main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Newsroom

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthTunick , Jul 14, 2013.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The last few episodes have been pretty good- both with Sloan's photo subplot, the Africa incident and, now, the Genoa framestory coming to a head. Given the real events the Genoa storyline is based on (Operation Tailwind), Jerry's actions aren't that surprising, but they made it feel so.

On the whole I'e also been surprised by how much time this season has covered- last season they stayed about 2 years behind reality, but now they're a year or less behind. That would strike me as limiting the impact of characters' reactions to events, but I suppose they could slow down a bit next season to compensate.

Sorkin said in an interview that the season's focus was meant to focus on the events leading up the revelation, as they wanted to show how, given the information known at the time, how people could come to a similar conclusion. I would assume that is why they've been slow-burning towards the revelation.

DarthTunick likes this.
  2. Darth Droid

Darth Droid Jedi Master star 2

Jul 4, 2013
    I am very excited to see how the Genoa thing is going to go down in the next episode. Also season two has finally gotten this shows characters into love relationships I can care about. Don/Sloan and Jim/Hallie(Hollie?) are much more believable and real than any of the season one hookups.

3. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    I had been wondering all along how they would be able to frame the story as the core editorial staff have been shown to be at a level of competence that a "he said, she said" situation would be a cop out. But the minute they had the bit about not being able to get the game out of the shot I had my answer on the how of Jerry being caught out.

I'm loving the amount of good screen time Munn is getting this season. First the story and scenes with Sadoski, plus the subtle touch in the brush past with Waterson. Now the scenes she got with Daniels this week and the interplay there. Classic Sorkin interpersonal interaction where there is as much not being said as actually said, just like it would be between two people with the level of closeness they are trying to convey. The Don and Mac conversation was also a nice touch.

DarthTunick likes this.
  4. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    I really enjoyed the first season of this show. Everything seemed to click for me there, Will's disillusionment - them wanting to make a far more fact based accounting of the news than we actually get, and even the anti right wing stuff.

This season has kinda dropped the ball for me. I feel like Will, while still shown as being a card carrying Republican, is really far less convincing than he was written to be in season 1. Instead of getting the vibe that he wants to change the Republican party, I now feel like he is a mouthpiece who wants to do nothing more than destroy anything and everything right wing.

They even tease at this at the start of the season when Charlie pokes Will about being a Republican, and Will's sarcastic response is that he wants to change the party from within. He doesn't give specifics, he doesn't say what is right or who he admires in the party - it is just played as a joke.

Don't get me wrong, between the Tea Party, Rush Limbaugh running for Republican Leadership, women in binders and anti gay propaganda - they are easy targets. But if they want me to believe that Will is actually a Republican loyalist they need to do a better job of framing that. In my opinion one of the best episodes of Season 1 was when Will gets torn apart by the gay Santorum representitive because he ignorantly pushes to hard at 'his' agenda.

The show needs more of a balance of Will being always right, and him slipping up or just being flat out wrong.

Oh, and most, if not all of the relationship stuff is yawn worthy. :p

5. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Outstanding episode. They got that one right in every single way, even down to Jane Fonda's part at the end. "Jerome Dantana," lol. And the guy whose kid died was totally unexpected, that was shocking- I'll say it again, Waterston deserves an Emmy- he was brilliant in that scene.

I hope that they announce renewal and a third season soon. Next episode in two weeks!

DarthTunick likes this.
  6. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    That was an intense episode. Jane Fonda was great.

Yodaminch and DarthTunick like this.
  7. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    this show gets better every freaking episode. and now i have a bigger crush on jane fonda than olivia munn.

that ending! so full of win.

DarthTunick likes this.
  8. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Just watched it again. Yeah, Jane Fonda killed it. The episode was great, but she made it hers at the end. "Get it back!"

Yodaminch and DarthTunick like this.
  9. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    I will concur with the sentiment here about last night's episode*... aside from the twist of Charlie's inside source being in on the Genoa hoax, I loved Will's "it's always that one thing" monologue in his scene with Marcia Gay Harden, and Don's scene with her earlier in the episode. Too bad we've got to wait 2 weeks until the next episode, and that this season will end with 9 of them, instead of last season's 10.

*I can't keep track of the Maggie hair timeline anymore, though. It's too confusing.
    :p

heels1785 likes this.
  10. Dingo

Apr 23, 2001
    That episode was basically a master class in pacing and story reveal.

DarthTunick likes this.
  11. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    One of the best episodes. Every actor seemed to have a great part that kept building the tension. Will's monologue, Mac's discovery, Charlie's confrontation. And then Jane Fonda's Leona came in and just blew them all out of the water. She definitely stole the show last night.

DarthTunick likes this.
  12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, just a great episode on all fronts- with some twists that we didn't expect revolving around those we did.

That's funny- I was actually thinking how they seemed to be compensating for Will in Season 1 (where he seemed less right-wing due to how vehemently he went after certain factions) by making him be "more Republican" this season.

13. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
  14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  15. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    What an episode.

What. an. episode.

Don't mean to sound like Larry King here, but this season has been phenomenal.

DarthTunick likes this.
  16. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    i'm so pumped for next week! ​

DarthTunick likes this.
  17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The "you're shouting the names of smart people into my ear" bit had been rolling, and the "what's the color of my hair? you're looking right at it now." "It's the color of goodness" was amusing as well... plush Sam's yell [face_laugh]

DarthTunick likes this.
  18. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    I couldn't quite make out what he yelled there, though. :p But still, as always in this show, Waterson is pure gold (re: his "we've gone to the zoo" rant earlier in the episode, and him try to get Reese to convince Leona to accept their resignations). Strange to see Mac so defeated & miserable (well, that miserable), and the less of Maggie taunting Jim, the better (the only really weak link of last night's episode). I wonder if we'll find out who bought Sloan's book from that auction, because with all the attention paid to it, there better a nifty payoff there. The finale next week ought to be really really, really good.

19. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I also laughed when Elliot yelled "Be less desperate for female friends!" at Sloan in the makeup room.

20. Darth Droid

Darth Droid Jedi Master star 2

Jul 4, 2013
    Season two has been lightyears ahead of season one. I can't wait to see how Sorkin finsihes it off. And with the recent News of the renewel for S3, things are lookin up!

I do hope Hailie(?) doesn't betray Jim and spill the beans, but I've got a bad feeling she will.

Jerry suing Don is such a jerk move, that guy just gets worse and worse all the time.

21. Dingo

Apr 23, 2001
    I hope they keep Constance Zimmerman around for next season. With Don having transformed from the first episode to now and being a much more sympathetic character they need someone to be the abrasive foil, especially for Jim. Frankly that character has been languishing for the majority of the season, and that's because of they way he is presented, you need a strong and smart counterpoint to make any conflict work.

DarthTunick likes this.
  22. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    She was very good in a similar role on Entourage... I very much concur that her character/presence this season has been a huge plus.

23. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Constance Zimmer was brilliant also on the best TV show of my lifetime, Boston Legal. She was on the end of season 2 and then featured in season 3, I believe. She's a great actress, and a beautiful lady too.

Yodaminch and Dingo like this.
  24. Dingo

Apr 23, 2001
    Yeah, Boston Legal is where I first saw her as well, and she held her own with the top tier actors that headlined it which is no mean feat.

heels1785 likes this.
  25. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Absolutely. Spader, Shatner, Bergen, Rene, and eventually Larroquette. So many up and comers too, like Taraji Henson and Julie Bowen. And then there's the great Christian Clemenson.

Not to go off subject too much here, but Spader has a new show on NBC coming. Looks really good.