main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC The shooting of Christopher Lane

Discussion in 'Community' started by Eeth-my-Koth, Aug 21, 2013.

1. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Once again, in his attempt to make someone look bad, Ender himself has to eat the first course of crow.

2. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Screw you, Tulsa's amazing. The Philbrook Museum is one of the most beautiful small museums I've ever been to and they have exhibits rotate in on everyone from Rauschenberg to Rodin to ancient Greek depictions of Aphrodite. Cain's Ballroom consistently ranks on lists of the ten best concert venues in the country; Beck and Bob Dylan have both been there specifically because of how historic and awesome it is. The BOk center has brought in everyone from Springsteen to Lady Gaga over the past two years. The Circle Cinema brings in consistently interesting, compelling documentaries, independent and foreign films, cult movies and classics at the rate of three new films a week, most of which I want to see. Downtown has a wonderful architectural heritage with some really stunning art deco buildings. Great food too; it's Oklahoma, so we have at least three genuinely great (as in GREAT) hamburger joints, plus some awesome Mexican food, thanks to a large community of Hispanics (if you can get past blatant racism, the Hispanic culture is awesome around here; there's always something cool going on in their neighborhood). God, and then there's Tulsa University . . . I could spend days on that campus and not see everything they have going on at any given time. If you can't find something to do every night in Tulsa, you're just not trying. Oh, yeah, really great theater scene; everything from huge touring companies coming through to small avant garde theater groups. One of my favorites is the Heller Theatre; they do everything from Christopher Durang to classic Greek drama in a tiny little space that seats about thirty people. The Heller always gives a really vivid, intimate theatrical experience. And let's not forget The Drunkard, the longest running play in the country; it's been running continuously in the same theater since 1954. I'm in that one, so I'm biased, I suppose.

Expand into Bartlesville and things get even better. The Price Tower, the OKMozart festival . . . Tallgrass Prairie on out a ways. Then there's OKC, which is . . . pretty great; some incredible food up there too. Art, museums, etc. And, yeah, nature? Amazing. Some wonderful nature preserves. And I, Native American to boot, haven't even touched on the fantastic Native culture around here. Going to a Native church is amazing; and some of that food is incredible too. Frybread . . . and, my gosh, wild onion salad with grape dumplings . . . ^:)^ Two hour radius of my house . . . there's more stuff worth doing than I could do in a whole life time, I bet. Yes, I know, in NYC, you could say the same thing about a frigging fifteen minute radius, but still, I love where I live.

Duncan, however, yeah. That place is a pile of nothing in the middle of nowhere. There are definitely some real hellholes in the state. As in like Sartre's No Exit, just existentialist nightmares with no escape. I mean, that is true.

Yes, your original post was a joke and this is off topic, but . . . I rarely defend my state against the slings and arrows it gets and I was in a mood to do so today. :)

Frank T. likes this.
  3. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Killing someone out of boredom... just sick.

4. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    The two things I remember from Tulsa culture are the Audubon turkey and the giant praying hands. But like I said, that's no excuse for violence against others. Living in Oklahoma wouldn't make me kill anyone but myself.

5. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Ah, no.

6. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    I've driven to OK 3 times to see Dylan and sadly it was never at that historic venue you mentioned. Boo

7. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    The dynamic you should be thinking of here is innocent vs. guilty, as opposed to dumb vs. smart. There is often a very large difference between the behavior of innocent people and the behavior of the guilty.

8. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    There's a a very large difference between the behavior of people the police think are innocent and people the police think are guilty.

9. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Hence the appearance of the word "often".

10. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    So then, Arwen, what exactly is your point? The discussion was not about whether false confessions usually happen. It was about whether they happen at all.

They clearly do. Which is why your smearing of Even was grossly inappropriate, intellectually feeble, and peculiarly over-eager to racialize the situation.

11. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Except for the fact that one of them tweeted how much he hates white people.

Learn how to read, like the "intellectually feeble". Or is that terminally ill degree getting in the way again?

12. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    White Entertainment Television: The Search Continues, a documentary by Aryan_Fenn

13. TahiriVeilaSolo69

TahiriVeilaSolo69 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    I tweet about how much I hate white people all the time...

Darth Guy and Rogue_Ten like this.
  14. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Isn't racial profiling by definition something done by law enforcement?

15. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I didn't know what other term to use for Zimmerman presuming criminality based on Martin's race and targeting him because of it. I realize it's mostly a law enforcement thing-- though to be fair, Zimmerman was a law enforcement wannabe.

16. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Please, someone would have to care enough to bother ensuring your name is spelled accurately to care.

Most, if not all of us, do not

17. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    AND ARAWN

ARAWN SO FAR AWAY

18. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    Well, one of the arrested suspects is for all intents and purposes a cornfed white guy.
    [​IMG]

19. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    it was probably the white guy that hates white people. he's probably a hipster being ironic. the whole murder was probably ironic

we stand now at the calm before the storm. the hipster crime epidemic is coming

20. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    We now know Rogue Ten's future

21. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    So you only arbitrarily dislike 2 of the 3 then?

Reveen likes this.
  22. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002

ive only warned you about the hipster crime epidemic ironically

Ender Sai likes this.
  23. Jedi_Reject_Jesse

Jedi_Reject_Jesse Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 26, 2004
    wish they'd put the white guys face first in that photo so it would be a color gradient.

Darth Guy likes this.
  24. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    It's like the character creation screen of a videogame!

25. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    That white looking dude is half black which makes him black during a crime scene or when running for president.