main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    The most 'alternative' music I regularly listen to is probably Oasis. Otherwise, I'm mainly 60-late 70s rock, random modern bands, and soundtracks.

2. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    My favorite bands are The Beatles (particularly any song written by Ringo / While My Guitar Gently Weeps / Eleanor Rigby), Muse, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Queen, Coheed and Cambria, Foo Fighters, Led Zeppelin, Dead Sara, and Rise Against. I also love any song that would be appropriate for a Fallout game. Rock and metal from the 60's, 70's, 80's, and most of the 90's makes up most the rest of the music I listen to. Most rock / metal after 2000 just sounds generic to me with very few exceptions.

...all this music talk makes me want to play Brutal Legend while I wait for GTA V.

3. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    Oh, and I have a soft spot for certain Disney songs.

4. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    And this just reminds me that I never beat Brutal Legend. I must correct this at the earliest opportunity.

What, all 2 of them? :p

Yeah, the 2000's (more like the late 90's) on is when the state of popular music (emphasis on popular) really declined, particularly when it comes to rock and metal. Coheed and Cambria are one of the very, very few heavier rock bands that were able to do something unique, and do it exactly how they wanted with little to no compromises and actually profit from it. I'm not the biggest fan, but I respect the hell out of them for that (Tool are probably the other big one I can think of in this category). Still, there is some great stuff if you dig deeper. I'll recommend Porcupine Tree to pretty much everyone until I draw my last breath.

The_Forgotten_Jedi likes this.
  5. jacktherack

jacktherack Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2008
    i listen to this masterpeice.

6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
  7. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005

Ackbar likes the taste of live shrimp apparently.

...Considering how much I played this game as a kid, why I am learning about it now?

8. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    Shame it didn't sell better. I would have liked to have seen a sequel.

Heh, yeah. But seriously, if you can't listen to Octopus's Garden without grinning, something is wrong with you.

Ooh, I had forgotten about Porcupine Tree. My dad is a big fan of them. My parents have great taste in music and made sure I was exposed to a wide variety of genres and eras and always recommend new bands to me. I'm not a big fan of Tool though. They've never been able to hook me like they have other people I know.

Uniqueness is one of the things I listen for in new bands. With how generic and copy-pasted most bands seem, I'm always excited to hear someone trying something different or a singer with a unique voice. Of course, it could go really wrong and be terrible, but that's the risk, and even if I don't like it, I respect the musicians for trying to be different than the norm. Also bands who are able to evolve their sound (instead of putting out album after album that sounds exactly the same) without losing what makes them great are awesome. C & C, Rise Against, and Red Hot Chili Peppers are some of the best examples of that IMO.

instantdeath likes this.
  9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000

That ****ing TIE Training mission. Hated it SO much. SO much. Which is funny, because judging by TIE Fighter, I'm the best TIE pilot in the galaxy. :p

CooperTFN, Gorefiend and MercenaryAce like this.
  10. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    I don't think I ever legitimately beat that mission. I used cheat codes a lot.

...Though I can't claim to be a great TIE pilot anyway - the best I ever did in the classic model is taking down 6 Z-95s single-handedly.

Always loved the T-Wing myself.

11. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Rebel Assault II had cheat codes?!?!? why did I never know this?? lol. Guess it's good I didn't know it.

ugh, the T-wing is basically an underpowered A-wing. Just as fragile, but only with a TIE Interceptor's speed.

Best I've done in a classic unshielded TIE is survive against 12 X-wings, 6 X-wings, and a Mon Cal cruiser. But man were my arms tired after that. Now that's real exercise!

12. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Cheat codes? Yeah, it was the only way I did the "fly the Millennium Falcon equivalent through the tunnels".

But I wish I had known about the MST3K easter egg (which I just found out about today, I'm presuming the same place you did, MercenaryAce)

I know the "conventional wisdom" in video game design is that space flight games are worthless, but why do they seem to think rail space shooters are more enjoyable?

13. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Oh, it was called the Corellia Star or something, right? I think? It's been... like a decade and a half. But whatever. :p

RC: I was singing "I can't wait to be king" the other day, and then my liege had me imprisoned and castrated :(

14. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    Edit - oops, missed some replies.

Yeah, well - flying rebel craft is just cheating. Higher end Imperial stuff too for that matter.

Now, granted, lower end Imperial stuff was too hard, so I kind of gravitated to fringer craft. And hence came my username.

R-41, Planetary, Preybird, Razor, even the Pinook - flew and loved them all. Well, maybe not loved the Pinook but...unless I was fighting it.....

Anyway, that is most impressive. Was that in TIE Fighter, X-Wing vs Tie Fighter, or X-Wing Alliance. I can't even survive close to a capital ship in that last game, much less kill one. Heck, even fighting frieghters and shuttles is really dangerous and annoying.

About cheat codes: Well, every level had its own code to let you skip to it. I used them a lot

blackmyron : I know what you mean...I wonder how that source found out about them

15. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    TIE Fighter. Without that epic iMUSE music, I'm not sure I'd ever have been able to achieve my 3million+ score and my 1300+ kills. The best thing about that game is that if you ever cheat, it thrashes your score so you can instantly tell if someone's achievements are legit or not. :D

Capships are easy to kill in XWA. At least, when they're without support. Yeah, the point defense guns are MUCH more accurate and deadly but if you're going at a high enough rate of speed and you're patient enough to make repeated passes over like... 30 minutes, then yeah, you can take out Star Destroyers, even an SSD. Although the SSDs are ridiculously hard if you use XWA Upgrade because they're increased to 19000 meters and have eight shield generators, just like the actual ship model (and SSD shield generators are double strength) :p

CooperTFN likes this.
  16. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009

Well that's what happens when you plot for the throne loudly, you fool.

17. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    Well, I am most definitely not patient enough for that. Though one time I took out an ISD by firing a full load of space bombs into its bridge.

Though, now that you mention it...I think my favorite thing to do in that game was recon. Nothing quite like zooming through the middle of a densely packed enemy fleet in a a-wing with all shields and weapons diverted to the engines.

Also, sometimes I liked to use the editor to make capital ships fight each other. Apparently one ISD can handle six dreadnaughts, no problem. And a SSD...that thing chewed up everything I could think of and spit it out.

CooperTFN likes this.
  18. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    ugh, I hate those missions. I usually spent my time dogfighting to get all the bonus objectives, but then your inspection targets usually hype. It's a fine balance, and I always play on hard and go for overachieving...

I actually bought AlliED back when it was paid software, and used it to come up with my whole series of NR and NJO-era campaigns. Of course, I never really got to enjoy them because I'd have to play each mission like 5 times to get the balancing and scripting right... :p

I did like the greater flexibility in XWA's engine for missions though: you could have hidden objectives, because the mission goals could be written in a way that masked the objectives. Even flight group behavior can be masked: instead of "docking..." you could make it say "delivering pizza..." :D

Gorefiend likes this.
  19. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    That's a neat trick, I don't remember ever doing that.

PS - Not entirely on topic, but I wanted to say it before I forget - I think my proudest moment in a flight sim was back in Combat Flight Simulator, where I took down two BF-109s with a Sopwith Camel. Last one shot me down too, but that was the best part of the memory - our two planes going down side by side, with his hitting the ground right before mine.

20. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003

Observe... one of the greatest Youtube videos in existence!

Ulicus and RC-1991 like this.
  21. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I endorse everything about this conversation.

(not you, Coffee :p)

MercenaryAce likes this.
  22. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    I'm still proud of a mission in F-22 Raptor, where the objective was to stop bombers from taking out the airfield. All fun and games til I take a missile hit and my fuel system is damaged, giving me a time crunch. After running out of missiles, I'm down to killing a trio of bombers with guns, the last when my fuel runs out and I have to trade altitude for speed to be able to intercept the thing. Killing it, I eject, and finally the mission success triggers as I'm drifting on a parachute.

MercenaryAce likes this.
  23. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I went out to the bookstore to get Kenobi . . . but I ended up geeking out hardest over the Barnes and Noble prestige hardcover collection of American Founding documents -- a lot of letters, speeches, pamphlets, and official documents, including The Federalist Papers, Common Sense, the Inaugurals through Madison, and the Declaration, Articles of Confederation, and Constitution.

At least AdmiralNick22 and GrandAdmiralJello will understand.

24. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    So here I am, sitting in my first apartment.
    Well, not exactly my, I'm on a rent. But I pay for it.
    Well, the housemate pays half of it.
    Actually the state pays most of it.
    Anyway, I have moved away from home. After the military service this seems easy. No one is shouting yet and I don't have to eat lumpy porridge in the morning if I don't want to.

25. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003

[​IMG]

Bib Fartuna and Lugija like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.