main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    All right, smart alecs, what music do you listen to?

2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I listen to the music of the stars, the songs of the muses, and the gentle patter of naiads. I hear the birds chirping in their trees and the leaves whistling in the wind. I am soothed by the gentle waves crashing in muted majesty against the shores.

jSarek and Bib Fartuna like this.
  3. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007

Bib Fartuna likes this.
  4. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Jello: Well then, Neko Case has a fifteen minute song that is crickets chirping on Middle Cyclone.

instantdeath likes this.
  5. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    My musical taste is all over the place but I would say that it sits mostly on a spectrum that starts here:

Curves toward this:

And ends somewhere around this:

6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Heh. I mean, when I do listen to music -- and it's super rare, only on long car rides or something where reading isn't an option -- it's usually just boring stuff like movie soundtracks, game soundtracks, or instrumental pieces. I also have a lot of random detritus of music that people have given me over the years or music I've gotten for other people, so like I'll randomly have the GTA Vice City 80s style music in there, or some random Bon Jovi thing (whatever that is). I'm a data pack rat.

But if I had a gun to my head and had to pick a musical group thingie, I guess I would pick these guys:

7. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    Eine Kleine Nachtmusik is awesome, although, I would have to say that Beethoven's Symphony No. 9 in D Minor, Op. 125 Choral IV. Presto (Ode to Joy) is the greatest piece of music ever written, of all time.

8. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Best of? Lame. :p

9. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Ode to Joy is hard to beat, Mozart's Requiem is quite excellent but for lyrical genius Gilbert and Sullivan are fun.

10. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    Two of my favorite versions of Ode to Joy:

10,000 Japanese performing it:

And a Flash Mob version of it:

MercenaryAce likes this.
  11. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    You can't really beat John Reed and the D'Oyly Carte Company:

12. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    My musical taste is all over the spectrum from Enya to Eminem. My family has instructions to play either Long Long Journey or Without Me at my funeral.

krtmd likes this.
  13. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Without Me would make an excellent funeral dirge. *updateslastwillandtestament*

I can find something to love in all genres - most beloved would be punk, rock, hiphop and anything DC - except country.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  14. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 19, 2003
    Surf camp was packed with kooks today.

[​IMG]

GET OFFA MY WAVE, GOON!

15. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Not a fan of most Rap or Hip Hop, and very little country appeals to me. Classic rock and AC/DC are my high points.

16. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Softer rock and pop, both current and classic, is my preference, but generally stuff that isn't particularly popular, at least when it comes to modern pop, with Pink being the major exception to that. I honestly feel like I was born about a decade later than I should have been, because I love a lot of 80's pop and rock, such as Cyndi Lauper, Pat Benatar, U2, and Corey Hart. I grew up listening to country but I have largely quit listening to it in recent years.

AC/DC just isn't my style, I only know Thunderstruck because Hinder covered it, in such away that I can actually understand the lyrics.

17. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Heh.

***​

I bought Bioshock Infinite today, so the wait until GTAV is bearable.

18. AdmiralWesJanson

May 23, 2005
    Rolling Stones, Beatles, AC/DC, CCR, The Who, The Guess Who, Guns N Roses, Yoko Kanno, Daniel Ingram, John Williams, James Horner, Bear McCreary, Martin ODonnell

I can't wait to get Infinite, as Elizabeth is now one of my favorite VG characters, but I am waiting until they coume out with a "Gold, all DLC included" edition. I'm waiting for a Mass Effect Trilogy with all the DLC for PC as well, though I have the three games without DLC on X-Box.

Bib Fartuna likes this.
  19. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I'm about halfway through Infinite myself. I haven't played the other BioShock games, but I guess this one is a separate story from those. Great game, though. I even went to the panel for it at PAX East, so I know about some of the BTS stuff as well.

20. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    I love CCR and The Guess Who, well at least These Eyes thanks to my dad. I wouldn't be a Star Wars fan if I didn't love John Williams' music. I love Martin O'Donnell's music, especially in comparison to the new guy, Neal Davidge, and his eerie nonsense on some of the Halo 4 music. I could seriously go on and on about my favorite music, but I don't have time to do that at the moment.

21. AdmiralWesJanson

May 23, 2005
  22. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    How close a relationship do you have with your boss? If he or she is generally supportive, openly discuss it.

If not, you have surgery that day.

http://www.boiseweekly.com/boise/dont-listen-here/Content?oid=2662087

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  23. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    jSarek, that has got to be one of the most useless articles I have ever seen in my entire life. Of course, I freely admit I probably wouldn't be very likely to see Nickelback in concert, I don't like their hard, raunchy stuff, and I can't stand Chad Kroeger's foul mouth, but somehow he manages to come up with plenty of beautiful songs I love.

24. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    [​IMG]
    Oh, Havac and any other Seinfeld fans, you must see this Twitter account; as if Seinfeld was et in the modern day. It is hilarious.

RC-1991 and CooperTFN like this.
  25. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    Everything I've ever heard by them sounds so impossibly generic. It's like they take every song in the modern rock genre, stir them in a pot until they all meld together, boil them for a few more days until every trace of flavor is gone, then scoop this unappetizing pablum by the spoonful into things they call "songs."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.