main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books KENOBI by John Jackson Miller: The Official Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Havac , Aug 22, 2013.

1. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    [​IMG]
    Kenobi
    by John Jackson Miller
    Tatooine—a harsh desert world where farmers toil in the heat of two suns while trying to protect themselves and their loved ones from the marauding Tusken Raiders. A backwater planet on the edge of civilized space. And an unlikely place to find a Jedi Master in hiding, or an orphaned infant boy on whose tiny shoulders rests the future of a galaxy.
    Known to locals only as “Ben,” the bearded and robed offworlder is an enigmatic stranger who keeps to himself, shares nothing of his past, and goes to great pains to remain an outsider. But as tensions escalate between the farmers and a tribe of Sand People led by a ruthless war chief, Ben finds himself drawn into the fight, endangering the very mission that brought him to Tatooine.
    Ben—Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi, hero of the Clone Wars, traitor to the Empire, and protector of the galaxy’s last hope—can no more turn his back on evil than he can reject his Jedi training. And when blood is unjustly spilled, innocent lives threatened, and a ruthless opponent unmasked, Ben has no choice but to call on the wisdom of the Jedi—and the formidable power of the Force—in his never-ending fight for justice.
    August 27, 2013​
    Hardcover​

2. TheRedBlade

TheRedBlade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2007
    The mini-excerpts from this book on the Facebook page have been in first person, and that makes me squeal like a little girl.

3. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Please let this book be as awesome as the early reviews have indicated. I have very high expectations, based on the excerpts and previews and considering its John Jackson Miller and its been a while since he's written anything Star Wars, and considering how good the Knight Errant novel is, it should turn out very good. Sorry to ramble, just very excited. This is probably my most anticipated Star Wars novel in quite a while, can't wait for Tuesday, going to buy the hardcover definitely.

4. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    So excited for this!

5. Shadow Trooper

Shadow Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jul 18, 2013
    I'm going to wait and see how everybody here judges this book before I go out and buy it, as I trust people here more than the reviewers.

6. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    My Copy just got shipped :D Should have it Monday or Tuesday.

7. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
  8. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Pre-ordered at a bargain price, could easily end up being my last SW EU book buy given the way things are looking.

Still, if that proves to be so, hopefully the habit'll go out on a high note!

kataja likes this.
  9. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    I decided to preorder the book. I'm excited to see JJM's take on Kenobi.

10. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Go buy it.

Right now.

I mean it.

Look, there aren't a lot of books I'd consider pantheon-level Star Wars books. The Revenge of the Sith novelization. Yoda: Dark Rendezvous. Solo Command. Darth Plagueis. The Han Solo Adventures. That's probably my entire list. Even the other books I love (Mindor, Shatterpoint, the rest of the X-Wing/Wraith novels, Thrawn Trilogy, Dark Empire, Courtship, etc.) are obviously a rung (or two) below those others.

This book will probably bump one of those five out.

11. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I don't do hardcover, so I'm gonna wait for the paperback. I might get the ebook, though, once I get through the about 10 books on my backlog.

12. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I'd have to agree with this list entirely. Especially Solo Command. And Dark Rendezvous. And the ROTS novelization. You know what? All of them.

13. Shadow Trooper

Shadow Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jul 18, 2013
    You sir, have excellent taste. I think I might go out and download the E-book now.

14. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, like I said in the other thread -- I finished Kenobi in 24 hrs. I haven't done that with an EU book in, well, a long time. Usually even with the better ones, I try to draw them out to prolong it. Yet despite having no particular reason to finish it so quickly (not like folks are talking about it yet), I still did. That says a lot.

...and I really ought to read the Han Solo books one day. I don't even know why I haven't, I own them. :p

TheRedBlade likes this.
  15. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    READ THEM YOU FOOL.

16. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I hate everyone who's read this book already.

tjace and Force Smuggler like this.
  17. Darth Ridiculis

Darth Ridiculis Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 15, 2013
    I somehow got my copy through my Bookstore a week early. I'd ordered it from them thinking it would come in on the release date but it arrived Tuesday and picked it up yesterday. I finished it tonight. It was awesome.

18. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    There are so many novels I want and need to read, its downright ridiculous, Splinter of the Mind's Eye, HSA, LCA, the six Clone Wars novels (especially Shatterpoint and Yoda Dark Rendezvous), Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor, Cloak of Deception, Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter and Saboteur, Darth Plagueis, Scourge, X-wing: Mercy Kill, Scoundrels, and of course, Kenobi.

19. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Dead to me.

TheRedBlade and s65horsey like this.
  20. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    I'm shocked to find I've read books that GrandAdmiralJello has not. You should really read the Han Solo books - some of the best of the EU, IMO.

I'm looking forward to Kenobi, since all who've read it are so positive about it.

Incidentally Jello, didn't you also have Leia's new novel with you on your recent trip? Did you like it?

21. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    I pre-ordered the novel, which I haven't done for SWEU in a long time, let alone hardcover. I have high, yet healthy expectations.

22. Darth Ridiculis

Darth Ridiculis Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 15, 2013
    Anyone else have horrible flashbacks of Jar Jar ranting about little orphan "Ani" while reading this book?

23. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Just put my Amazon UK pre-order in. Also ordered the Agent of the Empire tpb vol 2.

24. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    How did so many people get this before the release date? Is it because of the Amazon Vine program, or bookstores breaking street date?

25. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I don't think I read them as a kid because I. the Empire wasn't in them and II. they were probably the sort of novels I'd only enjoy as an adult. Case in point: when I first read the X-wing books, I was boerd by all the dialogue and only read the fighting. While re-reading them, I'm bored by all the fighting and can't wait for more of the dialogue scenes.

I do have Razor's Edge but I have yet to read it. I got distracted by a bunch of neat non-fiction books about Roman literary culture :p