main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Let's get it on!: The Mixed Martial Arts Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by ClarkWayne, Nov 16, 2006.

1. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    He slowed after expending so much energy. He's got to get some cardio, I think he looked out of shape again. Definitely came into the Silva fight looking like crap.

2. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Chael's all business tonight.

3. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Chael P! Very pleased with that result.

Hahaha, this guy is hilarious. Great post-fight, I hate Wanderlei too, so I'll be pulling for Chael.

4. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    And now that business is over, back to the trash talking.

When did Chael get married?

5. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
    That Browne/Overeem fight is all kinds of trash. The ref could very well have called the fight when Overeem landed 20+ unanswered punches while Browne was just covering up, he could have stopped it when the illegal knee hit Browne.....but he waits until Reem is knocked down but still clearly conscious and moving to protect himself?

Not that I am a Overeem fan, I would much rather see Browne win.....but Yamasaki is an idiot.

6. Mikaboshi

Jul 12, 2005
    EDIT function is jacked.....Chael got married about a month ago I believe.

7. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I disagree on Yamasaki, Mikaboshi. Browne turtled up to avoid getting hit, but he responded when Yamasaki told him to move, several times. The first time, Reem caught him with another knee and continued whaling on him, and the second time, he got back into the clinch, I believe, and made his way back up. Would have to watch it again to be sure, but I thought it was a good call, and the sport certainly has enough trash refs who call fights prematurely and/or cannot tell non-responsive fighters from responsive ones. I think Mario, Herb Dean, and Big John are about the only three I would consider good, consistently.

Edit- and Reem got absolutely destroyed by that front kick, and then ate a straight hammer fist. He was not defending himself, if I recall correctly. Again, I don't have access to replays, just memory.

8. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    You wouldn't happen to be on the latest version of Firefox would you?

9. Mikaboshi

Jul 12, 2005
    I am on the latest version of Firefox.

10. Mikaboshi

Jul 12, 2005
    Damn Edit: I watched the last minute of that fight a few times, Reem did get hit hard with that kick but he was not out by any means. The hammer fist landed, still wasn't out and was bringing his hand up to defend the second when the fight was stopped.

Early stoppage in my opinion, especially considering that not long before Yamasaki seemed all too willing to let the fight go on in a similar situation.

11. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    That is a good point. It's hard to see sometimes, I know when Dan knocked out Fedor in Strikeforce, I thought the same thing, even though I was on cloud nine. May sound corny, but these refs can see the eyes of the fighters, and we can't always- I have always been told that it is the eyes that give it away, and one can see if the fighter is alert or good as gone.

Just pleased for Chael, he'd had a rough streak since Bisping, and this was a solid win for him. After Gustaffson and this, I sincerely hope Shogun is considering hanging up the gloves, for his own protection.

Mikaboshi likes this.
  12. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Then it's a known issue with FireFox and the edit button.

And apparently the show did a 1.4 cable rating, which exceeded expectations by some given that it was the first night of the Fox Sports 1 launch.

Mikaboshi likes this.
  13. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  14. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    So glad I avoided being spoiled and caught up on the Chael Shogun fight. Wow. I wouldn't have been surprised to see Chael win but not by sub in round 1.

15. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Don't like that matchup for Hendo, not at all. Belfort's a shadow of his former self, but he's not likely to circle into Dan's bombs. Plus, crazy **** happens in Brazil (see Big Nog's only 2 wins in 3.5 years coming there).

16. JangoMike

JangoMike Jedi Master star 4

Jan 13, 2003
    im rooting for Hendo!!! Always...dudes gym is 10 mins from my house....got to support

17. Kiki-Gonn

Feb 26, 2001
    It's a good match up. I like both guys so I don't know who to root for.

18. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    A couple of other UFC notes courtesy of WrestlingObserver.com/F4wonline.com:

-- Conor McGregor's knee injury at UFC on FS1 ended up being a minor LCL sprain, so he won't need surgery and is hoping to be able to fight on the giant December 28th show in Las Vegas (double main event with Rousey vs. Tate and Silva vs. Weidman II). He'll be getting an MRI just in case.
    -- Stefan Struve is on the shelf indefinitely with a heart issue. He was hospitalized with a leaking aortic valve, which sounds like no fun at all, and an enlarged heart. He issued a statement saying that he hoped to someday recover to the point that he could continue his quest for the UFC heavyweight title.

Hate to say it, but sounds like the best thing for Stuvue is to retire outright. Better to try to preserve your health as much as you can, than suddenly drop dead one day.

19. JangoMike

Jan 13, 2003
    Can't wait to see Josh Barnett SMASH Mir!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

heels1785 likes this.
  20. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I'll take that bet, JangoMike. No way Frank loses that fight. No way. (feel free to quote this after he does)

Is that you with Barnett? Awesome!

JangoMike likes this.
  21. JangoMike

Jan 13, 2003

Don't get me wrong...Frank Mir is a BEAST!!! Barnett though, is a killer.....dude is a monster.....unless Mir can pull off a sub, I don't see him lasting long in this fight....

Either way, its a GREAT FIGHT!!!!

Yes, thats Barnett and I. He's a big metal fan and he was backstage kicking it with my cousin (in a pretty famous metal band) and I was like, dude, Josh Barnett rules....lol.....

Juliet316, Kiki-Gonn and heels1785 like this.
  22. Kiki-Gonn

Feb 26, 2001
    I think Josh is smart enough to win this fight.

Mir has unbelievable subs but bad cardio, wrestling and stand up.

Don't try to prove anything by going to the ground, just sprawl and brawl.

23. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    From WrestlingObserver.com/F4wonline:

--Former UFC heavyweight Cheick Kongo has been signed by Bellator and will be debuting next month in the company's fall heavyweight tournament.

--Chael Sonnen will be on FS 2's UFC preview show and likely answer the Wanderlei Silva video from last week.

--MMAJunkie.com reported that the 9/4 UFC show from Brazil has been extended from three hours to five hours on FS 1. Originally FS 1 was carrying it from 7-10 p.m., but the show will now start on the station at 5 p.m. Long day as it's followed by two more hours of UFC with the debut of the Rousey-Tate TUF season from 10 p.m. to midnight. The 5-7 p.m. portion was originally earmarked for FS 2.

24. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    From WrestlingObserver.com/F4wonline.com:

--Dana White has hinted of a Phil Davis vs. Chael Sonnen fight on the 11/16 show in Las Vegas as the semi underneath GSP vs. Johny Hendricks. Wanderlei Silva is out until early 2014 due to a back injury. That makes it strange why he cut that promo.

--The 10/26 show from Manchester, England headlined by Michael Bisping vs. Mark Munoz, originally scheduled for FS 2, has been moved to FS 1. Due to UFC drawing so well on FS 1 and everything else on the station not doing well, they've opted for more UFC programming than originally planned. They added an hour to the live show yesterday without even advertising. This coming week was originally to be a three hour live show and two hours of Ultimate Fighter, but the live show has been changed to five hours with a minimum of 10 fights, plus 16 more fights on Ultimate Fighter. That'll be something to see how much people can remember from 26 TV fights in a row.

--Gilbert Melendez will be working with ESPN this weekend as their expert on UFC in ESPN's coverage of the weekend PPV show. That tells you ESPN is planning on a decent amount of coverage of the show.

25. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Chael better not get near Phil Davis. Phil Davis is a better wrestler and a LOT bigger, essentially Jones without the striking.

JangoMike likes this.