main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph All-Encompassing Anime/Manga Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Narutakikun, Dec 15, 2012.

1. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    Oddly, I couldn't find a general anime/manga thread around anywhere. So, I created one.

Personally, the last season has been all about Sword Art Online and Accel World for me. But it's been a great year in general, with top-notch shows like Nyaruko-san, Mysterious Girlfriend X, Nisemonogatari, and Hyouka.

But what have you been watching? What do you like/recommend/dislike/want to warn us all about?

2. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm not very current but I have reading lots of manga and watching plenty of anime.

I think the most current thing I've been watching is Bakuman. I'm also close to caught up with reading Bakuman and One Piece. I've been watching the early episodes of Dragon Ball with the 4 year old. Rewatching Cowboy Bebop almost every year. Started reading Death Note this year. Got myself a new copy of Ghost In the Shell. Watched a bunch of different series I can't remember the names of now. And I also started reading Monster.

3. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    A live stream so go to YT embed doesn't work

Ghost In the Shell: Arise

is coming

moosemousse and Seerow like this.
  4. Champion of the Force

Champion of the Force Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 27, 1999
    ::bump::

After a nearly 12 month time out I've gotten back into anime just recently, and have been catching up with some series I've been meaning to watch for some time. Finally caught the end of Hellsing Ultimate (only took 3 years. :p) and have also polished off Gunbuster & Gunbuster 2: Diebuster which proved to be much better than I originally expected.

Also quickly finished off Burn Up! W which I began watching over 10 years ago but only just now caught the remainder of (only 4 episodes in length thankfully).

Right now I'm slowly making my way through Noir and have also just started Slayers (which I've somehow never gotten around to watching before). I've also just begun watching Legend of the Galactic Heroes and I'm hooked - already watched watched 11 episodes in less than 2 days (which might be just as well considering there's 110 episodes to get through [face_hypnotized]).

5. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I recently watched the entirety of a show called Full Metal Panic!, which is a pretty good mecha show mixed with fish-out-of-water hilarity and antics.

I've heard good things about Noir, so I may check it out.

6. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I'm having the opposite problem where I'm really enjoying it, but I'm very rarely willing to sit down and devote my time to watching it. Consequently it's been months and I'm only about 50 episodes in. Good stuff, though.

Champion of the Force likes this.
  7. Darth_Arapsis

Darth_Arapsis Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2013
    I just finished the Bebop movie. Thinking about checking out some older anime.

8. Champion of the Force

Champion of the Force Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 27, 1999
    I started watching FMP years ago with my sister, never got around to finishing it. It's in my 'On Hold' list.

Does anyone here use one of the many anime sites online (particularly those that have massive databases attached)? I currently use MyAnimeList.net, before that Anime-Planet - being able to record all the shows I've watched/want to watch/watching is a godsend.

9. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    I've always been attracted to anime/manga but have only ever made time to dip my toes.

I switch to comics in the summer so will swing by an anime store near my job to try something out.

10. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
  11. Kran Starborn

Kran Starborn Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 19, 2013
    Am currently watching Dragonball which is an interesting anime obviously a lot different then Dragonball Z. Its actually my first time watching Dragonball because I only got into Dragonball Z first.

12. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I am currently watching that Harlock trailer again since I was alerted back to this thread...

13. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I can't comment on the anime, but as the comics go I really prefer Dragonball to Z. It's got a sort of naïve charm and whimsy to it the proverbial older brother series doesn't have.

That's probably compounded by the fact that Z had no less than 3 places where Toriyama plainly wanted to end the series, but c'est la vie.

Frank T. and JoinTheSchwarz like this.
  14. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    I am currently angry again about the new ghost in the shell

15. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Why?

Frank T. likes this.
  16. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Rurouni Kenshin was my gateway manga. I can always recommend that one (the anime too).

17. Kran Starborn

Kran Starborn Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 19, 2013
    I am watching Dragonball because for me its my first time ever watching this anime because when I got into this I started on Dragonball Z and had no way to watch the previous series till now. So far I am enjoying it even though its alot different Dragonball Z probably because of all the perviness and the showing off of Bulmas body.

18. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I watched Summer Wars last week. Not a masterwork, but entertaining, kind of touching, and sporting some nice animation.

19. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I just finished watching the show Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. I thought it was wicked fun and had a lot of great characters. It's also got what has to be my new favorite voice role of Steve Blum ever.

Seriously, I love over-the-top, and this series personifies that descriptor, while also having a genuinely good story, even if it stretches credulity a bit much towards the end. Also, now I wanna get a set of shades like Kamina's. ◥◣◢◤

Next up is Berserk: Golden Age.

20. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I find I'm growing less fond of TTGL with time. I'm blaming it on getting acquainted with the Getter Robo franchise which it, uh, "homaged extensively."

21. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    The only thing I remember from that series were tons of drills and

DO THE IMPOSSIBLE
    SEE THE INVISIBLE
    ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWAH
    TOUCH THE UNTOUCHABLE
    BREAK THE UNBREAKABLE
    ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWAH

Ramza and Todd the Jedi like this.
  22. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    BRUSH THE UNBRUSHABLE
    FLOSS THE UNFLOSSABLE
    YO YO USE SOME MOUTHWASH

KICK THE UNKICKABLE
    SCORE THE UNSCORABLE
    TOR TOR PLAY SOME SOCCER

23. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    [face_laugh] Ok, now I can't not post the song.

Rap and opera? Hell yeah!

And Ramza, are you saying TTGL ripped of Getter Robo, or was it more like took inspiration from it? I know it's a thin line, and I haven't seen Getter Robo, but from what I've heard it's more like how George Lucas took elements of Dune, Flash Gordan, The Hidden Fortress, etc. for A New Hope.

24. Randwulf Crescentmoon

Randwulf Crescentmoon Jedi Master star 4

May 25, 2013
    Dragon Ball (+ Z & GT), Inuyasha, Case Closed, Lupin III, Gundam Wing, Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star, Naruto and Trigun are some of my personal favorites.

Recently, I've been watching Bleach--another of my favorites. Every character is brilliantly written for, and occasionally villains/heroes team together for some incredible battle sequences. Also, the assortment of personalities, expanse of scenery and massive story scope within the show provide for a truly epic and entertaining experience that could seemingly go on forever.

25. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I'd place it closer to the relationship between Seven Samurai and Magnificent Seven, honestly, up to and including a more developed romance subplot. The only major difference between the first half and Getter Robo is they switched the starting position of the humans relative to the starting position of the Dinosaur Em- I mean, the Beastmen, and the latter half of the series might as well just be Getter Robo Go because it's the exact same holy ****.

Edit: That said, TTGL is a pretty big love letter to super robots in general, so it's not tremendously surprising that they'd crib heavily from one of the defining series, it's just... really jarring once you actually go read GR.