main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

BTS DH Comics to release 'The Star Wars' in September

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Darth_Nub, Apr 5, 2013.

1. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    Darth_Nub Thanks for posting those images! Oh my sweet lord I can't wait for this.

I truly hope this does well enough to motivate DH to continue the story beyond this first installment.

2. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Oh, they will.

Son of a Bith likes this.
  3. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    For a while now it seems like the Dark Horse SW comics have gone for a slightly comics-retro feel. I like it.

swcolts1277 and DarthBoba like this.
  4. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Yeah, IIRC it started during their Clone Wars run and never really stopped.

5. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Some more new imagery:

Annikin Starkiller & a Sith Lord:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Clieg Whitsun and Bail Antilles discuss a trade embargo, then Antilles is arrested:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kane Starkiller fights a Sith Knight (not Valorum - guessing this is from the opening scene):

[​IMG]

Pretty sure this is Darth Vader and Emperor Cos Da****:
    (EDIT: From seeing some newer images, I think the man on the right is Crispin Hoedaack, Governor of the Aquilaean Systems, not the Emperor - I sort of assumed he was the Emperor based on his similarity to Ian McDiarmid)

[​IMG]

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=46638

6. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Interesting how everyone's blades are red.

One interesting thing is that this will make it very easy to cross-reference Legacy and the older story treatments/scripts; they borrowed a lot from the story treatments for Legacy-"Jedi" bodyguards for the Emperor, for one thing, and the whole notion of a kinder, gentler Empire to begin with.

Vthuil and darklordoftech like this.
  7. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    That's what I was about to say! Take that Saber color-coders!

JediFan215 and Aegon Starcaster like this.
  8. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    A minor dissapointment. I don't recall any mention to saber colors on the original script, but I was expecting at least red & blue (or silver from the Ralph's concept art).

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  9. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    When does this come out? I just started reading DC Comics and so I am really excited about a Star Wars one, especially with this particular story!

10. Darth_Nub

Apr 26, 2009
    According to the Dark Horse official site, issue #1 is out on September 4.

11. ATMachine

ATMachine Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2007
    Actually, red sabers for everyone is accurate to the original first draft script--Annikin's blade is explicitly described as red, and no other lightsaber color is ever mentioned.

In a similar vein, the Marvel Comics adaptation of ANH (the original, not the totally redrawn version from 1997) gave everyone red lightsabers, so Obi-Wan and Vader faced off with red on red.

darklordoftech likes this.
  12. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    The first draft or the rough draft? Either way, I don't recall that.

13. Darth_Nub

Apr 26, 2009
    Both (they're the same, just with different names):

Rough Draft
    First Draft
    The colour of the 'lazerswords' isn't mentioned again, so I think it's fair to assume that they're all red.

I didn't realise this either, BTW - like you, I only ever recalled the silver ones from the McQuarrie artwork.

14. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Yeah, that makes it more acceptable to me. I guess I need to read the draft again to catch all the small details. Maybe Valorum's mask won't seem as medieval to me as it does now...

15. Darth_Nub

Apr 26, 2009
    SlashMan and KissMeImARebel like this.
  16. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I like Kane's Toshiro Mifune vibe. But I'm not feeling Lucas!General Skywalker. [face_not_talking]

VanishingReality likes this.
  17. Darth_Nub

Apr 26, 2009
  18. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Only just noticed that now.

Cute, DH, very cute.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  19. Darth_Nub

Apr 26, 2009
    Well, issue #1 is out - finally read it last night. Very clever stuff. There's one image which really stuck with me that I thought was a brilliant connection between one character in the First Draft and another in the finished film, but I don't want to spoil anything (like I haven't already with all the advance pics).

My only real criticism is that they seem to be making 'Darth Vader' a bit too badass, at least visually, in order to connect him with the finished character bearing the same name, when he isn't really the same character at all, not even an early incarnation. When you read the draft, you picture a combination of Tarkin, Piett and Jerjerrod - this guy looks more like the way I pictured Grand Admiral Thrawn (sans blue skin, of course, although oddly enough, one frame actually has his eyes glowing red, due to the light!).

As I mentioned in an earlier post, the comic also has him in an outfit described in the actual draft as being worn by Prince Valorum ("the fascist black and chrome uniform of the legendary Sith One Hundred"), and it's virtually identical to Vader's one in the film - he almost looks like Darth Vader might have, had he never been defeated by Obi-Wan Kenobi in the volcano duel.

20. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Turns out the masked Sith isn't Valorum after all.

21. Darth_Nub

Apr 26, 2009
    I'm pretty sure the one featured on the various covers is, though. Valorum doesn't appear in issue #1.

22. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    This guy? He is the one at Utapau.

23. Darth_Nub

Apr 26, 2009
    That picture is definitely the one at Utapau (quite right, and I've modified my post above), but the Sith Lord on the comic cover (standing in for where Vader is on the film poster) would have to be Valorum, as all the other characters are accounted for. They look virtually identical.

24. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    Got myself a copy! Hells yeah!

25. Darth_Nub

Apr 26, 2009
    Just read Issue #2. It's got a couple of the more controversial scenes that tend to get mentioned - Annikin caught having some hanky-panky with an aide in the war room, and later, knocking out Leia with a swift belt in the chops. They're certainly staying faithful to the draft.

This issue also introduces the droids - it's really, really odd being able to understand what Artwo is saying. They both come across as a fair bit goofier, and Artwo isn't quite as smart. Works better in the final film, although I'm still looking forward to seeing more of them.

So, two issues in, I'm already giving this series a massive thumbs up. It gives a much better impression of how SW could have turned out than just reading the script. Next issue is touted as 'Rise of the Sith!', so we should be meeting Valorum.

Aegon Starcaster likes this.