main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC The shooting of Christopher Lane

Discussion in 'Community' started by Eeth-my-Koth, Aug 21, 2013.

1. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
  2. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    When did Juliet hack Vin's account?

As for the shooting, I've even seen it reported here in Austria and Germany. Pretty sickening story.

3. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    1. One of them appears to be white. I don't know if he considers himself to be white, though.

2. Unlike Zimmerman v. Trayvon, this seems to be sociopaths killing a random dude rather than an obvious case of racial profiling/hate crime.

3. Black kids killing white men and getting away with it isn't exactly a systemic problem in the United States.

4. It is pretty big news worldwide because the victim was Australian. An anti-gun (i.e., FASCIST COMMIE) Australian politician even commented on it and advised his countrymen to be careful when visiting the U.S.

Rogue_Ten and Lord Vivec like this.
  4. Eeth-my-Koth

May 25, 2001
    1. That dude is half white just like our "black" president

2. I'm not sold 100% this is correct

3. Eh

5. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Zimmerman/Martin is an obvious case of a hate crime? Give Eric Holder a call, I hear he's desperately looking for evidence so he can charge Zimmerman.

6. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Is there evidence that could convict Zimmerman in a court? Probably not. But he stalked Trayvon Martin and caused his death because he was a black male. It's not exactly difficult or farfetched to infer that.

7. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    This kind of thing bothers me tremendously. You don't want to think that these kinds of random killings "for fun" really happen, but I suppose they do.

Adding to my personal disgust is the fact that this shooting happened less than three and a half hours away from where I live.

8. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    It's getting plenty of coverage in Australia. And here.

9. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Actually Vin, it has been getting attention here in the states. I saw both local and national news reports yesterday.

What does this say about our society, when a bunch of teens decide the best way to alieviate their 'boredom' is to kill somebody at random.

10. Eeth-my-Koth

May 25, 2001
    It says they are appeasing your post count. :p

11. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    I'm not trying to apologize for these kids, but Oklahoma is really, really boring.

12. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    It'll get plenty of coverage here... murder, uncomfortable racial angle, etc.

You can bet an OK jury is not going to be particularly lenient here. These kids just signed their lives away.

13. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    His skin color is significantly whiter than the president's. It is no contest.

14. Eeth-my-Koth

May 25, 2001
    Racist!

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  15. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    It is a measurable fact.

16. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Haven't seen anything on the BBC news about it here in the UK. They're more concerned with Syria, Egypt, and local politics.

17. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I didn't even see anything about race in the article I read yesterday. This is a big story because of the apparent lack of motive beyond boredom. They're probably not even sociopaths or psychopaths or whatever.

18. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    what's funny is im used to these kind of stories (kids killing adults or other kids for fun) coming out of australia and to a lesser extent britain

19. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I thought this thread title said "The Shooting of Christopher Lee". :(

20. Eeth-my-Koth

May 25, 2001
    I made the damn thread and that is all I see each time I come back.

Obi-Zahn Kenobi likes this.
  21. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    Those three kids are obliviously sick and need help. Hopefully a jury will see that and give them the mental health they need so they can one day return to society.

22. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Or they're just idiots.

23. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Do you have some suggestion to the contrary? Is there a reason not to accept the killers' freely offered explanation? Is there some piece of evidence being overlooked? Or have you merely inferred that because the victim was white, it must have been a racially motivated crime, and that the media's failure to make this angle the centerpiece of their coverage in the absence of any supportive facts sure evidence of a vast conspiracy to oppress white males?

This is not at all like the Martin case. There, a man claimed a conveniently stereotypical rationale for pursuing someone who in fact displayed no signs of behavior we might call suspicious or unreasonable. Behavior which, in retrospect, and with the benefit of fuller understanding, even the killer himself has conceded wasn't at all inappropriate.

Rogue_Ten and Darth Guy like this.
  24. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    They flat out admitted they did it because they were bored.

25. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Oh look, Americans with guns shooting things. Guns aren't the problem though - the teens could have used throwing knives to the same effect. More guns are needed! If this Australian was jogging with an AR-15 and kevlar vest he could have protected himself! [face_flag]