main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Yeah, I was about to post that.

A THIRD of Louisiana Republicans believing the Hurricane Katrina response is Obama's fault (really?!?!?!?! when he was in his first year as SENATOR??) is even more outrageous than a majority of Republicans nationwide blaming ACORN for Romney's loss in 2012.

2. shinjo_jedi

shinjo_jedi Jedi Master star 5

May 21, 2002
    I don't get this either. I can't count the number of times I see links on my Facebook of people mistaking it for reality. Even the Chinese State Media was fooled.

3. shinjo_jedi

May 21, 2002
    There's also the poll that shows only 6% of Americans know that the deficit has been shrinking from year to year under Obama.

4. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
  5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Wow, OK.

Because I'm sure people sleep on the streets on purpose and arresting them will motivate them to wave that magic wand and come up with an apartment deposit immediately.

Here's a thought, neighbor 90 miles to the south: how about helping people find jobs that pay well enough to rent a place to live?

I used to deliver food once a week to a large homeless shelter here and some of the stories are the saddest I've ever heard.

6. shinjo_jedi

May 21, 2002
    "Jobs, jobs, jobs, and by jobs I mean screaming over Obamacare, welfare, abortion, gays, voter fraud, and the poor."

7. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003

Spent my first 22 years growing up in this city. It has slowly gone to hell. The mayor, Steve Benjamin, and his minion city manager, Teresa Wilson, are unquestionably corrupt, and nobody cares. The infrastructure cannot support hiring competent employees capable of running polls for elections, google the disasters Columbia faced in 2012. Crime is up, violent crime is up sharply, the economy is tanking, and there is nowhere for the homeless to go. The Oliver Gospel Mission, which was the longtime downtown home for most of the city's homeless, crumbled years ago, so they have nowhere to go. As is true with many cities, they tend to gravitate towards the parks, which is also where the college population from USC/Benedict and also much of the city's middle class enjoy concerts. The line is very distinct between the haves and have-nots in Columbia, and the Rhett Butler side of town finally got to the Council with this act. There is an impressive and well-funded new 24-hour shelter that will help, but this overreach by city council is awful.

The way I see it, we're all one bad day away from being homeless. Been a bad year for my state, bad year for the Carolinas in general with the wackos running wild north of us, as well.

8. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    Yeah, I'm not buying this one bit. In fact, I'm going to come right out and call this article bull****.
    1. The poll in question was conducted by a Democratic-leaning think tank
    2. Poll results were "provided exclusively to TPM". BIG RED FLAG. ACTUAL POLLING DOES NOT OPERATE LIKE THAT.

9. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    In fact...Public Policy Polling is one of the worst polling groups around, deliberately asking provocative questions to get nutball answers. Like "should hipsters be taxed for being annoying" and "will Obama ascend to Heaven during the Rapture".

Just remember, when it comes to politics...if it sounds so insufferably stupid that it can't possibly be real....then yeah it's probably not.

10. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I guess teabagging is a job.

11. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    PPP just likes to ask fun, ridiculous polling questions, especially when in-between elections... and they were the most accurate pollster for the 2012 elections.

KnightWriter likes this.
  12. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  13. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    It's funny that welfare was originally created so women didn't have to work in order to support their families (it was originally a "family values" thing)...

14. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Oh man. So much derp in that article.

One, what the actual **** does the EPA and OSHA have to do with single motherhood?

And two, how does "cutting the size of government" help these women find child care that is good, affordable and fits with their working hours?

Of course, cutting the size of government would mean that every boss in America automatically would understand the needs and demands that mothers face, particularly single mothers. It would also mean that every company in America would, out of the goodness of its own heart, immediately raise the wages of mothers to levels at which they could afford good child care even if they were the sole wage earners in the house.

Oh, wait...

Iron_lord and Juliet316 like this.
  15. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    "Ok, so, this thing that every single mother is the poster child for the welfare state is nonsense… I know a lot of single moms go out to work and do very, very well for themselves.”

Ever notice how the far right knows everyone? Huckabee knows over 100 doctors and every one of them fears Obamacare. Beck knows Generals, Admrials, and Special Ops guys who all know that Benghazi could have been prevented.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  16. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    In his own deluded mind.

Jedi_Dajuan likes this.
  17. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    "I think the one place where I might be able to say something useful has to do with some of the talk about the military response. And I listened to the testimony of both Secretary Panetta and General Dempsey. And frankly had I been in the job at the time I think my decisions would have been just as theirs were. We don’t have a ready force standing by in the Middle East. Despite all the turmoil that’s going on, with planes on strip alert, troops ready to deploy at a moment’s notice. And so getting somebody there in a timely way – would have been very difficult, if not impossible. And frankly, I’ve heard, “Well, why didn’t you just fly a fighter jet over and try and scare ‘em with the noise or something?” Well, given the number of surface to air missiles that have disappeared from Gaddafi’s arsenals, I would not have approved sending an aircraft, a single aircraft – over Benghazi under those circumstances. With respect to sending in special forces or a small group of people to try and provide help, based on everything I have read, people really didn’t know what was going on in Benghazi contemporaneously. And to send some small number of special forces or other troops in without knowing what the environment is, without knowing what the threat is, without having any intelligence in terms of what is actually going on on the ground, I think, would have been very dangerous. And personally, I would not have approved that because we just don’t - it’s sort of a cartoonish impression of military capabilities and military forces. The one thing that our forces are noted for is planning and preparation before we send people in harm’s way. And there just wasn’t time to do that.” - Robert Gates, Bush appointee

Gates > Beck.

18. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Cable News then and now

The things that surprised me most:

[​IMG]

^Rachel Maddow

#7, Ed Schultz was opposite on immigration. I know hosts can be paid to spout nonsense they don't really believe, and I think the Ed Show sucks(Which replaced Matthews at 5 pm....wtf) but that was a surprise.

Aaaaand #8:

14. In 2008, CNN’s Richard Quest was busted in New York’s Central Park at 3 a.m. with drugs in his pocket, a rope around his neck that was tied to his genitals, and a sex toy in his boot. He’s still with the network.

Whoa.

19. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Being anti-immigration is actually a pretty traditional union position, of a piece with opposing free trade agreements. The problem is that something like construction can be undercut by foreign laborers more easily than can non-exportables (legal counsel, haircuts) or jobs requiring heavy human capital (technology/programming jobs). They've only come around to it in recent years as a matter of A)the broad overlap in all other issues between the prospective new citizens and this faction and B)the realization that because illegals can't demand fair wages or benefits, this actually drives prices down, and exacerbates the trend labor was trying to stop by opposing immigration.

20. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    I heard some about what Quest getting busted, but not that it was so recent, and not about the rope tied to his genitals.

21. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    Well what does it really matter? So the guy had a rope around his gentials. Call me when he's caught taking a bribe to lie on the air.

22. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
  23. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I think the point is that it this sort of career would abort any serious professional career in other fields.

24. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
  25. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    what the **** is a herb tarlek impersonator?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.