main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Is Spar still the Mando leader?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Fashod, Aug 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fashod

Fashod Jedi Youngling

Aug 13, 2013
    Should he be in Rebels if they ever show more Mandalorians in that series? I mean i like Bo and everything but i am just a Spar guy.

2. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Nah. I prefer Bo by far.

The Shadow Emperor likes this.
  3. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Well, as of the end of the Clone Wars, I don't see why not. Presuming that the Mandalorian loyalist faction under Bo-Katan regains control of Mandalore from Maul's faction, I can see Spar eventually stepping in to take over a la the EU. Thus, the establishment of the Mandalorian Protectors, who can actually assist Bo-Katan's (likely outnumbered) faction in retaking Sundari. Note that the Mandalorian Protectors consisted partially of former members of the Death Watch (perhaps Bo-Katan's faction is assimilated). In fact I am sure Mia Mesharad can explain this even better than I can.

But in all actuality, during the time of Rebels, the Mand'alor should neither be Spar nor Bo-Katan. It should be Fenn Shysa! I'd love if he would show up in the new series, with Bo-Katan as a high-ranking officer in his entourage.

Edit: Also, if they only revisit Mandalore sparingly, I see no reason why they would retcon Shysa's fate, or retcon Spar's story following the Norval II mission after which he stepped down as Mand'alor.

Mzukiller likes this.
  4. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    Filoni at one point addressed Spar's absence from TCW and implied that Spar did not jive with the Lucas/Filoni vision of the clones and Mandalorian culture. Since Filoni is in charge of Rebels now, I assume that still stands. He may or may not do something to contradict Spar's existence, but regardless I doubt we'll see Spar at all among the Mandalorians, if the Mandalorians appear at all in Rebels.

5. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Spar is basically a cross between Cut Lawquane and Slick in some respects- he's a deserter, who sees the clone army as slaves.

So I can't see why he "doesn't jive" with TCW.

6. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    I don't have the source in front of me, but I think Filoni said that the route they were going with TCW was that none of the clones had every really met Jango and had no idea about Mandalorian culture or felt any kind of fellowship with Mandalorians, and so they disagreed with the idea of a clone turning Mandalorian. While in the EU my understanding is (though I've not read it first hand) that Jango was active in training the early batches of clones and that Mandalorian culture permeated the clone ranks to an extent.

7. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    It's certainly the case in even very recent EU works, like The Essential Guide to Warfare.

8. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    -Source

Are to see a revolution on Mandalore. The Essential Atlas mentioned AWOL ARC trooper Alpha-02 “Spar” being the one who returns the Mandalorians to their warrior ways. Are we going to see this event AND more importantly Satine’s faction fate? — Pavel Klimes

What you saw in Season 4 with the Death Watch was just a small taste of what is to come. I think the Madalorians are involved in one of the best story arcs next season. A great deal is at stake and big things happen. As far as Spar, the clones and the Mandalorians go, you have to understand that in the film saga, and the TV series, clones don’t really identify with Mandalorians. The vast majority of clones never met Jango Fett, and the series has focused more on the clones having their own culture, rather than adopting a culture that they never really came in contact with. Satine will be returning and I promise you she will have bigger problems than tainted Moogan Tea this time.​

Whether his logic is sound or not, I have no idea as I do not know anything about Spar. But regardless, that sounded like a "no" as far as ever seeing Spar in TCW, which I think will hold true in Rebels as well.

There is the possibility that Disney/Kennedy will reign Filoni in and tell him to work more closely with the rest of the EU and not given him the same freedom that he had in TCW that Lucas had to overwrite continuity on a whim. If that's the case, they perhaps he'll include more C-canon characters. But that has yet to be seen.

9. CommanderColt

CommanderColt Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 2, 2013
    Do you really think there is a possibility that Disney is going to force Lucasfilm to adhere to EU canon? I don't think there has ever been any indication, or even speculation, in the history of Lucasfilm that the cartoons (or films) adhere to EU canon.

As far as Mandalore and Rebels, I would say there is a good chance that Mandalore appears in the show. People love Mandalorian armor, though i guess Boba Fett can fill the bill himself by the time Rebels takes place. Either way Mandalore makes its way into Rebels for the same reason it made its way into TCW. People love Boba Fett. To answer the OP, chances are that if Mandalore appears in the cartoon it will finish the job TCW began and wipe the Mandalorian EU canon away.

10. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    Historically LucasFilm was run by Lucas who had a heavy hand in TCW. So Filoni - with Lucas' blessing - could just disregard established continuity on a whim. He got to play the Lucas trump card. Lucas is no longer in the picture, I don't think Kennedy is going to have a heavy hand in dictating stories, and I don't know that Filoni will have any kind of privilege to trump continuity when he feels like it.

So, yes. I think there's a possibility that Filoni will be required to work with the rest of the EU and make things fit as best as possible. I don't know that for a fact, but I think it is a distinct possibility. We don't know about the films. There were rumors that Ben Skywalker and Jaina and Jacen Solo would feature in the sequel trilogy. The local radio station was even mentioning the rumors of Ben Skywalker being in Episode VII.

Could be fake. But if real, that could mean that Disney is trying to make a more cohesive Star Wars universe.

Filoni only got to trump the rest of EU - often at Lucas' own request - because that's what Lucas wanted. Filoni isn't working with Lucas anymore.

11. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    Note that Filoni's statements are technically true and noncontradictory to the Spar Story, the majority of the clones did 'not' meet Jango, so not all would be influenced by him. He did not say that none of them did or none of them would be influenced by them, clear difference.

Having said that, I don't think we'll see Spar either. I do, however, feel the Mandalorian Civil War spawned by Maul nicely paves a path for the EU's story, Spar's rise, and the protectors in the final year of the war, just as was originally intended.

I also feel that whether or not we'll see Fenn is a more legitimate question, though I wouldn't count on it. We're likely going to end up with a scenario where he never is seen, but never outright canonized either. He's just doing his thing "on the other side of the planet" again. While seeing a formal acknowledgment of his storyline would be nice, I'm okay with this.

Also, I still accept Vode An as part of the Clone's flash training, and I doubt Filoni entirely rejects this concept either, as they so often refer to one another as "brothers" a very clear Mandalorian concept.

Circular Logic likes this.
  12. CommanderColt

CommanderColt Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 2, 2013
    I haven't heard a single rumor that Episode VII was going to adhere to EU. While they are tight lipped about the cast it seems pretty much everyone who has any opinion about it thinks that the EU is getting dumped in Episode VII. I don't have anything against the EU but, lets face it, only super Star Wars geeks know all of it. Even Lucas himself never read most of the EU. Pretty sure Weisman had stated that he hadn't even watched TCW and was catching up on them after Rebels was announced. I doubt either Weisman or Kinberg (or JJ Abrams) know much about the EU or have any intention of adhering to it.

The Shadow Emperor likes this.
  13. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I think yes, Spar is still in charge. How? It'll take a while.

Satine's Mandalorians have their base in the nuclear-blasted desert, a city called Sundari. We all know this. Easy. So, the Mandalorians–the ones with no titles in front of their culture's name–live in Keldabe, in the forested regions of Mandalore. So, in Season 5 of TCW, Bo-Katan's forces are fighting over Sundari with the remnants of Maul's Death Watch. Spar, meanwhile, is in charge of the Keldabe Mandalorians. So, when Spar starts the Mandalorian Protectors, he includes ex-True Mandalorians and ex-Death Watch. How does he accomplish this? He goes to Bo-Katan and makes her a deal: she joins up with him, and he brings his men in and wins Sundari for them. Any of Bo-Katan's men that want to be a Protector go with Spar when he returns to Keldabe, while Bo remains at Sundari, as the new Duchess.

Simple. See?

Mzukiller and Circular Logic like this.
  14. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/11/rumor-claims-jaina-and-jacen-solo-in-star-wars-episode-vii

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...lkers-son-upcoming-Star-Wars-Episode-VII.html (The Gosling rumor was the one that was mentioned on my local radio station and mentioned that he was being considered for the role of "Ben Skywalker," though the above link doesn't mention the name of Luke's son that Gosling would allegedly play).

15. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013
    Best that they not touch it. There's an illusion of cohesion there, as Revanfan explained. Realize that if they did retell EU stories (and I'll nip this in the bud: Slaves of the Republic was written for the show and discarded before being made into a comic), they would change things. That's just how it turns out, having to write stuff in a group setting the way TV shows do, and having a million different people in charge of different parts of the story and performance down the line. You don't have to see somebody from the EU to believe they exist; in fact, I'd say if you see somebody from the EU, that character no longer exists in the form you came to love. Just sayin'... Quin Vos.

I like the idea that the Republic Commandos specifically had heavy Mando influence, but not the regular clones or ARCs.

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  16. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    Wasn't Spar killed by Boba Fett's daughter?
    I do not know, but I do not think Spar would be the leader of the Mandies at this point in time.

17. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011

Yes, but not for years and years after the Clone Wars, when she's a full grown adult and hunting down her father. At this point, the time between the ending of the Clone Wars and the start of Rebels, we've about reached the point that Spar should be found, and introduced as Mandalore the Resurrector, rebuilding the supercommando army and such along with Shysha. It'd be a good way to transition from the New Mandalorians to the Mandalorian Protectors, but I have to say i'd rather not see it happen. The story's perfect the way it is so far. Whatever they ended up doing in Rebels would inevitably contradict it in some way. Better to just keep the two separate. Keep the New Mandalorians on the other side of the planet doing their own thing. Heck have them go through their own issues and an identity crisis that requires them to oust Maul and return to their warrior roots, but have them do it on their own.

18. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    I was gonna say! I'd love to see Bo's faction assimilated into Shysa's story, as I'd really not like to see Fenn retconned.

As to an actual appearance for Shysa? Well, a part of me would love to see it happen, but I think PraenomenCognomen makes a good point about being careful what one wishes for, so he does.

19. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Yes, he was, but not for years. Post-ROTJ, IIRC.

General Immodet likes this.
  20. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003

I know they are just rumors.

I said that it was possible that Disney might make Filoni and the rest of the EU work harder to make a more cohesive universe, then it was mentioned that there is no way that this will happen with the movies. I was pointing out that there are rumors that imply that the future movies may actually make a greater effort to mesh with the EU as well, rather than acting in spite of the EU as Lucas did.

My point was that Filoni implied that we would never see Spar because the Lucas/Filoni view of the Clone culture differed from that of the EU. Filoni had a free pass to ignore the EU because he worked closely with Lucas. With Lucas gone, he may still be able to do his own thing, or Disney might make him mesh things more tightly with the rest of the EU, in which case we could potentially see Spar or at least a transition in Mandalorian society more towards the one that the EU had established.

21. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    But what should they call each outer instead? All of them are after all clone brothers

22. Mzukiller

Mzukiller Jedi Padawan star 2

Sep 5, 2012
    I'm very afraid of Spar actually being retconned out of existence, since I just hate seeing TCW just have full command over everything. Hell, one word from those higher ups and the events of Bounty Hunter are replaced with "Jango won a raffle"

But more on topic, I personally think that a clone deserter coming across Mandalore in chaos and suddenly taming it and taking over is a pretty big stretch without setting him up before hand. Now that I think about it, do you think the title 'Mandalore' even matters by the time of the Clone Wars? Not like those guys have been a big deal for thousands of years.

23. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Part of The Last Jedi is set on Mandalore in the aftermath of the- don't think it mentions Spar though. Maybe he comes in later?
    In Marvel Star Wars- by the time of the OT movies, the Empire has pretty much taken Mandalore over, with only a few Mando rebels, like Fenn Shysa and Tobi Dala.

24. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    I've always thought Spar deserved a more recent novel or comic.

25. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    No, he doesn't. I though The Last Jedi was a wonderful book but the Mandalore scenes were confusing–because despite being inside a Mandalorian cantina in the Mandalorian capitol on Mandalore, there are zero Mandalorians actually in the book! But hey–Prince Xizor is cool and it totally makes sense for him to be on Mandalore so let's include him instead! (Although with Season 5 of TCW including Black Sun in Maul's Mandalore plot, Xizor being there kinda-sorta does make sense. But not really.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.