main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Miley Cyrus at the VMA

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthTunick , Aug 25, 2013.

1. wannasee

wannasee Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2007
    Thank you for agreeing with me, Wocky.

2. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I agree for longevity. But Madge never had the singing chops and writing talent comparable to Gaga at this stage of her career and beyond. Madonna had a heck of a stage presence and force of will though. I'm not saying Gaga is the second coming. She is partially derivative too. But there's enough there to make her instantly compelling as a performer and artist.

Aytee-Aytee said:
    Just googled this Robin Thicke character....he's Alan Thicke's son.

So....I guess that means....he got diff'rent strokes from Miley? Eh? Eh?

He's also Paula Patton's husband. That's what he really is. Forget him. Just think the guy who sleeps with Paula Patton.

3. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Doubley double

4. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    Quick 'shop before I go to work.
    [​IMG]
    "We're here for your daughter, Chuck!"

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  5. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    That was posted on the first page of the thread.

Ender Sai and Sebulba-X like this.
  6. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Your welcome, though virtually the same class of arguments could be made against you. Calling her a string of words profane enough to be unprintable on this website doesn't really advance your cause. Much like her act, you deliberately chose the most inflammatory and provocative language possible to describe your objections. In the first place, as with her, it makes it very hard to deny that this wasn't your intention. And again, regardless of whether it was not, it doens't appreciably change what you actually did.

7. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  8. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    so wocky is your basic assertion that people who overtly express sensuality deserve to be called names?

9. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I'm a man-whore.

s65horsey likes this.
  10. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Usually he calls them subversives.

11. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Or Margaery

RC-1991, Ender Sai, s65horsey and 6 others like this.
  12. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    That is not my assertion at all, and the whole purpose of my last post was to point why that sort of attitude is wrong.

The penultimate post addresses the idea of the actual act. There are a couple lines of argument that can be advanced. One common defense of many dance routines is that, although they might bear some resemblance to (or even be derivative from) more unsavory contexts, the slippery slope argument is not valid. People are merely engaging in them because they are enjoyable and challenging. It's the sort of thing movies like Footloose present.

Alternatively, one can turn to the notion of expressing sensuality/sexuality. There are also some fair arguments to be made in this direction, as a general case. But as I pointed out earlier, they don't much apply to Cyrus. She specifically calls attention to the notion of acting "like [she's] in a strip club." This is neither a normal nor terribly healthy expression of human sexuality. It reinforces a heavily gendered power dynamic, creates unrealistic expectations, and gives no real consideration to the humanity of other participants. In these dimensions, it doesn't being to resemble what even the most ardent advocates of open sexuality call for. I can respect someone that wants to have the discussion you are raising, but Cyrus is pretty clearly declining to take part in the dialogue. She's not trying to say anything about sexuality, so much as to employ its most over-stated imagery. There's not much positive about that, and I don't see why people shouldn't point out how bad it was.

Obi-Zahn Kenobi likes this.
  13. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013

You know there's a second alternative, right? Not commenting on others (i.e not you, not your business) in an unfriendly manner just because you disapprove
    I will demonstrate it to you by not calling you a -. (I have to leave this sentence unfinished for the sake of my point)

14. DT421

DT421 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2003
    Yeah, but not from that angle, Kristie. Apparently people need to see that from different angles. :p

15. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
  16. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
  17. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002

jp-30 likes this.
  18. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Why are we reposing random sentence fragments?

19. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    To push you towards getting a formal education. The Electric Company is good to get a start, but sooner or later you're going to want to go to school, Wocky.

jp-30 likes this.
  20. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Shame on you for not using cascading belittling quotes.

21. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    I'm not Dani. ICDTT.

22. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    i had no idea norman conquest-based humor would be so popular itt

how about those carolingians and their wacky names? pepin the short? charles the fat? louis the stammerer?! YO EH OVAHEAR!!

23. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I choose to read this as the "f" word, which makes your ramblings sound mildly delusional.

Strangely, this still works.

Juliet316 likes this.
  24. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    So, if she had substituted the "strip club" environment for say, chain-marrying kings the overt lasciviousness would be praise worthy, correct?

Miley, Margaery... both start with an "M". Hmmm.

25. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Setting aside your insinuation that "chain-marrying" might imply anything more than brave perseverance after a failed relationship, yes.

There are plenty of ways to express your sexuality. Many of them are good, or at least harmless. The method she chose was not. Again, probably because she wasn't sincerely trying to express anything anyway, so much as provoke other people.