main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Imperial Senate

Discussion in 'Literature' started by General Immodet, Aug 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    What do you think happened to Kinman Doriana?

2. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Palpatine killed him/a Jedi killed him/the Rebel Alliance killed him.

3. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Heart attack when he finally figured out that Palpatine and Sidious were the same person. :p

Barriss_Coffee, JackG, Lugija and 2 others like this.
  4. General Immodet

Dec 5, 2012
    Was it true Sate Pestage was Palpatine's food taster, so he would not get poisoned?

5. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    According to DESB, yes. He's portrayed as Palp's humble servant and confidant.

Doriana is currently in the Zahnlimbo, probably waiting for a Dark Times novel to come out. I hear him and the Guardian of Mt Tantiss have started a book club over there.

6. General Immodet

Dec 5, 2012
    Maybe Doriana was the Guardian of Mt Tantiss! :eek:

7. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
  8. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I kind of hope that it's something really mundane. Like he died in a speeder crash. He just happened not to make it, and sometimes not everything is part of a giant conspiracy or story.

On the other hand, if it is a "story" death, I hope he doesn't just die on a secret mission gone bad or something, or that Palpatine has him offed because he "knows too much" or something lame. It should be something we wouldn't expect -- he's feeding information to Garm Bel Iblis, or Palpatine is using him as a propped-up rival to Vader and Vader secretly engineers his death, or Dangor or Xizor sets him up in a Court power play. Or he commits suicide and no one is ever quite sure why.

9. Parnesius

Parnesius Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 8, 2012
    A comparatively mundane exit does appeal, on well-rounded-universe grounds if nothing else, but I'm also drawn to the idea of somebody high up getting an entirely enigmatic fate. No 'it was probably Palpatine', no 'the truth shall be revealed years later'; it remains utterly mystifying, in-universe and out-, for all time.

Like...one day Doriana's secretary comes back from getting a cup of tea, pokes her head in the office...and Doriana's gone. No indication of a struggle or flight or suicide. And he's never seen again. The Emperor's as baffled as anyone. All the Empire's myriad investigative agencies spend years searching for an explanation to no avail, everyone has a different theory as to what happened, and it's generally one of the biggest, weirdest, most popular mysteries of the age, a Lord Lucan or Harold Holt for the Galactic Empire.

Obviously that doesn't have to be Doriana; there's a host of possibilities for that sort of thing, but it is a sort of thing that I wouldn't mind seeing sometime.

10. General Immodet

Dec 5, 2012
    Maybe he became a dancer for Gardulla the Hutt...

11. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Too soon, dude.

12. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Whenever I read about the Ibis of Kallimachos (or Ovid, for that matter), which is a highly polished vituperative assault poem, I keep reading it as Iblis and have the idea of Palpatine or Dangor or somebody getting really fed up at him and just deciding to scrawl out a really angry, dark side poem at him. :p

And then instead they just send a hit squad after him and his family.

13. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I'd like for Doriana to have faked his death and retired to the GFFA equivalent of Argentina. In 40 ABY he's living in a bungalow somewhere.

Just like not everyone needs a "story" death, not everyone needs to die. It takes a crapload of people to run a Galactic Empire, some are bound to slip through the cracks.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  14. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    So somewere in the Senex/Juvex? [face_beatup]

Vialco likes this.
  15. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    What kind of stories in the Imp. Senate would peolpe like to see?

16. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Gerrymandering

17. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    We have enough problems thanks to the Evil Empires gerrymandering the crap out of the country, no need to add that to Star Wars.

As for Doriana, I'd like to see him have been assigned to oversee one of the Emperor's storehouses. Not Wayland, which was apparently the most important one, but a lesser one somewhere out of the way, later forgotten when the Emperor died at Endor.

18. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    * blowing own horn *

There's tons of stuff about the Senate and how it works in the early chapters of the Essential Atlas. Diving into that stuff was one of the most enjoyable parts of the project.

* ends blowing own horn, looks around, wanders off *

19. AdmiralSteven

AdmiralSteven Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 23, 2010
    I would love to read a story about the senate. But then again I really get into reading stories about your everyday person, not your street sweeper kind of guy, but non Jedi kinds of guys. Don't get me wrong, I like reading about the Jedi, too, couldn't put Kenobi down, but I really get into the stories about non Jedi. So, I would vote a bit yes to having a book or two about the Senate.

20. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 19, 2003
    Imperial Senate--Phooey! I would rather have stories about when COMPNOR's Select Committee takes over. Then you could see what happens when true believers are running the government.

Barriss_Coffee and Gamiel like this.
  21. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Can you give the cliffs notes for the people that don't have the Atlas?

22. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Yes, yes, the Atlas stuff is good, but we want more. :p Both that and Guide to Warfare were release day purchases (actually maybe prerelease, I made the Barnes and Noble people get me copies out from the back so I could buy them both times ) So keep up the great work ^:)^

How about an essential Guide to the Galactic Empire that goes into the government, society, all those factions and cabals, the warlords, ect. The Warlord Articles on the blog are good, maybe include/expand on those too. And more of the cool Dark Times 19BBY-0BBy stuff. We know you can do awesome stuff, lets see this happen so it can join the other awesome Essential guides on our shelves. Then maybe a counterpart Essential guide to the Rebellion? [:D]

(oh, and please fix the Viscount so the 3,000 meter thing is just the "shuttle section" and it is properly the same size as the rest of her class, please?) [face_batting]

It goes into a lot of how the galaxy is divided up into regions, sectors, oversectors, ect. and representation in the senate, and how that has changed over time as sectors grew and shrank. Serious, get a copy. It's like 1/3 cool maps, 1/3 planetary profiles, and 1/3 history lesson on the GFFA.

jasonfry and Gamiel like this.
  23. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I can actually get a copy, my library have it :D
    I was thinking on the other people that can not so easily get one

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.