main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Episodic endings in a 9 part saga

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by StoneRiver, Aug 21, 2013.

?

The mood of the ending of EPVII will be.....

1. Happy

44 vote(s)
    45.4%
  2. Sad

4 vote(s)
    4.1%
  3. Foreboding

49 vote(s)
    50.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    (already posted in JJ thread - now looking to generate it's own separate conversation)

Back in '77 SW was released and it has a happy ending.
    '80 we have the bad ending.
    '83 back to happy ending.

then in 1999 we got a happy ending.
    2002 brought what I call the foreboding ending. Basically the good guys win, but the Clone Wars start and we the audience know what the masses of clones signify (the start of the Empire).
    2005 was the downer ending with the antagonists winning all round.

But in EP order we have happy, foreboding, bad, happy, bad, happy.

What sort of ending will JJ's film have?

My own thoughts are this film will have a foreboding ending as it will fit with the overall arc of the saga. Something like this;
    happy, foreboding, bad, happy, bad, happy, foreboding (Followed I think by another bad ending, with a massive happy ending in the final part)

Usually the first film in the trilogy will have a happy ending, but in the context of 9 parts I think the EPVII story and JJ's direction will buck this trend.
    Any thoughts?

EDIT: I accidentally posted the thread before I'd finished the poll, "other" should be up there too

2. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    I'm going with foreboding, because they have to set up a larger conflict that will (probably) follow in the next two episodes.

3. StoneRiver

Oct 6, 2004

agreed. we can't look at this film as part one of the trilogy (even though it is) and must look at it as part 7 out of a 9 part story.

Jobertus, Immortiss and kainee like this.
  4. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013
    I remember reading if Lucas knew he was going to make sequels with the original SW, he would had Luke, Leia and Han only escape from the Death Star, and that would lead right into the sequel, while having the attack on the Death Star in the 3rd movie. So essentially, the OT would have been foreboding, sad, and happy too.

5. Jedirush2112

Jedirush2112 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2013
    I think it will end similar to Episode IV. With, after a great conflict, the Jedi on top and victorius. Episode VIII will end up more foreboding as the Dark Side starts its charge towards domination.

6. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I like the idea of a foreboding ending. After years of peace another war looms on the horizon and the Sith may have returned even stronger than before.

StoneRiver and Bullhead CIty like this.
  7. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013
    Or maybe Lucas will throw us a curveball, where Episode 7 & 8 end with happy endings, and then a new Sith villian rules at the end of Episode 9 and all our heroes die! :p

8. Darth Archimage

Darth Archimage Jedi Master star 3

May 28, 2013
    I'm going to have to go with a sad ending for Episode VII. I think having the protagonist(s) struggle through the first two movies in the ST could set up a spectacular finally of the saga.
    I also like the pattern it sets up (not that it really matters).
    E-I. Happy
    E-II. Forboding
    E-III. Sad

E-IV. Happy
    E-V. Sad
    E-VI. Happy

E-VII. Sad
    E-VIII. Forboding
    E-IX. Happy

9. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    Firstly, it should be noted that Episode IV ended on a happy note because GL was unsure if he'd ever direct another SW movie.

Secondly, I think he ended E1 on a rather happy note in order to rhyme with EIV.

However, I think everyone needs to look at SW differently now that Disney owns it. IMO and I wholeheartedly believe that Disney intends SW to be a "TV show" now -- a 200 million dollar per episode big screen TV show that will run indefinitely. In which case I believe each episode will end with cliffhangers, plot twists, and mucho **** hitting the fan that sets up each subsequent episode in perpituity. After all, this is exactly how GL structured it.

10. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    My version:
    Episode VII: foreboding
    Episode 8: Sad
    episode 9: Happy

Or...The George RR Martin Version:
    Episode VII: All the OT and returning characters die so Sad ending
    Episode 8: All the new cast die so sad ending
    Episode 9: Villains win and nobody is happy but the villains so happy ending?

StoneRiver, TX-20 and Force Smuggler like this.
  11. Momotaros

Momotaros Jedi Master star 4

Aug 13, 2013
    I voted foreboding,but it wouldn't shock me if Episode VII is sad though. Maybe with the death of one of the big 3.

12. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Given that JJ is at the helm and that there seems a desire to reflect the tone/mood of the OT, I'd imagine that Ep VII will be up-beat and end on an up-beat note... even if there is a sense of 'and on next weeks instalment' type cliffhanger.

13. The_Coon

The_Coon Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 11, 2013
    i voted happy but at the time i had mis read it and thought we were talking about the trilogy as a whole i belive episode vii will have a foreboding ending

14. Maharishineo

Maharishineo Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 25, 2013
    Arnt is only writing Episode VII, right? And they have others doing most of the last two parts? I feel as though for his part, he would wrap up a complete story (like Episode IV) while also setting up the next movies... like Episode I. They have a major achievement (defeating Maul and the Seperatists or Vader and the Dearth Star) but there's still more to do (like when we knew about Sidious in Episode I rather than when we didn't in A New Hope).

15. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Ugh, that's why I really dislike George RR Martin. Well... that's one of the reasons.

Anyway, I like the idea of foreboding (7), sad (8), happy (9).
    I wouldn't mind Ep9 to have a bittersweet ending though. Sort of the way the very last few shots of RotS were bittersweet.

16. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    It's not certain yet but Arndt did write or help to write a 40-50 page treatment for the entire trilogy. This strongly indicates to me that he'll be the main writer for all three. However, anything planned at this point could change if Episode VII sucks (which I don't think will be the case.) Kasdan and Kinberg are consulting on the scripts and are also writing spin-offs. Hope that helps. :)

eht13 and LunarMoth like this.
  17. GoJohnnyGo

GoJohnnyGo Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 19, 2012
    I think episode 4 was happy, because there was no guarantee of additional movies, otherwise it may have been different. Also I think episode 1 while happy, was somewhat forboding as Qui Gon was killed and the Ben / Anakin relationship began and the audience knew where that was headed..

I am thinking

7 forboding
    8 sad
    9 happy w/sadness

18. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Forebode me please.

19. Echo Base

Echo Base Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2013
    This is Star Wars, not Blake's 7! ;)

20. Loupgarou

Loupgarou Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 19, 2010
    I think you can do a happy ending, but with an obviously larger threat over the horizon. Though perhaps that would be too similar to TPM. Perhaps more something like, 'this horrible threat is about to strike, but now, after this adventure we've had, we're ready to take it on'. Which is happy, but obviously the beginning.

21. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    1 Sith win
    2 Sith win
    3 Sith win
    4 Sith... endure.
    5 Sith win
    6 Sith lose...
    7 loljk Sith endured again!
    8 Sith win
    9 Sith bite the big one.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  22. StoneRiver

Oct 6, 2004
    *Fixed ;)

The reason being that when the time comes for me to watch the films with my grandchildren (who are not born or even thought of yet) they will not know the story and through their eyes the end of TPM see's 1 Sith die, Anakin gonna be trained, the Naboo and the Gunguns defeat the trade federation and become friends. (and *fingers crossed* they wouldn't realise Palpatine is Sidious at that point) - Sith lose (but Sidious is still out there hence endure aswell)
    And when they view AotC Dooku would have been defeated in battle and forced to flea, the Republic have this large army so seem to be in a good position. So essentially, through a first time viewers eyes, the good guys win but then we see the 2 Sith together talking about their plans - Sith endure.

23. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    I don't know that I'd call the ending of TPM exactly happy. I mean, the celebration parade is happy, sure, but... everything is going as Palpatine planned. Qui-Gon is dead. Anakin's future is uncertain. Not entirely happy.

Anyway, as for Episode VII, I hope for something along the lines of foreboding. Like, "The new threat is here/coming, and we'll have to deal with it". Episode VIII, I'd hope for one last happy ending :)

Episode IX, however... I remember Lucas saying he'd always wanted SW to have a somber ending, with Luke distantly like, walking off into the sun(s)set or something. Perhaps an ambivalent ending is in order here. Everybody else partying up and having a good time, meanwhile Luke and/or the new hero silently becomes an outcast or something.

kainee likes this.
  24. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Yeah, I'd agree that the end of TPM is more foreboding than it is happy. Sure, Boss Nass is happy because he got one of those static electricity lightning balls from Sharper Image, and puppet Yoda is happy because he's drunk or stoned and watching a parade... but overall, it's more like Seagoat said... "everything is going as Palpatine planned. Qui-Gon is dead. Anakin's future is uncertain. Not entirely happy." Even for viewers who may not be familiar with the other movies yet, something (I would definitely think) would still seem "off" somehow.

25. StoneRiver

Oct 6, 2004

RED Hilghlight: Well when my grandchildren have been born and they are old enough, I'll test it ;)
    GREEN Highlight: [face_rofl]

I'm on the other side with this, we see it as foreboding because we know who Palpatine is, and we know what happens to Anakin.

If you look at it from a first time perspective:
    Anakin is being trained as a Jedi - yay!!
    Yes, Qui-Gon died, but Obi killed his assissin - yay!!
    The Gungans and the Naboo became friends - yay!!
    The Trade Federation were defeated and sent to Coruscant for sentencing - yay!!

But I do understand where you're coming from :)

Immortiss, kainee and eht13 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.