main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Comic Book Character Draft ReduX [Ed: That's #10 for those keeping score]

Discussion in 'Community' started by EmpireForever, Mar 3, 2013.

1. MandaloreYak

MandaloreYak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 29, 2004
    Jerkwad.

You should be thanking me for being in Peru during the Magneto fight.

2. Hokage_Kalar

Hokage_Kalar Jedi Master star 4

May 13, 2009
    Even if you would have won that, do you think you would have won in teams? Besides, as much as you say we're underrating Magneto, you're underrating Genis. Magneto can syphoon power from several places... cool... but this would be a long drag out battle that might even destroy a planet or two in the process. Magneto couldn't survive in space and continue fighting Genis at peak. The point is, no matter what Magneto could do, Genis can do it too, and is just as durable. In fact, more durable, because without his shield he's taking punches from Sentry and Thor, whereas Magneto couldn't. More durable, more power sources, more powers... why are you complaining?

Genis(p) v Ultron(p) - the one time prep doesn't help Ultron at all. There is 0 tech here... just raw power. Prep doesn't really help Genis that much either, but at least getting 24 hours to search various possibilities of outcomes I feel should skew this in Genis's favor. Just my opinion.

3. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    Eh, it's not worth making people mad talking about it again. At least not here.

Although, DarthIntegral, it's not so much that it's my loss that makes me complain. I think I have a nice, rich history of complaining about injustices having nothing to do with people on my team (Plastic Man, Holocaust, Blink, Stryfe etc.). I just am limiting myself to mine. But I have overlooked TONS of stuff this draft that I just didn't have the time or didn't feel like arguing about.

4. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Even calling it an injustice demonstrates the issue I have with the constant complaining. Think about it. This is about how different people interpret fictional matches between fictional characters who have been written very inconsistently. And, so, to rail on about how something should have never happened, or is an injustice, or is a slight is just silly. It is. Comic Book characters are the most inconsistently written of any fictional being. Even, sometimes, within the same issue. So to say so-and-so could never beat so-and-so ... well, that's not how comic books work. It's just not. It's why you can find conflicting evidence for the same character to support arguments.

So, I really just don't get going on and on and on about being robbed.

Maybe that's how you get your fun out of the game. If so, good on you for having fun. But, once the debate is done and the judges decide, move on. Move the **** on. It's not an injustice. It's not a travesty. It's not anything but a decision in an internet based game.

From How I read things, some of my characters were woefully under-appreciated in this draft. But, from how others looked at it, I was over-appreciating them. And that's good. Drafts become unbearably boring when there is a strict order of who beats who and how you have to read things.

Mikaboshi likes this.
  5. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    I was gonna respond but then you'd probably not like that either. Still don't see what's wrong with talking about it after for accuracy's sake. I've done it before and no one complained till now. And I wasn't gonna complain except Kalar poked me with that Dr. Strange comment.

Edit: Talking w Kalar on the phone. He's making some arguments that seem pretty solid. I'm just saying I don't know what's wrong with talking about it. We weren't being rude or anything.

6. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Yak is harmless. If he were berating me and whitey and flaming us, then I'd have an issue with it. But he loves the draft and loves the debate.

I agree that chronic complaining sucks, but I give Yak a pass, because he means well and wouldn't harm a fly. But he would harm Superman.

7. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    I wouldn't harm Superman. Unless I could do it from long range. I don't want to be in his presence long enough to harm him up close.

Maybe next time I'll just go the phone call/inbox route. I didn't think anyone would mind and now having gone over info I feel less bad about the call.

Talking about Strange a few matches back, that I could see people being upset with. I felt genuine remorse for that.

8. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Don't call me unless you're offering biscuits.

9. Hokage_Kalar

May 13, 2009

I EXTREMELY disagree with this. Well most of it. Calling things an injustice and flaming is annoying. Arguing and debating is what makes this draft great for me. Even if it is after the judgment, why, because I want my argument heard. Yak and I just argued an hour on the Magneto fight. And while he and I both made valid points, it was a lot faster than typing all that out in the forums. Since I can't call up all you on a group chat and talk this out, I have to rant for pages. I love it when Mika and Minch do the same (well when Minch makes relevant arguments at least, and Mika is factual...). If you don't like it, don't read it. Don't ruin my fun. Honestly, I don't even see how continuing to argue "ruins your draft experience." I'm calling BS on that. Now I agree with Heels, flaming refs isn't a good thing, and I apologize for that. But I don't apologize for continuing to argue and saying bad calls were bad calls, when they were bad calls. No apologizes, and I wish more people did it. I wish judges would overturn bad calls too. I wish EF would give his opinion more (serious, for realsy, Yak also seconds this "the ef part explicitly"). That would make the draft better for me.

10. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    Sorry, I was super busy for most of this thing. Would have liked to have been more involved but I couldn't manage it.

Also, this guy right here calling out Mika on his facts...

11. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003

You never flamed me, nor did I ever see you flame another judge- so no need for apologies.

12. Hokage_Kalar

May 13, 2009
    :)

So I'm the pot.

13. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
    I agree with Inty, you guys are making this stuff seem like it is all black and white and the results of matches should be easy calls.
    Not only that but just like in the stories, different judges (or authors) can sometimes mean different results. It is what it is, the match is over, sure debating is fun but at this point it really is starting to sound like whining.

No offense, it just sounds that way.

Anyway, since this is all fresh in our heads should we talk about anything for next time around? People to remove from the list, people to add, rules to change, etc...?

14. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Say no to Onslaught.

15. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    congrats kalar.

i don't really have much to say honestly. i doubt i'll be involved in the next one of these, there's just way, way too much stuff i don't know for this to really even be that much fun on my end. sadly.

16. Hokage_Kalar

May 13, 2009
  17. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    Go back to the list from the last draft and edit based off that one.
    And then we should have some rules from either that one or the last Animated involving more detail on pre-match stuff, where they start, prep, etc.
    As for match "black-and-whiteness" I mean yeah, they vary in difficulty. We just like a thorough review. Some calls can be really hard. But some can also be abysmally wrong. Like, Enchantress vs Despero wrong.

Although I'm starting to think maybe Captain Atom could beat (then) Spawn. I will definitely confess to underrating him, assuming he was that good then.

18. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
    Captain Atom could beat the Spawn that was in that draft, we limited Spawn severely in that draft from what I remember.

At least there was no Batman/Despero calls this time around. [face_blush]

19. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    Aaargh. Hopefully that caliber of call is long gone.

20. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    Basically anyone that was drafted should be cut.

21. Hokage_Kalar

May 13, 2009
    I still think the most egregious call of the draft was the first one against Strange. The same guy that trivially blows back Thanos and Hulk, shouldn't have lost to WW MM

I would love to do a remainder draft, we tried that once but people didn't get into it because not the top tier of people joined. Just exclude Anti-Monitor, and a scrub draft would be fun.

22. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    And here is the lesson of the draft:

STEP ONE

You put your prep in a box.

STEP TWO

You put Dr. Strange in THAT box.

STEP THREE

Your opponent opens that box.

Mikaboshi and heels1785 like this.
  23. Hokage_Kalar

May 13, 2009
    EF, and EF only, could any team have beaten Yak's in a team battle?

24. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    For the record, I honestly think debate=good. I really enjoy a good debate in the draft.

However ...

Stating "my opinion of a character/source material is absolute and is the way everyone should view it" is not debating.

Also, for the record, I'd be 100% down with removing everyone who was drafted and using that as the base for next draft.

25. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    Off of my head I think I'd vote the inferno over every team. Mostly because your team doesn't amp as well.