main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Which clone armor do you prefer? Phase I or Phase II?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by thebeanpole, Aug 17, 2013.

?

Which Clone armor do you prefer?

Poll closed Aug 27, 2013.
  1. Phase I (Episode II)

7 vote(s)
    29.2%
  2. Phase II (Episode III)

17 vote(s)
    70.8%
  1. thebeanpole

thebeanpole Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 11, 2013
    I usually prefer phase II, but I think it has something to do with the fact that episode III introduced so many unique and interesting specialized clone units. The episode II clones (except for a few pilots and such) were just a little too bland and boring. However, I do have a certain fondness for the phase I helmet and its very distinctive crested design. Phase II get's my vote though, just because it has a certain menacing pre-stormtrooper appearance to it.

Thoughts?

TOPGUNxICEMAN likes this.
  2. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    I'll go with Phase II, because it has way more variety and modifications than the Phase I. We see troopers using different sets of gear for different purpose, like you mentioned. The fact that there is so much variety in it tells the story of a war that has been raging for quite a while, with each trooper adding or removing something from his armor, as suited his purpose.

3. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Phase II is awesome while Phase 1 is meh

4. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Phase II

5. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Phase two is outstanding, especially like the scout trooper armor (Kashyyyk).

Rebelscum8007 and Cynicalx like this.
  6. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
  7. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    While I do love the look of the phase I armor, I'll go with phase II. It's Star Wars on so many levels!

- Let the wookiee win.
    - All these wookiees are dead.

/LM

8. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I love phase I for it's retro "Mars invasion" sense of pure style.

9. WatTamborWoo

WatTamborWoo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 22, 2011
    I go for Phase I aswell. It was the first time we saw what the Clone Troopers look like and I have nostalgia for their arrival on the field of battle when all the gunships arrived. A great scene. I perfectly understand everyone's like for Phase II, however, because of the variety and how the rendering was taken up a notch.

[​IMG]

Revanfan1 and Cynicalx like this.
  10. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    I chose Phase I, there were cool variations of the Phase II armor but it didn't become truly cool until the Empire and the awesome Stormtroopers! I always thought the standard Phase II armor was kinda overrated, for some reason I never cared too much for it unless we are talking about all the other variations that existed outside the standard armor.

11. Shadow Trooper

Shadow Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jul 18, 2013
    The greater variety of cool armor types like the Galactic marines and Kashykk scouts made me prefer phase 2. I still think phase 1 looks cool though, especially the ARC trooper armor.

12. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I like Phase I just a little better, because Phase II looks just a bit more sinister, a bit more "these guys will be bad soon." Phase I was dissimilar enough to stormtroopers that you could see them as good guys. When they widened the eyes and lost the head fin for Phase II, there was very little left separating them from the stormtroopers.

WatTamborWoo and thebeanpole like this.
  13. thebeanpole

thebeanpole Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 11, 2013

Yeah, this is pretty much the way I see it too. While Phase II gets my vote because of all the awesome variations, I think I prefer phase I as far as the base model clones go.

14. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    I didn't like the helmets and visors with Phase I armor...

I thought they were made dissimilar, only for cosmetic reasons. Maybe if one the clones bumped his head on account of the shark fin while jumping out of a gunship on Geonosis, I could see why they got rid of them. Heck, why was it on there in the first place? I would have liked something different, like starting off with colored-armor, close to Jango's paint-scheme... subtly becoming more white as the story moved closer to Order 66. Or something.

15. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Your italics...they're in weird places.

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  16. Rebelscum8007

Rebelscum8007 Jedi Youngling

Aug 21, 2013
    While I do love the sleek look of Phase I, I have to go with the look of Phase II if for no other reason than for nostalgia. This is the look I grew up with and the look that will always be synonymous with storm troopers

Samsung Galaxy S 3

17. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    Phase I retro stylings.

18. Stormtrooper Dave

Stormtrooper Dave Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 23, 2013
    The clones introduced in Episode II had a very generic look to them. What we see in Episode III is the further modification of the armor, and the helmets present a sort of menacing, dominant appearance, especially after Order 66 is initiated. It also has the resemblance of the stormtrooper helmets from Episodes IV, V, and VI.

What I always liked about the Imperial troops in the original trilogy was their helmets---that look about them that said to the audience, "We're bad guys". So for me, the Phase II look is my favorite.

19. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I like both phases, but I prefer Phase II for many of the reasons noted above. I especially like how Phase II reflect a more menacing appearance that fits with Order 66, and also how they represent an evolutionary design step between Phase I and Stormtroopers.

20. Jeff McKissock

Jeff McKissock Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 11, 2012
    I like the phase two like other said it shows them evolving into Stormtroopers

21. MekaGojira3k

MekaGojira3k Jedi Knight

Aug 25, 2013
    Phase I all of the way. I love how the blend of Stormtrooper and Mandalorian helmets.

Mzukiller likes this.
  22. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
  23. Mzukiller

Mzukiller Jedi Padawan star 2

Sep 5, 2012
    In my opinion, while Phase 2 does look better it's too much like Stormtrooper armor. I prefer the original look for Clones. Plus, it gives me fond memories of Battlefront.

thebeanpole likes this.
  24. jacktherack

jacktherack Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2008
    Phase l clones especially the higher ranked one's that have different colors.

25. Kenobi098

Kenobi098 Jedi Knight star 1

May 8, 2013
    I like Phase II. One of the coolest things on the documentaries with the DVD is the discussion George has with the design team and how he states that he wants the troopers to have a almost Vietnam War feel with them personalizing there armor and helmets. One of the artists went to close to Full metal Jacket with stuff written on the helmets and such and George told them to tone it down a little. Having each unit of the clone troops using a distinctive color pattern works really well as it makes the units identifiable like dark blue markings on the 501st and the Red uniform of the Shock troopers and of course I really enjoyed that we got to see something practical with the unit on Kashyyk and some of the troopers in the Clone Wars cartoon actually wearing Camo armor.

thebeanpole likes this.