main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends The End of All Light (Post-NJO AU: Anakin Solo, Jacen, Jaina, L/M, H/L, many more) Updated 11/29/14!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by YodaKenobi, Apr 16, 2010.

1. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    Another dark and awesome chapter! I'm on a rereading binge right now, thankfully I almost have the time for it, and I can't tell you how glad I am that you've resumed working on this and posting chapters...

2. darth_treyvah

darth_treyvah Jedi Master star 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Luke still thinks this is about simple vengeance against the Jedi. But after reading as much of this as I have, I believe that Malig has a much, much grander design. And I suspected he would use Sekot as a power source for his Reckoner and some of the captured Jedi as some kind of focusing lens for its power. I also have the feeling that Ben and Jacen, given their bloodlines, are integral in this as well. It is also horrifying to consider that Jacen seems to have turned an entire billions-old completely sentient planet to the dark side of the Force. I mean, what Sith Lord has ever done something of that scale before? Not even Palpatine or the Sith Emperor or Exar Kun committed an atrocity of that scope: though not through lack of trying.

But Tython ... oh dear Force ... that was the first place where the Light and Dark Sides of the Force were defined, and personified by the binary-mindsets of the early Force-sensitives that were transported there. It is a conceptual place of great power and significance. The place is a nexus of the Force itself: in the centre of the whole galaxy. Malig wants to use his Reckoner on that place--and only that place--and perhaps by extension all of reality itself. He has gone beyond Jedi and Sith morality. And we still don't know about what it is under that mask: and that is what I think this all centres around.

I am really glad to see this update, YobiKenobi. I have missed this fic considerably. And, as always, I look forward to seeing where you will bring us.

YodaKenobi and anakin_sal-solo like this.
  3. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    Slow but sure, the pieces are all coming together. :) Hopefully Luke can figure out what he's missing in Malig's diary. Somewhere in there is the key to why he picked Tython and why he's taken Sekot to the Deep Core. I don't think it's as simple as he wants the last fight between dark and light to be where the first one took place, or that he wants to end the Jedi in the same place they were born. Both great reasons, but I sense there is more to Malig's plans than that. It seems to small in scope for him. :) Very nice chapter indeed. :D

YodaKenobi likes this.
  4. Draconarius

Draconarius Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 2005
    Tython, huh? That makes sense. If you're looking for a Force nexus at the center of the galaxy, it's probably the best you can do. I agree with treyvah, though, in that this can't be about simple vengeance. Malig is much more of a Well-Intentioned Extremist than anything else. He probably really does believe that making the entire galaxy into Apollyon (if that is his real plan) is for the best. Though, knowing our author here, I don't think it's quite that simple.

As for Luke's plan... does he not realise that he has a rather large Imperial fleet on speed dial? Surely Thrawn would love the opportunity to put Malig down permanently. Or can the Hutts provide something for them to deal with Malig's fleet? Whatever it is the Hutts want, I don't think they're here to complain about wreckage from Halo ruining their podracing courses.

YodaKenobi likes this.
  5. Durroness

Durroness Jedi Grand Master star 1

Sep 4, 2002
    I haven't done a re-read, so the details are kind of fuzzy, but if I remember right, there were hints earlier in the story that Ben was the one Malig really wanted, and that Jacen was kind of just filling the spot for the time being. Maybe I remember that wrong, but if that's the case, I'm worried about little Ben. Seems to me like his special talent could be kind of useful, if Malig is planning to mess with the Force on a galaxy-wide scale. And it also seems like, if that's the case, Jacen is coming close to being expendable in Malig's eyes. Maybe I'm way off, but if Jacen figures that out, I can see a really nasty showdown when he realizes how hard he was played. Of course I also kind of think he might be far enough gone now where his sense of betrayal is kind of skewed, so I'm kind of thinking that even if he does turn on Malig fully, he's not going to be able to reconcile himself with Anakin and actually help the Jedi, because he almsot kind of believes his own lies these days... I don't know, I'm rambling now.

Anyways, I love the update. The Jedi are starting to put it all together, Wrev got to be his snarky self without having to say much, and now the Hutts might just be able to lend a slimy hand when the Jedi need it most.

YodaKenobi likes this.
  6. PhantomKnight88

PhantomKnight88 Jedi Knight

Dec 22, 2011
    So I was reading the last chapter and realized I barely remember what happened as its been forever since I've read this story. I went back to reread only to discover that most of the earlier chapters are missing. And the links for the earlier stories aren't working. Not sure if you can do anything about it just thought I'd point it out in case no one else has

7. PhantomKnight88

Dec 22, 2011
    Drat, I went to see if I could re-read the earlier stories and had the same issue. Must have something to do with the boards being redone

8. PhantomKnight88

Dec 22, 2011
    Ha don't mind me, just really need to learn to read all important notices before talking

9. Clone_Cmdr_Wedge

Clone_Cmdr_Wedge Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2006
    Would have responded earlier, but I was busy on Sat. and have been dealing with computer issues.

Not much I can really say, except that part of me had to chuckle, as it sounds like Luke and Company were reading a couple of my previous posts. :p

I will say, I am curious as to why Malig chose Revan's mask (other than to mask his identity, that is). Then there's that whole Tython thing. To be honest, I only remember hearing about it from TOR, so all I really knew was that it was a Jedi planet. I can also guess that it's safe to assume TOR does *not* factor into this story (for which I'm grateful, especially when it comes to Revan and The Exile...)

I was also wondering, just how close are we to the ending? It sounds like things are about to go into the final act. [face_thinking]

And before I go, I have been looking up about Crucible... yeah, I might share some thoughts via PM when I have a slightly clearer idea of what happened. o_O

YodaKenobi likes this.
  10. YodaKenobi

YodaKenobi Former TFN Books Staff star 6 VIP

May 27, 2003
    He's
    Namtar Osyris
    . See, no surprise [face_mischief]

Thanks so much, and thanks for reading and replying :D

Aw, thanks :D I'm glad you're enjoying it. I meant to post a little summary of the story so far before that post to help people remember, but I forgot to do it :p Maybe I can edit it in now.

Thanks again!

Yeah, I think this has been more or less confirmed in the Reckoner chapters and the Anakin torture chapter (believe that's where Malig officially stated he planned on using Jedi in those tanks on the Reckoner).

It's pretty terrible. Unfortnately for his family, the Solos are about to learn about a lot of terrible things Jacen has done soon.

You are probably right. When Luke thinks that he's missing some crucial piece of information that will make Malig's writings make sense, what he nees is probably under the mask [face_whistling]

Thanks, I've missed writing it as well. It feels good to get back into the swing of things, and I'm really excited about telling the end of this thing. It's my favorite part of the whole series.

Yeah, with Kyle and Jaina's information, Luke was able to assemble a lot of the picture. Seems like the Jedi have almost everything they need to know now.

The last page is going to be an eye-opener for him (500 Yobi Points™ to anyone who remembers the circumstances around Malig's last journal entry in LotD)

I think Malig has a real, substantial reason for doing what he's doing. I promise when we get to the end his motivations won't be "MORE POWAHHHH!!!!" or anything. The clues to his motivation are in Namtar's story—that's really what those flashbacks are all about. I'll leave it at that for now though.

Thanks so much, Jen, and thanks for reading and replying :D

It's an interesting choice, for sure [face_thinking]

It's not. If he wants to make the galaxy Apollyon, there is an actual reason for it beyond making the galaxy Apollyon. See the above red sentences.

Yeah, I can't imagine Luke is going to ignore that possibility. Then again, it's also possible Thrawn won't take the call any more :p More on that soon, though...

Well, the Jedi have had dealings with a Hutt named Cordoba throughout the series, so there could be some connection, though I'll go ahead an spoiler this thing and say that the Hutt approaching them is
    a new character named "Gorba."

Thanks for reading and replying :D

There have been some things that could let you interpret it that way, like the fact that Malig asked Vergere to save Mara's life, leading to the healthy birth of Ben. I think we've confirmed from his POV though that he had a vision of someone named "Solo" being the key that he told Jacen about back in Exodus.

If Jacen's only real function was to get Sekot to submit to the Raithians so they could use it as a power source for the Reckoner, then I think you're right, Jacen has already fulfilled his role. That seems to be what Malig said at the end of the Lands of the Dead when Jacen revealed Sekot's existence to him, that that was the reason they were meant to work together.

Not at all! I think you are really, really going to enjoy Chapter 53 with these predictions. You are definitely on to something.

Interesting to me that everyone assumes the Hutts might help the Jedi [face_thinking]

11. darth_treyvah

darth_treyvah Jedi Master star 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Ah yes. Namtar was also created by Darth Plagueis through midichlorian manipulation. I wonder if this, being a creation of the Force, has something to do with his motivation to "liberate" it from its "binary frame."

12. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    Yeah, the boards have chopped down everything over a thousand words or so, and I doubt it will ever be fixed. I will probably go through and repaste all the chapters soon so the stories are readable. Too bad the long replies won't be. Until then though, the great and powerful Xammer has been nice enough to put my stories on dropbox: YodaKenobi's fics

You can download them there. Thanks for reading and replying :D

I had to cut out the parts where Luke started talking about Mass Effect 3, cuz I thought it would be overkill :p

There's a very good reason for that, and a surprisingly simple one, actually.

Yes, Tython's presense has absolutely NOTHING to do with TOR, for the record. It was mentioned back in the Official Atlas back in 2009 and talked about the first battle between the light side and dark sides, which predates TOR by quite a bit. I think TOR might have established it as the actual Jedi homeworld though. Anyway, Everything one needs to know about Tython will be put in the story, so don't worry about it if it's foreign to you. You are not missing anything you need to know.

More than you think, but we are now in the 3rd act of a three act play :p I believe there are between 20 and 25 chapters left, though that all depends on the writing sometimes. I actually close to having an exact number and the titles of most of the chapters. I might post those as a teaser sometime soon.

Yes, thanks for the PM. The book is an absolute mess. I'm ready for the EU to just be blown up.

We will be getting into all of that very soon, and Maybe even hearing from Plagueis himself on some of these matters, in a way...

New post should be up next week, but with a caveat: I'll be MIA for a couple weeks after that, out of town with probably not a lot of internet time or working-on-story time. Don't worry though, I'm definitely not abandoning the story and will be back to it soon.

Chapter 52, "Death Notice", will be a bit of a slow chapter, catching up with a few characters we haven't seen lately.

13. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Finished The Age of Heroes. Amazing. Dark, tense moments without gruesome injuries. Much better than the Post NJO so far. No idea how this all ends up but am excited for the rest of the ride.

14. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    Thanks a lot :D I hope you like the rest of the series.

Thanks for reading!

Bad news/good news: The next post will not be completed by tomorrow, but my leaving has been delayed, so there's a chance I can still get it completed before I pull my disappearing act. Sorry for the delay, guys. It will be up soon.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  15. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    You're welcome! I'm sure I will! Almost 3/4ths of the way through Exodus. Liking how things are shaping up so far. Thanks for writing!

16. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Until the time is right, disappear we will

Are you saying we won't see you until Ben is nineteen years old? :p

YodaKenobi and Force Smuggler like this.
  17. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Finished The Lands of the Dead and started The End of All Light. That was amazing! Best one yet.

18. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    I agree -- The Lands of the Dead was the most memorable single volume of this series for me, too. And regardless of what the last act of this last book has to offer, I think it will stay that way; simply because it has the most "original" content with the depiction of Raithian space, and the captivity-and-rescue plot is extremely focused. If I had to suggest a single book out of this series to read all on its own, it would be that one.

YodaKenobi likes this.
  19. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    All of them have been wonderful but Lands of the Dead or The Living Force are the best two. Though The End Of All Light looks like it will be just as amazing.

20. Durroness

Durroness Jedi Grand Master star 1

Sep 4, 2002
    Overall, the Lands of the Dead might be the most memorable for me, as well. I can still picture some of those scenes on Apollyon even all this time after having read them. But I think my #1 favorite scene from the series is the confrontation between Jacen, Jaina and Wrev in Exodus (I think it was Exodus?) atop they flying city/resort. When Jaina jumped off rather than go with Jacen... that was some powerful stuff.

That being said, I'm thinking there might be a scene (or ten) before this is all said and done that will rival the above scene for the place of #1.

I would also like to take this opportunity to remind you of how much I love Wrev. Just, you know, in case you forgot that I'm rooting for the kid. [face_batting]

YodaKenobi and cthugha like this.
  21. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Finally.
    All caught up. Might have to go back and reread the entries in the NJO again.
    Good Lord. What an emotional rollercoaster that was. No clue at how this is going to wrap up successfully but I still believe that this will wrap up successfully for the good guys. Obviously there will be more losses, not looking forward to that but do your worst!

YodaKenobi likes this.
  22. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    That gives me an idea. When I first started reading Yobi's fics a few years ago, I only had the vaguest idea about the events in the NJO, and never actually read those novels until later.

I think what I'm going to do is this: After Yobi finally finishes this story, and brings the entire Yobiverse to a close, I'm going to conduct a MASSIVE re-read. I will start at Vector Prime and go all the way up to Destiny's Way (which, if I recall, is the last book that's canon in Yobi's AU), and after DW start reading Revolution, then continue on through Yobi's NJO conclusion trilogy, then re-read Legacy of the Sith.

I am a bit sad that this re-read will leave out The Unifying Force (one of my favorite books ever), but I can come back to the end of the NJO at another time. And, best of all, I can cheerfully pretend that LotF/FotJ never happened. :D

YodaKenobi likes this.
  23. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I mean Yobi's NJO entries. Not the original NJO series. Good plan though!

24. Clone_Cmdr_Wedge

Clone_Cmdr_Wedge Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2006
    Rew

I might be wrong, but I thought Revolution/The Eighth Cortex/The Living Force just replaced the last two NJO books (Final Prophecy and The Unifying Force)? Probably no biggy, since I don't recall much of what happened in the Force Heretic Trilogy. Though to be fair, it's been about 10 years since I read them. And I had plenty of other things on my mind at that point.

I actually got through all of NJO before even hearing about the "Yobiverse (Copyright Rew? :p )." I remember just browsing the boards here and finding "Age of Heros," and thought that sounded interesting. At that point I saw that there was a whole series that took place before it, so I started at Revolution and worked my way up from there.

That NJO re-read sounds kinda interesting actually. Now if only I remembered where I put my copies of those books...

For me, I figure that even if EoAL goes downhill hard (like The-Thing-That-Shall-Not-Be-Named), I got Yobi's alternate ending to the NJO. Just fix one little scene with Callista (mainly just deleting it) and presto! Satisfying ending with no dangling plot threads. :cool: Either way though, I'll be here when the story's done. Good or bad, I gotta see how this gets resolved.

And yes, as far as I'm concerned, nothing after NJO (save for the Yobiverse most likely) happens at all. :D

YodaKenobi and Force Smuggler like this.
  25. Xammer

Xammer Jedi Master star 3

Jan 31, 2009
    Yes, that's right.

Incidentally, I did such a re-read of the NJO up until Force Heretic in January-February 2010, before starting Revolution. For me, it was kinda tedious, as I don't find many Star Wars books interesting (and the Yobiverse started to be high-quality somewhere in the middle of The Eighth Cortex).