic space serial where we are thrust immediately into the center of the action. Episode III begins in the middle of a space battle after Palpatine has been kidnapped, and we are simply told it has happened off screen. Episode IV opens with a Star Destroyer firing on the blockade runner... why are these important events truncated?? To make the story more interesting, while honoring its heritage. The recent Clone Wars series has done this as well, albeit with a bit of a prologue film reel to set the stage before we're dropped into the action.

Jedi Ben, Gamiel and DigitalMessiah like this.
  4. Quinnocent-Till-Sith

Quinnocent-Till-Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 21, 2004
    I'd actually like more comics and books to start with a couple of crawlesque paragraphs but DE II's - at least from the trilogy collection - has Luke ready to search for Jedi then he just turns up with one by his side. The movies don't have that kind of gap.

5. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I think I know the basic details of what was supposed to happen but it would be nice to see it happen.

6. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    Of all the post-ROTJ EU, the Dark Empire stories are easily my favorites. I like the watercolor art (moreso the ships, robots, and planets than the characters). I have fond memories of the 5-hour drive to Santa Fe, New Mexico I took with my wife many years ago. On the way there we listened to the audio dramatization of Dark Empire, and on the way home we listened to Dark Empire II. My wife is not a Star Wars fan, but she enjoyed these dramatizations. The only thing we really couldn't take was Luke having a silly girlfriend in Dark Empire II.

DigitalMessiah likes this.
  7. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    More comics about Executor Sedriss and Operation Shadow Hand!

Gamiel likes this.