main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit STAR TOURS canon, retcons official Blog entry!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CeiranHarmony, Aug 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    Jeff_Ferguson and LelalMekha like this.
  2. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    "Earth system."

3. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    yeah that one was not brilliant.. the rest though is. Death Star 3 reporting for duty!

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    No. It is not brilliant. It is terrible, awful, and argh.

STOP IT. STOP TRYING TO MAKE EVERYTHING CANON. A RIDE CAN BE A RIDE. JUST STOP. :mad: x a lot

5. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    Great retcon.

Esg, Grey1, JoinTheSchwarz and 4 others like this.
  6. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    u mad bro?

7. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    don't worry, if it were a Tie-Shuttle piloted by a mouse droid he'd love it ;)

8. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I love the ride already, it just doesn't need to be canon. :p

9. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Yes. Yes, yes, yes, a hundred times yes. Wonderful. The SW blog has been the single greatest EU licensee these past few months.

Leland acknowledged the Death Star III (and consequently Star Tours as canon eight years ago, but damn, man, this is still amazing.

OK, time to read the article. Yeah, that's right, I knew it was amazing before I even read it.

Edit: Amazing. There were some pretty obsure references in there, such as this un-captioned picture from Gamer mag:

[​IMG]

LelalMekha will be very pleased. He first described the events of that image on the Wook last summer, and I can't help but wonder if McFadden would have otherwise missed it.

CeiranHarmony likes this.
  10. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    You know, people reading a lot into a question mark is why a lot of nonsense gets posted on Wookieepedia and accepted as canon even if it isn't necessarily so.

11. Jeff_Ferguson

May 15, 2006
    I always figured the question mark was due to the conjectural name that he gave the space station. Since Leland's blog posts were all about sharing what was in the holocron, I doubt he would have included the third Death Star if he didn't consider it to be canonical. Edit: And included a date for it to boot.

Besides which, references to Star Tours have shown up all over the EU over the years, so blog post aside, it was s-canon at the very least. And now, with this blog post, there's no doubt of its canonicity at all.

12. JMM

JMM Author: The Forgotten War, SW Fact File star 3 VIP

Jul 9, 1998
    Glad you liked it! I made sure I scrounged up every Star Tours reference I could find.

That "Earth system" was already out there. Just being thorough. But to me, I always thought it was more fun including every story as best you can in the continuity. Besides, isn't Star Tours more fun when it's YOU taking part in the "real" Star Wars universe? BUT, if you want to get technical, it doesn't literally say, "This is canon," right? :)

For this article, I wasn't allowed too much in the way of original material, but it was an opportunity to more officially nail down the timeline. Leland's dating of the Death Star III was definitely ambiguous, but it did match up with an old Gamer article that placed things a few months after Endor. I always figured Leland took a stab at making that date more specific. It was also gave me a reasonable excuse to mention the Tof invasion from my Hyperspace article! :)

I actually did remember that image on my own as I really have been planning this article in my head long before I got to write it. But LelalMekha is one of the Wookieepedians who keeps on top of Star Tours stuff. And I admit you will find my fingerprints all over the Star Tours articles on that site.

All that aside, it was a fun article to write, and I hope I'm able to do more like it!

13. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Uh, again, I think you're being way too overzealous and letting what you want to be true masquerade for what is true. Blog entries aren't inherently canon just because they're referring to in-universe events. (see also: the above post).

Starspeeder 3000s are canon, sure, and they've been referred to as far back as TTT. I don't even have any problem with the ride set up being canon. It's the specific events that I have a problem with, and I think they should be treated the same way as SWG or varying approaches to a video game. The notion of a Separatist attack on an Imperial Center defended with outdated relics is too stupid to allow, sorry!

No, it doesn't. My annoyance is more with the folks here that want everything possible to be canon. I can at least understand it in part: referencing and tying together as many things as possible. What I can't understand is allowing enjoyment of that game to get irresponsible: to make things canon that cause more continuity problems than they solve, all in the name of referencing every last thing.

I would have a lot less annoyance with The Force Unleashed project if it weren't canon. But it's a huge multimedia blitz like SotE, so that dream is never, ever going to happen. Star Tours (particularly the remake) is an isolated thing, and so clearly problematic that it should just be left alone.

It's a fun ride. And I understand writing the article must've been fun too -- it was an enjoyable read as well, and I would certainly welcome future SW blog entries by folks along those lines. But it doesn't need to be canon to be fun.

(edit: Also -- sorry for calling it "terrible, awful, and ugh." I was referring to the notion that the ride ought to be canon, rather than the quality of your work.)

Dr. Steve Brule and Zeta1127 like this.
  14. JMM

Jul 9, 1998
    I would say I agree that you can't really make much sense of some of the random scenes in the new ride. Really? Another, earlier Battle of Hoth with AT-ATs and snowspeeders? In my mind those various scenes pretty much can be looked at like various video game outcomes like you suggest. That's why it works best in the vague way I described it. Even given more independence in this article, I don't think I would have canonized any specific scenes. Whatever you experience on the ride is what happened. The same reason not to give any details about the Rebel spy. The Rebel spy is whoever it was they randomly chose when you were on the ride!

And don't worry about it! I got what you were saying. But I suspect you also may have not expected the author to pop up and reply. ;)

15. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Jello, I have an ETE assignment for you: "the case against completism, as demonstrated by Star Tours".

Grey1 and darklordoftech like this.
  16. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000

....sure, I can do that. Somehow I keep forgetting that I can write about things I have strong opinions on. :p

jSarek, Zeta1127 and CooperTFN like this.
  17. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Prioritize this over your current assignment, "Star Wars Insider #113: Meh".

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  18. Jeff_Ferguson

May 15, 2006
    Of course blog entries aren't inherently canon --- but whenever Leland wrote one, he was, as I said, reporting on what was in the holocron. There's literally no higher authority on what's c-canon than that. You have our situations reversed --- you're trying to deny what's canon because you don't want it to be true. But with this new blog entry by JMM, it's really a moot point anyway. Star Tours is canon.

Ah, brilliant. I didn't realize that "James McFadden" was JMM; otherwise I wouldn't have doubted your ability to dig up obscure references. :D

Yeah, you did brilliantly by not mentioning any specific scenes."Once all on board agreed, Artoo flew the ship to the coordinates, where the spaceliner was attacked by enemy vessels. The brave astromech evaded the pursuers, and brought the StarSpeeder in for a safe, if somewhat rough, landing." Vague enough that people can keep their sanity by imagining that the more logical planets are the ones where they actually stopped. I would have been happy even with the silly ones, though. I'm 100% aboard team "Make all of the old wacky stuff canon." If the Ewoks cartoon can be real, why not Star Tours?

Edit:

Ah, I just saw this part of the post. Per what JMM said, specific things like a Separatist attack on Imperial Center aren't necessarily canon, so I guess we're not really in disagreement, then. But I do love that the third Death Star is canon. Why the heck not? [face_peace] Now we just need to know the name of the pilot who destroyed it.

19. JMM

Jul 9, 1998
    I have a number of ideas about the true origins of whatever that Death Star really is, but since I couldn't reveal that,it was left vague. So, the exact nature of that space station remains unknown.

Oh, and I did have a short list of candidates for Red Leader, but he also remains unknown. But I would like to think that's just "for now."

20. Jeff_Ferguson

May 15, 2006
    Any chance you could share those origins and that shortlist? Fodder for various "Behind the scenes" sections on the Wook? [face_batting]

21. JMM

Jul 9, 1998
    Oh, and speaking of things controversially canon? My friends Rich and Abel have just bumped my article from the top of the page with some obscure video game canonizing. I'm not even so sure I agree with this one... :)

22. Carlos Muñoz

Carlos Muñoz Jedi Youngling

Jul 14, 2013
    wow... the blog is busy today !

23. JMM

Jul 9, 1998
    Sorry. There's always a chance another opportunity to use that stuff could come. I'll keep it to myself for now. :)

24. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    I'm particularly happy since my edits on those two Sanyassans won't be called "original research" and "speculation" anymore. :p

25. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    Didn't you guys get the memo?

This is the first official entry into the new level of continuity ... Cranon*

*(Portmanteau of Crap and Canon).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.