main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series "The Nightsisters chose the Dark Side for you"

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by darklordoftech, Aug 27, 2013.

1. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Obi-Wan says this to Maul, but I thought Maul was raised by Sidious, not the Nightsisters. What's going on?

2. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    What do you think?

Paparazzo likes this.
  3. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    What I've decided to say: absolutely no idea

What I really think: CANON CRISIS!!!!!

Mzukiller likes this.
  4. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Maul was raised by Sidious on Mustafar, so what Obi-Wan said was wrong

5. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012

:p

I think what Obi-Wan was saying was that the Nightsisters may have given him to Sidious, possibly in a similar way to Savage being 'given' to Dooku. I have not read any of the books, so I very likely could be wrong about that.

6. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    And why would Obi-Wan screw up that badly? They did know that this was Darth Maul.

7. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    I took the liberty of checking the episode again and pulled out the quote in question: "I know the decision to join the Dark Side wasn't yours. The Nightsisters made it for you." Then he is interrupted before he can elaborate. He never explicitly said that Maul was raised by the Nightsisters.

So I think Obi-Wan is just drawing his own conclusions based on his visit to Dathomir in the episode Witches of the Mist. But he isn't privy to the information that we have on Maul's own backstory, so obviously his conclusions are mistaken. But in any case, what he said can be true...from a certain point of view, naturally. :p Remember, it was Maul's mother Kycina who gave Maul to Sidious when he was still an infant. Maul had no say in the decision, as he was too young to even remember it. As Kycina was a Nightsister, you could then say that the decision was made by her; by surrendering her child to a Sith Lord, she was the one who allowed Maul to join the Dark Side.

Nah, no canon crisis at all, methinks. You don't have to take everything Kenobi says literally! "A certain point of view," as KenobiSkywalker kindly pointed out.

8. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

Could have been retcon for all we know, cause Maul was raised on Mustafar

KenobiSkywalker Maul was just a infant when the Nightsisters gave him up to Sidious

9. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Which could be taken as the decision being made for him, from a certain point of view.

10. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Yeah, I don't see an issue with this.

11. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    Kind of ironic, since kids are also volunteered to be Jedi in the same way.

12. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    Yep. No different from the Jedi or the Clone Troopers.

13. Kenobi098

Kenobi098 Jedi Knight star 1

May 8, 2013
    It is a combination of a lot of what everyone has been posting along being based on Greco-Roman Myths

The nightsisters, or at least Talzin's Clan were reimagined in TWC as the Star Wars version of the Amazons of Greco-Roman myth. They therefore needed someone to take the role of the Gargareans(the tribe of men that the Amazons used as breeding stock). They decided to tie Mauls origins into this by having a Zabrak colony established in the distant past and the human nightsister(like the other Dathomir witch clans descended from a stranded Female jedi) interbred them. According to the Plagieus novel once the the nightsisters regularly hold competition like the on that Savage went through but the winner gets to mate with a nightsister. Once the nightsister conceives she has to kill the father(so Maul, Savage and Feral all have different Dads). She decided she did not want all of her sons to go through this, Savage was already born by this time as it has been stated he is the oldest brother. She gave Maul to Palpatine who was visiting Dathomir as part of his Sith training.

So Maul was raised on Mustafar by Sidious but he also did not have a choice because his Nightsister Mother made the choice to give him to the sith.

14. Paparazzo

Paparazzo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Sounds like a great episode title.

I'm thinking cliffhangers at the start of every ad break, mind-blowing battle scenes (read: 1 clone trooper vs 2 or 3 droids?), logic-defying excuses for everything that happens (I'm thinking "Darth Plageuis? Oh, he never died, he was just hibernating. Like a squirrel, ya know." Many canon-rewriting deaths will be vital; perhaps Yoda? I don't think fans really care enough about him to worry about that. It's not like he has a major part in the series anyway. Perhaps Padme kills him in a moment of passionate fury and Anakin has to cover it up because he loves her? So, he calls on the help of his old friend Ahsoka 'Snips' Tano (who else?) to go through months of excruciating plastic surgery to become a fake Yoda?

Any takers?

Thuro and darklordoftech like this.
  15. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013
    Yeah, Maul was just an infant when the Nightsisters gave him to Sidious, but they handed him over TO BE RAISED BY THE MOST EVIL ************ IN THE UNIVERSE, DOG
    ...I think it's pretty safe to say they chose the dark side for him.

16. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    The thing is, Kycina handed Maul to Palpatine to keep him away from the darkside. Kycina didn't know that Palpatine = Sidious.

17. hlc88

hlc88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Err does the Darth Plagius novel go into all this? Just wondering if its actually worth getting?

18. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    yes to both

hlc88 likes this.
  19. Praenomen Cognomen

Mar 24, 2013

I won't say the exact timeframe, because it's a good surprise, but the timeframe goes a bit longer than you might expect. It also has the feeling of one of those books that is concretely within canon, and that Luceno worked with the continuity folks pretty closely.

darklordoftech likes this.
  20. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    That's for sure. It connects the Old Republic era to the movie era well.

21. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Best Star Wars novel I've read so far.

22. Praenomen Cognomen

Mar 24, 2013
    I also appreciated that it wasn't just EVIL SITH EVILNESS pr0n; in fact, the Plagueis character seems to scoff at old Sith mysticism, but treats Force manipulation as a science and a tool to further his political maneuvering.

23. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Also try and read the Luceno short stories about Maul, too. And of course Labyrinth of Evil.

24. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    The Plagueis novel went into Hego Damask's plan to use Palpatine's political genius to have the Sith infiltrate the government, knowing that the Jedi would not expect that. That was most interesting and most creepy to me.

On topic, I think Circular Logic covered it.

TtheForceHurts and Mia Mesharad like this.
  25. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    The Nightsisters gave Maul to Darth Sidious, the choice was theirs not his, that's what Obi-Wan is saying.