main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Why I shall be spoiled...

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by LottDodd, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Jedi Comedian

Jedi Comedian Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2012
    This where I sit. I don't see it as a hard dichotomy between "I cannot know a single piece of information about this film" and "I must read everything and know everything before I see it", which is how the boards now seem to be split.

Going by Dranem's system, I'm also happy to look and Mild and Medium spoilers, but I want to stay the hell away from OH MY GOD WHY DID I LOOK AT THAT. The latter category for me includes any big reveals - I was annoyed that I found out about the major one from Iron Man 3 before actually seeing the film.

DaddlerTheDalek and WatTamborWoo like this.
  2. Sith-Mullet

Sith-Mullet Jedi Master star 3

Aug 2, 2003
    I want to know more. I don't know what to expect but I am sure that I will be happy if not surprised.

3. LottDodd

LottDodd Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2002
    It would be impossible to remain unspoiled (for me). Although I had already heard these rumours, because I scour the net for them, today on Facebook some wannabee start-up news organization (dodle) speculated on the return of Palpatine and Obi-wan in their headline "Star Wars Episode VII Rumours: Obi Wan and Emperor to return?" Then halfway through the article had the nerve to post "If you don't like SPOILERS don't read the next sentence..." At which point it just reiterated what the headline had already spoiled for the uninitiated. If I was foolishly trying to remain spoiler free, and yet still navigate modern society, I would have been extremely upset by this slip.

4. GoJohnnyGo

GoJohnnyGo Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 19, 2012
    I would love to show up the day of the moving knowing nothing, but that is simply impossible... Imagine showing up and not knowing the big 3 were in there, or who was directing, or who was scoring, who the other actors will be, etc...

And we crave more info and will get more...

If they could somehow keep the general plot or characters secret, that would be good, but not likley

5. Blue_Jedi33

Blue_Jedi33 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 12, 2003
    Part of the fun of SW movies is the lead up spoilers including coming here.
    I didn't mind knowing in advance that Dooku and Yoda were going duel it out in AOTC.
    But knowing about it, and seeing it are 2 different things.
    And really some things are only found out at the pre-screenings anyways, so beyond the trailers you only find out so much.

6. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    I am not going to purposely hunt plot spoilers but I could not imagine not seeing the trailers, they are part of the mythology for me. I would be too nervous going into this new era blind... Disney/JJ/hands off Lucas etc... if they change the style too much I will need to know in advance to prepare myself for the shock... i hope the trailers late on in the promotion phase are not too detailed!

7. JediKnightOB1

JediKnightOB1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 26, 2003
    I left some food on the counter the other day it was... spoiled!!! [face_cow]

jaqen likes this.
  8. The_Coon

The_Coon Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 11, 2013
    ive never cared about spoilers anyway but ive known jjs strategies since alias (it was a very clever spy show wiyh jennifer garner) and he dosent spoil a lot i would enjoy any spoilers while they last if i were u

9. JediGirl_Angelina

JediGirl_Angelina Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 12, 2003
    I was completely spoiler free for Ep1 and Ep2, and I was mesmerised in the theatre. But all the speculations and behind-the-scenes material of Ep3 were so much fun, I really had a blast. So I'm up for some semi-spoilers, not "I am your father" type of major spoilers, but some fine stuff. :)

DaddlerTheDalek likes this.
  10. DarthScubbles

DarthScubbles Jedi Master star 4

Sep 15, 2004
    I am so torn. I was spoiler free for TPM and AOTC, but was "all in" from the day I saw AOTC through ROTS release. It was a wild and crazy time.

Being spoiled for ROTS definitely took away from the movie its self and left me feeling unfulfilled after I saw it, because i had seen it all or read it all before seeing it. But the thrill of the chase for those years before its release was exhilarating. Every bit of information that we got... Every photo that was leaked... The book spoilers...

I look forward to it all again.

Although I am afraid of what it will do after this new trilogy is all over. Will I have fatigue again? I put so much into the chase that by 2006 I was spent. I could not find anything that interested me to post anymore. I retired from the boards.

Carbon1985 likes this.
  11. poundpuppy29

poundpuppy29 Jedi Master star 1

Jul 3, 2007
    spoilers don't ruin it for me at all

TX-20 likes this.
  12. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I don't actually intend to be spoiled at all - I'm in this forum now because there haven't been any spoilers yet, and I don't expect them for a while. Once things actually begin to happen, I'm out of here.

jaqen and Carbon1985 like this.
  13. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    Why I shall be spoiled?

Because Mater and Pater are ludicrously rich, and if I want it I shall scream and stomp and cry until I get it.

jaqen, Arawn_Fenn, -Jedi Joe- and 2 others like this.
  14. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Because my experience of a good movie is not affected by how much I know about it. Otherwise, I'd only enjoy it once. As for a bad movie, knowing more about it can only help to curb my expectations. In the mean time, part of the fun of these movies is all the speculation that arises from each snippet of information.

eht13 and -Jedi Joe- like this.
  15. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    That is a wise balance, sir. A very wise balance, indeed.

16. LottDodd

Oct 4, 2002
    Once again, my decision to be spoiled proved to be the correct one....

Without so much as a potential *SPOILER ALERT* the main page here at theforce.net goes and posts the rumor of Yoda's Ghost returning as a headline. Whether this pans out as true or not is not the point. If I were trying to remain spoiler free, already a potential surprise ruined.

It is a fool's game to try and remain spoiler free... and will only lead to madness and heartache.

kubricklynch and Force Smuggler like this.
  17. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Yoda, back. I know everything

18. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    The truth is that I just can't avoid the temptation of spoilers, however there is a more practical reason for being spoiled as well. As I said in another thread, I have my own ideas about what should happen in the ST and the more I know beforehand the longer I have to adjust my hopes accordingly and the less baggage I will bring with me into the theater on December 18.

19. Darth Horn Rollo

Darth Horn Rollo Jedi Master star 1

Nov 2, 2012
    I'll be spoiled, mainly because it's a lot of fun. I was spoiled for AOTC and ROTS via this board and it was awesome. It didn't detract from my enjoyment at all. In fact, I think it added to it because I had thought so much about the plot and the ideas behind what was happening, especially for ROTS. And you can't spoil the entire experience - the look of the movie, the sounds, the little cues and echoes (like the scream of a TIE fighter at the end of ROTS or the mirroring of the rescue of the chancellor with ROTJ's Emperor/Vader/Luke scenes). Also, I really enjoy the really crazy theories and watching them crumble to dust right before my eyes. Two examples from ROTS: "The Emperor is a clone!" was the biggest one and then, a relatively minor thing, somebody had a pic showing Sidious with a "light scimitar". Good times...more to come...

Mystery Roach likes this.
  20. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    i'm undecided.
    i was completely spoiled for ep 3. i enjoyed the 2-3 years of slow spoilage immensely but i wondered how that affected my viewing of the actual film.
    is some of the magic of the first viewing lost? i think it is. i guess we'll have to wait and see what happens.

21. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

This is me exactly. I'll probably not even post much, if at all, in the 7NSA as I'm sure even spoilers pop in there unintentionally. Now is just rumor and conjecture, which I'm totally fine with. But real, concrete, spoilers? No. It's actually extremely hard for me to wrap my mind around the idea that people could walk into a film totally spoiled and still enjoy it as much as they would unspoiled. I mean my best friend unintentionally spoiled a crucial moment from the Breaking Bad series finale on facebook. I haven't seen a single episode of that show, but was so looking forward to it. The spoiler just completely zapped out my desire to watch it. I'll probably get around to it eventually, based solely off how incredible people I trust say it is, but the thrill is all gone.

Not really. It only seems that way when you try and express your fandom online. People who just wait for the film to drop, show up, and move on don't have any trouble staying mostly spoiler free. It's a given. They don't even think about it the way somebody on a board like this does.

TKT likes this.
  22. LottDodd

Oct 4, 2002
    My favorite part about the spoiler forum right now is the utter conviction people have on subjects we have only the very vaguest of information right now.

The prequels were a mystery, but we had some basic idea where we were heading.... right now everything is up in the air, and anything could happen.

This has led to an Era of High Lunacy in the Episode VII: Spoilers Allowed forum.

I wouldn't miss watching my fellow nerds going off the deep end for anything.

23. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Everyone will die in this one.

24. Bran Kenobi

Bran Kenobi Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 1, 2012
    Forgive me, My Masters if this is a cloned thread. I'm unaware of it.

It's a simple question: Why do you read Spoilers? What is your history when it comes to SW spoilers? Did you always have to know everything or are you doing things differently this time?

For me when the prequels came out starting with TPM, I just automatically read everything I could find. Same thing for AOTC. I think ROTS was the one where I didn't spend as much time looking for spoilers, but I still knew a lot. For me, it doesn't ruin the experience to know what to expect in advance.

Recently in an interview Oscar Isaac said the following:
    "I don’t know why people are so obsessed with finding out stuff before the movie comes out. It’s so much more fun to just go. I mean, I don’t do that. I don’t go looking for stuff that I’m interested in, you know, to try and find out pictures and what the movie’s about. It’s so much more fun to be surprised."

I think in part we fans that want to know it all keep the hype for SW alive. I mean without us, it would be a boring wait IMO. Overall I think knowing where to put my expectations helped me enjoy the prequels more than a lot of other fans. Also I got to have the fun of all the insane rumors that come along with the real stuff. I'm not signing up for the 7NSA anytime soon. ;)

25. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Maintaining Imperial order.

[​IMG]

TX-20, Rabs, Mange and 10 others like this.