main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Geonosis: So much good you don't even see

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Revanfan1, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I have gone back and rewatched the Geonosis scenes starting from when Anakin and Padme were going into the Arena, and there is so much background coolness going on! When the Jedi come in, for example, while Mace is talking to Dooku, if you look very closely at the background you can see more blue and green bars popping up from a distance. They didn't just insert them there; they actually showed them igniting from a distance! Or, when the SBDs first come in and start shooting at Mace, when Dooku and Jango move for cover, Jango slips his helmet on. I never really paid attention to it before; it wasn't there and then it was. But to be able to identify that point when he put the helmet on is just cool.

Then, during the fight, I noticed several things. First, when you get the close-up of Sarissa Jeng (the young Jedi girl with the very large forehead who does the karate yell), you can see not just a generic Jedi in the background, but Aayla Secura–they actually put the characters in the fight, not just the gathering scene before the clones came in. Or, when Anakin and Padme are riding the chariot, you can see several Jedi with two lightsabers. And when Jango dies, and it shows the close-up of Boba reacting, there's a weapon rack with maces and spears on it beside him. When the fight ends and the Jedi are gathered in a circle, if you look at Nute Gunray, he has his hand on a pillar like he's supporting himself after something very draining; and I suppose that goes along well with when the blaster bolts bounced up right over his head in the earlier scene.

And when the gunships come in, when the clones jump out and start shooting, Ki-Adi-Mundi has switched from a blue lightsaber to a green one (I think this has been noted before). One of the gunships decapitates a battle droid with its beam laser. A droideka is rolling back and forth like it's in evasive maneuvers. Also, take note that one of the clones hops back away from a blaster bolt like he's panicked before he raises his blaster back up to fire (takes place at 12:02-12:03 of the video below). When Boba finds his dad's helmet, they did well to remember the whole scene: the reek's carcass can be seen in the corner. Finally, when the gunships land out in the field, while Mace talks to a clone commander, note who Ki-Adi and Kit Fisto talk to: not just regular clones. Ki talks to a sergeant and Kit to a captain.

Anyways, I was just enjoying how much fun background stuff they threw in here. :D

2. CrustyCrumble

CrustyCrumble Jedi Youngling

Aug 22, 2013
    Well done for noticing all that, because I certainly didn't! You right though its kinda cool

Revanfan1 likes this.
  3. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    Did any of you noticed the architecture found on the planet? I did. Beautiful to look at. A good deal of the architecture resembled Gothic churches.

4. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Beautiful place, but wouldn't want to live there

5. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    I didn't really pay attention to the architecture, but I did notice that the gunships must travel fast. When Padme falls out, they're still in the dunes. By the time Anakin and Obi-Wan are through arguing (even why they still are arguing), they're into the mountainous regions.

6. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    Apparently you can see the shadow of Jango's head fall out of the helmet before it rolls away, hence, his head not flopping gruesomely out of the helmet when Boba picks it up. This I've only recently heard about and haven't spotted it yet. But yes, there is SO MUCH going on in that battle it's absolutely insane. The only weak part about it is that it comes after more two solid hours of movie, that your attention span might trail off a bit. But you can and will notice something new every time.

Attack of the Clones has my favorite imagery in the entire saga. All the planets - Kamino, the new parts of Naboo, and especially Geonosis, just look so unique and amazing.

7. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    I watched it again. Saw the shadow. My face grew pale. Look very closely at the ground; you can see two shadows. One goes flying even farther than the helmet. [face_sick]

8. Tollhouse

Tollhouse Jedi Padawan

Aug 22, 2013
    Hahaha yes. I've spotted this. I've even paused and slowed down the speed to see if I can see his head clearly. I don't think you can. But on a related note you can see a bit of Dooku's head when he's beheaded in ep 3. XD I forget if you can see his face clearly. I'm sure it's blurry though.

DarthBoba likes this.
  9. WatTamborWoo

WatTamborWoo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 22, 2011
    The arena battle and beginning of the Clone Wars is classic Star Wars. Almost the entire final "reel" consists of action, sound and music with little dialog.
    I loved all of this section of the Saga and when I came out of the theatre I just had this vision of the Federation Ship Sphere being shot down and crashing!
    Not only is the stuff going on in the background but it is full of amazing colours - all the reds, oranges, browns etc. The concept art for this by Erik Tiemens and Ryan Church is fabulous. The idea being conveyed by the colours is dusk coming down on the Republic era (from brightness of day in TPM through the oranges and reds of evening in AOTC to the darkening twilight in ROTS).
    Even the battle is weirdly beautiful - especially when the Clones are fighting in the dust cloud after the Sphere crashes.

They used actual footage of battles in order to get an idea of how to shoot the Geonosian Battle. For example the following shot of the Gunships landing was taken from helicopters landing and troops jumping out from the Vietnam War:

[​IMG]

10. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    There's so much going on it's almost sensory overload to take it all in. You really need to see these scenes several times to ingest all the goings-on. The level of detail these films achieved is mind-boggling. I remember people felt the same way with the OT, especially the Battle of Endor. There are those who feel some of the highly detailed imagery was a bombardment of the senses and were put off by what they felt was a visual assault. But for those claims, which perhaps is partly true, I never felt these scenes were too chaotic to keep up with. I could follow where focal characters were and what actions were taking place without having to give a lot of thought to it. It's when you start to dissect the scene and realize just how much action is taking place in the background that it really sinks in just how 'wow!' all of this is.

11. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Oh definitely. Every scene is dense, but they're so masterfully composed it doesn't just end up a mess.

12. darth_mccartney

darth_mccartney Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2008
    Cool! And at the 6min 48sec mark in the vid you can see Luminara Unduli to the very right of frame fighting away behind Obi Wan.

And at the 8min 56sec mark (the shot where Kit Fisto pushes over 3PO you can see R2 way off in the background coming their way!

Also cool at 11min 44sec when the gunship is flying over the arena shooting and you see them pass over the circle of surviving Jedi. Its such an obvious thing to have in there but something you might not notice!

Finally at 12min 19sec as the gunships fly out of the arena you can see the reeks dead body at the bottom left hand side of the frame.

Lot of cool stuff going on in the arena!

WatTamborWoo and Revanfan1 like this.
  13. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Awesome sightings! Especially Artoo in the background; who'd ever see that? :)

14. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    Never noticed Jango putting on his helmet before, that's really cool how he jumps out to get suited up before firing back at Mace. And I have noticed the shadow of Jango's head.

Really, I'm surprised Lucas doesn't get as much credit as other directors for the insane amount of detail condensed in his movies. The stunts were amazing, even for the extras. The scene never gets old; I mean, you can focus on a different section each time, and you'll still be amazed with what you see.

15. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    This is why AOTC is my favorite film out of the entire saga. Great observations!

mes520, ezekiel22x and WatTamborWoo like this.
  16. DARTHKANISS

DARTHKANISS Jedi Grand Master star 1

Sep 8, 2004
    Didn't the extras say in these scenes Lucas let his staff go crazy? He didn't have any input. Look how well that worked out, they did a great job IMO.

17. WatTamborWoo

Jan 22, 2011
    I agree. It is something that I love seeing again and again.

Another thing I felt from the film, when I saw it in the theatres, were how the gunships, when they arrived, formed a circle and were just "there in your face" making them menacing.
    This shot is a 'point of view' shot of a gunship coming down and wiping out all the droids on the ground. It conveys how frightening these weapons of war are supposed to be. So the directors of the shots did not just randomly put loads of 'stuff' in but wanted the audience to experience some of the battle in some way.

[​IMG]

Samnz likes this.
  18. WatTamborWoo

Jan 22, 2011
    It is also my favourite episode of the saga! Glad to know there is someone else out there too!

Darth Eddie, Vialco and ezekiel22x like this.
  19. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Oh yeah, it's the best by far.

The Kamino fight between Obi-Wan and Jango

Asteroid Space Fight

Arena Battle

And my all-time favorite, Dooku vs Yoda, which is the best duel in the Saga, IMO.

[​IMG]

And Dooku's best line while completely dominating Obi-Wan.

Surely you can do better.

Pure awesome!

WatTamborWoo likes this.
  20. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    I love all of the background stuff in AOTC.

Not the battle, but my favorite little background thing is when Anakin and Padme are talking to Watto, and in the background you see a toddler of some species waddle after a chicken-like animal.

FRAGWAGON, TX-20 and Revanfan1 like this.
  21. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    I need to find this.

Found it. 04:29. It's an Aleena child, chasing a...nuna, I think.

WatTamborWoo likes this.
  22. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012
    Yes, that's it. I love that bit.

23. WatTamborWoo

Jan 22, 2011
    Ha! Brilliant - never noticed it before.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  24. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    Never noticed that, will keep my eyes open for it. I love that scene more for the gesture Watto does with his fists when he recognizes Anakin.

25. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012
    It's actually directly before they're talking to Watto (sorry for my error there). It's at 4:29 in the video Revanfan1 posted earlier in this thread. It's directly to the left of Anakin.

TX-20 likes this.