main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Grievous was an idiot here

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by darthbarracuda, Aug 13, 2013.

1. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    You're asking for "proof" of something which is speculation from a work of fiction? Really, brah? Really..??

Watching the movie it is clear that the Jedi are overmatched by sheer force of numbers and it is equally clear at the end that the remaining survivors were outnumbered, surrounded and being closed in upon. Had the gunship not arrived and had the droids continued firing, they all would have been killed. But, obviously, that would have made for a very boring Episode 3.

I swear, it's hilarious how people in here act like it would just KILL them to admit that Qui-Gon in E1 as well as Grievous in E3 behaved unwisely for the sake of increasing the dramatic tension of a movie. I actually prefer it that way, I think it would have been stupid for the writer to have all those Naboo Security Guards open fire because that would have made for a very boring climax.

2. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I never got the label of coward gor GG. Because Mace Windu says so? Because when two Jedi stopped his entire staff on the bridge he took off? Sun Tzu wrote a book. GG does what's in it.

3. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    ...Hold on. Just because we agree that the Jedi in the Arena were borked, doesn't mean Maul would've been killed by the Royal Guards. There were few enough guards and Maul was well trained enough that Maul likely would've killed them all. There's a vast difference between the number of relatively untrained few royal guards compared to a well-trained Sith Lord who wasn't tired at all, and the army of programmed-to-kill battle droids surrounding far fewer, already exhausted Jedi.

Jedi Merkurian and ILNP like this.
  4. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003

Am I supposed to respond to this? If so, please translate to adult speak.

5. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Last I checked this was a Grievous thread that you derailed with a Saga/Maul comment, five posts in...

I won't talk video games if you won't talk off topic.

;)

6. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    Yeah, I have proof. It's holed up in a vault in an undisclosed location. ;)
    Look, I'm not trying to 'what if' the scene here, but the saga is replete with moments where the protagonists are in a hair's width away from certain doom only to be spared by the miracle of storytelling narrative. This is just another example of that kind of moment. I could further it.... if Dooku hadn't made the battledroids cease fire to gloat at Windu, it would have been over. If the Gunships hadn't arrived, it would have been over. If Yoda hadn't shown up at the hangar to engage Dooku, it would have been over. If Disney hadn't bought LFL, it would have been over.... luv ur icon, btw.

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  7. Mr. K

Oct 23, 1999
    Back to GG... I remember how he was really built up prior to the release of ROTS. If I remember right, he was on the cover of the SW Insider issue immediately preceding the film's release. I thought he served his function in ROTS very well... his portrayal in TCW though perhaps not so much.

Again, if I remember correctly, there was a line in the novelization I really wish had been used in the film. GG says "You fool! I was trained in your Jedi arts by Count Dooku" to which Kenobi retorts something to the effect of "What a coincidence. I trained the man who killed Count Dooku". Good stuff.

8. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003

Haha. Fair enough, and thank you sir.

9. ThatsNoPloKoon

ThatsNoPloKoon Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 24, 2013
    Grievous was channeling his inner Bond villain.

Obi Wan was stupid there as well. I understand he needed to keep Grievous busy while the Clones arrived but was jumping right into the middle of hundreds of battle droids really the best option? I mean was Obi just hoping Grievous would be as stupid as he was and not tell the droids to kill him?

10. Beezer

Jul 5, 2013
    If you have something to add, now would be a good time. If all you have are personal attacks then please don't bother.

11. Beezer

Jul 5, 2013
    It's hardly derailing when someone criticizes Grievous for doing something, and I accurately point out another instance of a character doing virtually the same thing.

12. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    I wish that line had been in the movie. Shoot, I wish the entire novel had been the movie.

13. darthbarracuda

darthbarracuda Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 4, 2012

So he could do that but not stop a Jedi from jumping right over his head and cutting him in half? Even when the Jedi was hanging on the edge of an endless chasm?

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  14. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Maul's standoff at the door and the droid general's buffoonery aren't even remotely close.

Two answers.
    IU: Arrogant is as arrogant does.:p
    OOU: Check the sequence frame by frame... Maul's lightsaber mysteriously changes hands so Kenobi's swing can't be blocked.;)

darthbarracuda likes this.
  15. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    He says "trained in your Jedi arts by Count Dooku" in the movie- but Obi-Wan makes less of a response.

The corresponding scene in the book:

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  16. Mr. K

Oct 23, 1999
    I love it, I love it, I love it! I read the novelization before seeing the movie and it seemed to make the movie even better. ROTS probably has the best adaptation in print than any of the other episodes.

Jedi Merkurian and ILNP like this.
  17. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Seconded. Though personally I would say the RoTJ one comes close.

The others have interesting extra scenes, or good moments of seeing inside the heads of the characters- but those two have a certain lyrical quality- RoTS the most.

18. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Your showing the survivors when dozens of others were slaughtered. How long do you think they would have survived if Dooku had ordered the battle droids to fire on them?

19. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    We already had that conversation. :p

20. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    On the topic of Maul, the Queen's security force was not prepared for any situation like this; Naboo is a peaceful planet, which is why they didn't stand a chance against the battle droids (the planet's freedom revolved around Amidala's alternative plan). The reemergence of the Sith was something Palpatine had planned for a while, and I'm sure Maul was prepared for whatever response the Jedi would make to his appearance in the hangar. Qui-Gon just took the safest bet.

Whatever the reasoning, Grievous taking on Obi-Wan is simply overconfidence. Yeah, it's a flaw on his part, but in his mind, he thought he could beat Obi-Wan easily.

21. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    I loved that show as a child. What an apt description of Grievous.

The Hellhammer likes this.
  22. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    The way he laughs to himself after escaping his ship, in RoTS- certainly seemed a bit like your average cartoon villain.

23. MekaGojira3k

MekaGojira3k Jedi Knight

Aug 25, 2013
    I don't think, especially at the time of the film, he was ever a coward. He escapes the ship, but as many have pointed out there's a very Saturday Morning Cartoon Villain quality about Grievous. It's bizarre, thinking back, that the original Clone Wars show made him such a badass, only to have the film and The Clone Wars render him a buffoon. I think Grievous probably just felt like he was totally capable of taking out Kenobi. He was pretty clearly wrong.

24. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    A not-so-long, long time ago....

it was.

25. JA80

JA80 Jedi Youngling

Aug 29, 2013
    Sounds reasonable to me.