main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Episodic endings in a 9 part saga

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by StoneRiver, Aug 21, 2013.

?

The mood of the ending of EPVII will be.....

1. Happy

44 vote(s)
    45.4%
  2. Sad

4 vote(s)
    4.1%
  3. Foreboding

49 vote(s)
    50.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Yeah, I thought about that. It just seems like it would feel off somehow anyway, and of course everyone can see that Qui-Gon died and also that Yoda and Mace have an uneasy conversation about the Sith and there always being two of them.

Regarding testing it with new viewers, my son saw the OT first (not by design, it just happened that way) so it didn't really work to test TPM since he wasn't totally unspoiled. The movie ends on an upbeat note, though... that is true.

2. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I think E7 will end with a feeling of foreboding, or at least end on a pretty big hook to E8.

3. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013
    The more I think about it, I think a different twist would to be to end Episode 7 on a sad/foreboding note, like having Han Solo sacrifice himself for one of his kids or Leia (or something to that effect) at the end of the movie. How eerie would the ending be with Luke/Leia and the Skywalker kids all at the funeral of Han Solo while a new Sith Lord is building his army for the next big war.

kainee and Echo-07 like this.
  4. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    Palps gets voted Chancellor in TPM. By AotC, everything is proceeding according to his design.

That's what I call winning.

kainee, WatTamborWoo and eht13 like this.
  5. Momotaros

Momotaros Jedi Master star 4

Aug 13, 2013
    Yeah, that's why I leaned foreboding myself. Just have a feeling that one of the main 3 will die in one of the first two movies. If I had to guess who I say Han Solo. Since Ford wanted him dead in OT.

6. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004

Yeah, I do understand where you're coming from. But as you say, by AotC everything is proceeding according to his designs, not TPM. He may have been elected Chancellor in TPM but that is it. His apprentice was killed, The Trade Federation lost their blockade, and the first time viewer is not supposed to know that Plapy is Sids at that point, the first time viewer will see it as good news that the senator of Naboo has been elected Chancellor, he's a good guy on Padme's side ;)

We know too much :p

Do you at least see where I'm coming from even if we don't agree?

Immortiss and Seagoat like this.
  7. Mugwuffin

Mugwuffin Jedi Knight

Dec 3, 2012
    I imagine that Ep VII will end on a happy note for the heroes. But there will be an after credits... or post victory celebration scene that has a foreboding tone.

Paparazzo likes this.
  8. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
  9. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I think having an overall 'happy ending' whilst ending the movie knowing the story is 'to be continued' is not mutually exclusive. I think Ep VII will be an upbeat and self contained story, but they'll obviously be plot points that will be left unresolved for the next movie.

Immortiss likes this.
  10. Bullhead CIty

Bullhead CIty Jedi Master star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    Being that we're well on our way into the second decade of the 21st century, two generations away from the inception of the endless space opera concept, a place were dark cynical realism rules supreme in modern entertainment and villains are the true stars, I definitely see all these future films as being even more independent, stand alone features than their predecessors. Each will have these same elements, happy - sad- foreboding, laced throughout. As far as each ending goes... Each will have it's own resolution. More of a theme that connects the new films than the actual narrative. That's just my opinion.

11. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    Yeah, I disagree. I think we're going to see cliffhangers and somber endings for each episode here on out. I think Disney intends to fully realize the serial as GL envisioned it. A trilogy now becomes a story arc vesus an enclosed set of films. IE 10-12 will be the arc consisting of the new heroes that were set up in 7-9 without anymore vestiges of the BIG 3 and will start to go into broader stories.

12. Paparazzo

Paparazzo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 31, 2011
    post-credits scenes are my favourite things

13. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    NOT a Star Wars nuance though.

Bad_Feeling and The Hellhammer like this.
  14. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Yep, I think we'll see a more prominent connection between the episodes in ST. To tell you the truth, I wouldn't be surprised if they even decide to shoot VIII and IX back to back.
    And judging by the 15+ "35mm" thread we have here, I'm pretty sure this will freak the hell out of some people around here hahah.

Bullhead CIty likes this.
  15. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    I said it a long time ago -- back in November -- that Disney/LFL would perhaps film 8 & 9 back to back. In fact I started a thread about it. Not sure if it's still accessible.

Here:
    http://boards.theforce.net/threads/will-disney-shoot-the-st-simultaneously.50006603/

Bullhead CIty and The Hellhammer like this.
  16. WatTamborWoo

WatTamborWoo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 22, 2011
    It would freak me out! Ha-ha. But interestingly that is a possibility because the story will be pretty well set.

17. Bullhead CIty

Dec 1, 2012

In this age of viewing on-demand entertainment on multiple devices, IM's, Skype, social media, etc. where all is instant, a person can power through seasons of episodic TV shows over a weekend binge, the consumer market has changed since the serialized concept was resurrected by the "lucas" in the 1970's. As sacrilegious as it sounds to fellow SW fans, attention spans have seized the last 20 years. Three years is a LONG TIME TO WAIT between movies. It doesn't matter what film series it is. One of the things that negatively affected the last trilogy was the wait. Fans and critics waited so long for a product that did not live up to their own personal expectations. Most people's expectations being sky high for TPM and AOTC. If they were released in annual installments as the LOTR films, I don't think they would have been treated so harshly and picked apart. IMO, that was one of the biggest underlying issues with the PT. The extensive wait between single films. The fevered pitch of excitement lasted too long for many people's taste which lessened the climax in the form of movie delivery to audiences at large. LOL!!! Y'all know what I mean...

From a business standpoint, a critical standpoint, and a fan standpoint, I hope it is as Echo 7 earlier reported, that 8&9 are filmed simultaneously.

Immortiss and kainee like this.
  18. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    ^ You make some excellent points. Not to be too nit-picky though but the ST will be released every other year vs the 3 year cycle GL worked from. I think this will [help] alleviate the suspense between episodes. BUT no doubt attention span is definitely microscopic.

kainee, Sith-Mullet and Bullhead CIty like this.
  19. Bullhead CIty

Dec 1, 2012
    Oh yeah, definitely agreed.

20. Sith-Mullet

Sith-Mullet Jedi Master star 3

Aug 2, 2003
    Short attention spans... What was that again? ;)

21. JediKnightOB1

JediKnightOB1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 26, 2003
    I love Happy Endings!!!

22. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    :p

Who doesn't????

Sith-Mullet likes this.
  23. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I don't to hear that evil can never be destroyed unless that later turns out to be wrong.

24. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    Can't have the light without the dark.

25. TtheForceHurts

TtheForceHurts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2010
    Though I am still looking for a transcript or video of Arndt's lecture, I have read summaries of it and from all I have read and seen of Arndt, he seems to understand, how to make a perfect ending. I think we will have an ending along the lines of EPIV. The thing I worry least about concerning EPVII is the ending...
    And yes, as far as I understand, Arndt wrote the treatment for the whole ST.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.