main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Major League Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Reynar_Tedros, Nov 16, 2006.

1. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Big Papi, Mannyland...

yankee8255 and Point Given like this.
  2. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    They also forget they were ready to pay a-rod all those bucks too.

3. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000
    Yeah, I know. It's ridiculous. I don't know why we barely ever retaliate. Sadly, (because I hate giving this guy any credit either), Clemens was probably the best at doing that. Mussina was the worst.

I was actually surprised CC didn't throw at anyone. But I guess we won the game, and that's more important. And maybe by NOT throwing at anyone, CC was able to keep the Bosox batters on edge waiting for it, and it might've given him a slight advantage.

4. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    A shocking event occurred in Philadelphia yesterday... the Dodgers lost a game! :eek:

:p

5. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Only the Red Sox could manage to get me to cheer for A-Rod.

heels1785 , yankee8255 and Jedi_Tyler like this.
  6. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    As a non-fan I found this incident to be surprising and amusing. MLB is a soap opera indeed.

7. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Though over hyped in many respects in the 2000's, the Yankees/Red Sox feud does make for fascinating theater. We're coming up on the 10th anniversary of one their better pieces of drama, which is one of my favorite all time baseball moments:

Specifically at the 1:10 mark.

Yanksfan likes this.
  8. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Saw this on Deadspin, had to share.

[​IMG]

Yanksfan, DarthTunick and dp4m like this.
  9. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Josh Friedman@Friedo790
    1h
    Yasiel Puig was in the visitors clubhouse here at #Marlins Park & looked at us gathered there and yelled, "**** the media" and left the room

:p

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/story/_/id/9541646/uni-watch-power-rankings-rates-mlb-uniforms-1-30]Uni[/url] Watch: Ranking all of MLB's uni's

In my humble opinion, the Cubs are ranked too high... that hideous blue circle & the little 'R' under the word 'Cubs' aren't pleasing to look at. And speaking of unpleasant sights on a uni:

[​IMG].

Not picking specifically on the Rays here, as many teams have that line around the neck, which then goes down the front of the uni. Pinstripes are one thing, as they fill the entirety of the shirt, but that line thing to just too damn random. The Bums suffer from a similar random issue, on their road uni's (the pants):

[​IMG].

The blue line you see down Kershaw's leg there... just what the hell is the point of that? It's just there for no reason! It drives me bonkers. :p

DMC Edit: Star out the whole word.

10. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000
    Red Sox-Yankees rivalry is absolutely classic. That's why I can' ever *completely* hate them. Because if there were no Red Sox, what would be the fun in that?

11. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
  12. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    I like the orange brim matched with the alt blue jersey.

13. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    [​IMG]

Mired in a slump + showing up late to the ballpark yesterday (leading to a closed door meeting with Mattingly) + not being in the starting lineup= dramatics, especially since his home run in the 8th (that broke the 4-4 tie) came off the very first pitch he saw. Not a bad way (others helped of course) to win a ball game, wouldn't you say?

14. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Dempster got a 5 game suspension for plunking A-Rod.

15. Yoda_S

Yoda_S Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 11, 1999
    Jason Heyward's jaw was broken in two places after getting hit by a pitch in this afternoon's game. He's expected to miss 4-6 weeks.

16. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Damn, that sucks.

17. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
  18. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    DarthTunick likes this.
  19. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    I've been staring at that list for a couple of minutes trying to figure out which one is the most impressive. The obvious answer is Gibson, but given all the extenuating circumstances, I don't think he wins. My initial thought was Pedro because offense, especially AL offense was ridiculous in 2000. And I'm obviously partial to Gooden, he's the youngest by far on the list. But I think it's a tie between Maddux and Koufax. Koufax started 41 games, threw 323 innings. That's insane. Maddux, meanwhile, is on the list twice, over two straight seasons during a higher offensive era in a better hitter's park than Koufax. Both were strike-shortened seasons, but over the course of 53 starts, he posted a 1.60 ERA, threw 411 innings, had a WHIP of 0.853, and only gave up 12 home runs. That's kind of crazy.

Amazing.

heels1785 likes this.
  20. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Interesting points, B. I think I would go with Koufax, to keep that consistency over 41 starts is absolutely incredible. Maddux was a childhood hero of mine, as I'm sure he was for many, so I knew he had to be on the list- but Koufax almost had double Nolan Ryan's starts in his best ERA year, and he was only .04 higher. To steal your phrase...amazing.

21. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    koufax had an amazing year obviously, but i have no idea how you give him the nod over gibson when they were both pitching in the same league in the same era and gibson's earned run average was more than half a run better. obviously it was a pitching dominated era, but both players benefited from that. maybe i'm not familiar enough with whatever other "extenuating circumstances" were involved. oh yeah, gibson threw over 300 innings too, tossing 28 complete games in his 34 starts. one more than koufax threw in '66.

22. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Objectively speaking, despite all of Koufax's greatness, I'd give the nod to Gibson. It's not just that 1.12 ERA, but the fact that it's .41 points (runs) ahead of Gooden's mark. That's incredibly remarkable.

23. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    In 1966, the Koufax season, NL teams averaged 4.09 runs per game. In 1968, Gibson's season, they averaged 3.43 runs per game. That's pretty much the difference in their ERAs. And just for fun, in 2000, Pedro's season, AL teams averaged 5.30 runs per game. Gibson's season was remarkable, certainly, but it was during a season of remarkable pitching performances.

Amazing.

24. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    It's a really convincing argument to say that Pedro's season, because of the rise in PED use/offense in the game, is more impressive, but these type of splitting hair debates are fun, because of the impressive merits of each pitcher's season.

It was a nice, tidy opener to the Red Sox/Dodger series last night:

[​IMG].

Lackey himself was almost as impressive, also lasting 8 innings while striking out 6, but of the 3 hits he allowed, one was a Hanley Ramirez 2-run home run. :D It only took 2 hours & 7 minutes for this game to be completed, the shortest Dodger game in 5 years. And last night was the only game of this series to feature Scully, as today's & tomorrow's television broadcasts are via FOX, and ESPN. Bummer.

25. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Delightful. Tampa beat us last night and should win the series, but if they can come out of the weekend with a lead on Boston, I'm fine with it. Not our year, so the next best thing is obstruction of the BoSox. Go Dodgers.