main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Episode VII and... The Netherworlds?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by HegoDamask, Aug 16, 2013.

1. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    I was watching the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark this evening and it occurred to me that all the supernatural parts of the film begin within the last 20 minutes of the film. Up until that point there were no ghosts. The same with both The Last Crusade and KOTCS. It's instructive in that KK was the Executive producer on those films, all of which were Lucas projects. It could be the way the entire ST ends. In fact it would be best if the plot consisted of no Force Ghosts at all until the end. Luke dies but doesn't disappear. The Force is waning. Life is in the balance. The protagonists are on their own... Luke is dead and unable to crossover and the new heroes have no ability to contact or commune with their Force Elders and Descendants.

Also, the Holograms of the Jedi in the PT look like Force Ghosts, especially during the council meetings...foreshadows? Take a look if you want to get used to the idea.

2. Joe

Joe Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 25, 2012
    For some reason, I keep imagining scenes of an ether filled with the souls of the past Jedi and Sith as a Highlander ripoff, with ground Obi-Wan as Connor MacLeod.

3. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    im imagining a scene of a force ghost jedi council...............someone else made the suggestion of a battle in the living world and a battle in the netherworld going on at the same time aka Endor battle/Naboo battle....i love this idea!!! )If people want to have a look at how I see netherworld battles look up the UK comic strip Nemesis the Warlock Book one....the reason i think I love this idea so much is because I was watching Star Wars and reading the UK Comic 2000ad at the same time (7 - 13yrs old)

4. Ganger

Ganger Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 1999
    I finally finished reading every comment on this thread and I honestly can't imagine a worst path for the new movies to take. I'm seriously appalled by what I just read, and to think that the lot of commentators here are also on board with the idea of Anakin and Obi Wan force ghosts portrayed by the prequel era actors as their young selves makes me really worried about what is expected of this new movies.

Of course this time we know nothing about the movies, nothing at all. We don't even know if Han, Luke and Leia are going to be in it (although their silence is an answer in itself), maybe these are just crazy rumors turning into even crazier speculation. It's great that everybody is exercising their imagination but it feels like everybody is making Star Wars to be this heavily complex fantasy world when it really isn't and it'll probably never be.

Do you really think these new guys who have this amazing weight on their shoulders would go in such a direction? Do you really think they would incorporate paradigm shifting elements such as these? I have a hard time thinking they would attempt such a thing. The universe they are now ruling is rich enough and I'm not talking about EU.

Star Wars is a manifestation of earth's history and culture through the eyes of a Flash Gordon enthusiast and it has never really changed that much. It has gotten darker, dumber, kid-friendlier, you name it . . . but it has never derailed like that, not in the movies at least.

Darth_Pevra and Jedirush2112 like this.
  5. Jedirush2112

Jedirush2112 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2013
    I completely Agree, The only Netherworld we should witness is that of a Force Ghost like Yoda or Ben coming to contact Luke. Nothing Else. Anything besides that would just make things way to complicated.

[face_plain]

6. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    I think the Netherworld would work pretty well if the Sith apprentice simply found a way to open a door and let old Sith return.

7. Theron Solo

Theron Solo Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 31, 2012

Cool thanks appreciate it

8. Granger

Granger Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 1, 2012
    My biggest fear for the sequel trilogy is that they pull some kind of Planet Zeiss crap that just ruins everything as a way to bring dead characters back a la Highlander 2.

Joe Antonetti likes this.
  9. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    Well, there are Force Ghosts, right? What if the whole problem for the protagonists in the ST is the inability to contact or commune with their past Elders? Luke dies, but his body doesn't disappear. They need their help, because some Dark Side villains threaten to destroy all the Jedi, again. No ghosts until the very end of IX and they ride in like the cavalry to save the day. Only 10 mins of ghosts in the whole trilogy. Would that be O.K?

EDIT: Just trying to make you feel better about the ST.

10. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    I think this is the best course of action for the ST; they can certainly bring Force Ghosts into the mix, but don't make them appear so frequently, lest you diminish the wonder of their appearance and render them non-extraordinary, and don't have them overly important to the main plot. You bring up an interesting idea about them "riding in like the cavalry to save the day". I'm not too sure I like the idea of a Force Ghost Deus Ex Machina, but if Ghost Palpatine is indeed returning, this might be the inevitable outcome necessary to defeat him, or whatever villain that's trying to cast forth the Emperor's final legacy.

The Hellhammer and Dra--- like this.
  11. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    If it's the end of this particular series, maybe it doesn't matter if you reduce the wonder. When people watch the Saga in order, the wonder will come in the OT. It doesn't need to remain in the ST necessarily.

12. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    I'm holding up hope that this is just one of perhaps three parts to some final resolution. Something with a bit more complexity and depth. I'm not a writer, so I have no idea what these two other parts could be or even how this works without an event that alters the situation completely as you suggest. I do like the idea of biblical armageddon; various planets with plagues, floods, locusts, scourge (all credit goes to Jedirush2112 for that one) at the end of the ST. The Force is dying. Luke sacrificing himself, just like Ben, thinking he will be more powerful that we can possibly imagine, but nothing happens. He's just dead. No transformation. I think it poses an incredible problem for the protagonists. Plagueis would be my ideal for this scenario. Palpatine his servant or a key to his downfall. I would like to see Palpatine diminished to a shadow of his former self after his complete failure to Luke in the OT. Thanks Circular Logic: Your comments are always thought provoking.

Dra--- and Circular Logic like this.
  13. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    And that is a possibility according to GL's old notes.

I would only suggest that we need to be able to relate to the living. Old characters crowd out the new characters opportunities for development. VII will already feature the Big Three, I assume. Old characters in Ghost form have the potential to crowd the new protagonists in the rest of the ST. With all this where are the writers going to insert our new able heroes? Also, dwelling in the Netherworld might be a recipe for disaster. It's a dangerous place. [face_devil][face_nail_biting][face_hypnotized]

14. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    Well, it could be possible that Ewan might appear as Obi-Wan's Force ghost, but made up to look like Guinness.

15. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    That would be stupid, he doesn't sound anything like Guinness.

They'd be better off attempting to CGI Guinness into the movie, way Audrey Hepburn was done in a recent TV ad:

It looks amazing, and Lucas said few years ago they were working on ways to bring long dead actors back into movies. Maybe the new pioneering thing this Star Wars will do is succeed in bringing Alec Guinness back, complete with dialogue.

16. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012

Maybe we're sort of off base assuming the ST needs a lot of new faces? The PT had old faces: R2-D2, C3PO, Palpatine, Obi-Wan, Yoda, (technically) Anakin/Vader. Brand new main characters were Padme, Qui-Gon, Mace, and Jar Jar.

The ST might be similar. Four or five old faces as regulars; three or four new faces as regulars.

That way you don't lose fan familiarity with a whole new set of heroes the fans might not love. And it also makes the three trilogies feel like one saga.

Also, I'm starting to think there will be no dwelling in the Netherworld at all, but that it would be much simpler for a door to be opened that lets the old Sith and a few Jedi through.

Graphic, Immortiss and StoneRiver like this.
  17. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    I'm also starting to think that even though the Netherworld will be mentioned, and will be required to access it to commune with the ghosts, I don't think we're actually gonna see it.

Immortiss and Dra--- like this.
  18. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Looks quite fake, especially her slow-mo blinking.

19. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I agree, and I don't really think we should see it.

20. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    Yes, although an Underworld we could see. For instance, the early drafts of ROTJ Luke descends to a 'Hell' world to confront Palpatine. Our hero may have to go to hell and back. In the belly of the (whale) planet. I would like to see many of the unused or dropped ideas for which Lucas and SW are famous.

I just bought The Prequel Storyboards book and I was watching 'Thor, last night and one great concept that didn't make it to TPM was a Dark Side power Maul had, which Loki has in Thor, and that is the ability to make multiple fake/false images of oneself appear to your enemy. A great deceptive tactic. Another fun, great unused idea. Bring them on GL. I truly hope they pull out all the stops for the ST.

21. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    That power would be awesome, it really fits with Maul, him being a sort of fast, agile, rogue-like, ninja-like fighter. Too bad we didn't get to see that.

purplerain and Immortiss like this.
  22. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    We didn't see Palpatine use this power, either. Perhaps he knew, or perhaps it is a power far more advanced than either Palpatine of Maul. Someone more powerful.

purplerain and StoneRiver like this.
  23. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    I like the idea of a spirit or resurrected, more monstrous Palpatine being more powerful than ever and using this creepy power on our new Jedi apprentice/knight. [face_devil]

purplerain, Immortiss and MiamiJedi like this.
  24. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    If there's one thing Palps is, he is very creepy. Evil unmasked.

Dra--- likes this.
  25. JediKnightOB1

JediKnightOB1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 26, 2003
    I don't think Uncle Palpy is going to return, just a hunch.