main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Hasbro's "The Vintage Collection"; Favorite Figure?

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by CommanderXGhost, Nov 6, 2012.

1. CommanderXGhost

CommanderXGhost Jedi Youngling

Oct 19, 2012
    Hey all, big fan of the Vintage Collection, probably in my opinion the best standard 3.75inch scale Starwars figures around, and right now my favorite TVC figure would be Luke Skywalker (Light-Saber Construction). What's yours?

2. DarthMak

DarthMak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 4, 2001
    ROTS Darth Sidious and the Gamorrean Guard. So many great figures though, it's hard to choose.

TreborSabreon likes this.
  3. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Indeed. I can't pick just one. I really like the articulation and the usage of cloth for the costumes. Though, I've had some issues with accessories simply not staying on. Dengar will soon go under the glue gun, so that his codpiece and backpack stay on permanently.

J_Girl likes this.
  4. It'sHereToStay

It'sHereToStay Jedi Youngling

Dec 1, 2012
    The Vintage collection is good ( my favorite figure being Jango Fett for some reason) but it doesn't compare to the 2006 saga collection

5. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    I only have some minor issues with otherwise flawless figures. Jango Fett's gauntlet blades are permanently extended, and Daultay Dofine is unable to sit (as he is in most of his scenes). But I'd give it to one of the Boba Fetts... probably the Empire edition for the added features.

6. CommanderXGhost

CommanderXGhost Jedi Youngling

Oct 19, 2012
    Wouldn't mind owning a Jango Fett figure from the Vintage Collection, never actually encountered a Jango figure worth purchasing in my opinion, Boba Fett however is another matter entirely.
    The Revenge of the Sith edition Boba Fett is probs one of my favorite figures from that line of figures.
    That one and Commander Cody (Revenge of the Sith), Old Republic Trooper (Starwars: The Old Republic), Darth Malgus (Starwars: The Old Republic), Darth Maul (The Phantom Menace), and last but not least ARC Trooper Commander (Expanded Universe)

Fav figures I own atleast! :p

7. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    When you toss in the original 2004 VOTC, the TVSC, TVC etc. this line numbers over 100 strong! As far as this most recent (and prolific) TVC line, my favorite is probably the Concept Boba Fett in white armor. It was a mail-away, but still a part ofTVC line. At retail my favorite is the Gamorrean Guard.

The "Saga 2" was a fantastic run wasn't it? Kinda makes me nostalgic thinking about it.

8. Aaronaman

Aaronaman Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 12, 2013
    Admiral Ackbar is my favourite....every time I look at him in the box I expect him to yell 'it's a trap!' They've gotten his likeness spot on.

TreborSabreon and J_Girl like this.
  9. Ani501st

Ani501st Jedi Padawan star 3

Mar 18, 2013
    Good question ! All the figures of this collection are quite good to me but if I had to choose a favorite I would say that Daultay Dofine is my favorite. I've been waiting for this figure for so long and I'm satisfied with this version that Hasbro made.

10. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    The Vintage Collection figures, with their generally outstanding sculpts, articulation and beautiful cardbacks, served to get me back into collcting for the first time since I was a kid, last seen gobbling up Kenner figures during 1983-84. I think they're all pretty great, but if I had to choose just one, hands down, it's VC23, Luke Skywalker in his Jedi Knight outfit.

Man, what an outstanding figure this turned out to be. It literally has it all: My favorite character from my childhood, wearing my favorite outfit for him, with an incredible Mark Hamill likeness and the exact articulation I would have picked, given the chance. I mean, Luke has wrists that enable me to pose him with a lightsaber virtually any way I like, ball joints everywhere you'd want and swivel joints in just the right places (no weak, wobbly waist joint on this guy). Oh, and Hasbro even managed to disguise the p.o.a. well enough to give Luke great aesthetics (and with no bulky V-chest or wide-stance legs). And those cardbacks...

I know I'm gushing here and there are a number of other great figures to be found throughout the line (for just one example, try asking accessory junkies and customizers about VC100), but there's a certain magical quality about a figure that turns out so great functionally and aesthetically, while adding just the right touch of glistening nostalgia.

Darth Venator likes this.
  11. Darth Venator

Darth Venator Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 1, 2013
    VC12 RotS Darth Sidious has my heart.

The face sculpt and lightning are fantastic, and the posability is pretty good too :) Plus, there's the attached sentimentality of my struggle finding him whilst trying to avoid paying £70+ just makes me even more appreciative :)

The only gripe I have is the soft goods not matching too well... I'd almost prefer him in the TVC TPM Sidious robes, but equally - his outfit sets him apart from my other Palpatines quite nicely!

TreborSabreon likes this.
  12. Darth Venator

Darth Venator Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 1, 2013
    I retract my previous post!

I just now decided to try TPM Sidious without his robes - I foolishly only ever removed the hood before... Without them you end up with an 'apprentice' style Palpatine from the EU/Plagueis era, decked in training gear. Let me tell you, this figure is beautiful! The articulation, fantastic clothing and face sculpt (the greying hair in the paint job is a great touch) is totally wasted under the soft goods.

Its immediately taken centre place in my Palpatine collection! Though I now kinda feel obliged to get another one to display robed too... Eck, the pains of being a completionist collector :p

whostheBossk likes this.
  13. Giovs

Giovs Jedi Master star 3

Apr 29, 2013
    Probably the ones that really needed an uptdate:
    - Bespin Han Solo
    - Gamorrean Guard
    - Admiral Ackbar

14. BOBAFLEXX

BOBAFLEXX Jedi Padawan

Jan 30, 2003
    Really enjoyed the 4LOM and Zuckuss figures from the SW Celebration 2 pack!

Was really hoping for Imperial Dignitaries from ROTJ on TVC cardbacks or as a 2 pack, but one can dream I suppose......

15. TychoCorde

TychoCorde Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 3, 2012
    My favorite from the "vintage collection" is probably Nom Anor, great detail in the figure. I also enjoy my AOTC disguised Padme and Anakin.

Darth Venator likes this.
  16. Hando

Hando Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 7, 2013
    Hey all big fan of the VTC's but missed the last couple of waves from falling out of love with all things SW collecting for a while. . . . . Will give me something to collect over the coming months though so that's cool.

Anyway . . . . Have to be the Gamorrean for me - was a jaw dropping moment the first time I saw him!

17. Matsemitsu

Matsemitsu Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 1, 2012
    True. These are some of my favorites as well. However, my #1 is what may be an unpopular choice: the Death Star Escape Luke. A really great likeness, good poseability. I have it posed with a corresponding ANH Leia ready to swing across the chasm in a Death Star display - looks perfect. As with many of the TVC figures, exactly what I want in SW action figures: little miniature scenes from the movies. This does that more than many many others.

whostheBossk likes this.
  18. thebeanpole

thebeanpole Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 11, 2013
    Gamorrean guard and Dengar for me. I still really like the older 2004 Dengar, but the VC one is great.

19. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    The Vintage collection figures are quite possibly my favorite SW action figure line, ever. Overall superb sculpts & fantastic, nostalgic packaging - too bad there weren't more of them, and that most of them had poor distribution. I can't pick just one, but will say that the Imperial Naval Trooper (INT), The 3-pack Target Snaggletooth, and Dr. Evazan were all incredible figures. Evazan in particular was one I had wanted since the original Vintage days (I'm not counting the sub-par POTF2 version). The INT was truly phenomenal, and was a great update to the '98 version. Being a huge cantina alien fan since '77, this new Snaggletooth was amazing as well.

I would put the Ponda Baba (Walrusman) figure on this list, but I was never able to find this figure @ retail (I don't order online), so was never able to appreciate this in person....

Hando likes this.
  20. Hando

Hando Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 7, 2013
    I wouldn't even be able to collect without online these days but it does take much of the fun out of it. :(

The Vintage Collection has certainly rocked and having collected EVERY since since the Red / Orange cards of the90's these were the best for me.

Smile_youS.O.B likes this.
  21. Smile_youS.O.B

Smile_youS.O.B Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 16, 2014
    Gamorrean guard is one of the best looking figures at that scale in any line. However, I have a few personal favorites from the VC, which is my favorite line followed by 30th Anniversary.

I love the Republic Trooper, ARC Tooper, and General Grievous. Actually, my favorite is all my Foil variants.

22. Smile_youS.O.B

Smile_youS.O.B Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 16, 2014

I love the Vintage Collection with a passion, and it mostly has to do with the awesome card backs. Right when I got into collection the VC a year ago, it was pretty much on it's last leg. I remember when they announced the Black Series, they said VC was going on a break, and I'm hoping it is just a break. Maybe it could be a special event, like every few years they release a few waves on a Vintage Kenner card?

whostheBossk likes this.
  23. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    I only have one VC figure: Han Solo Endor Disguise.

That specific Han holds such dear memories, that I had to pick him up when I saw him in the store, despite not collecting Star Wars merch at the time.

24. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999

Yes, the VC Gammorean Guard is definitely one of the best figures in the VC line. I dug mine out recently, and like the fact that not only is the sculpt superb, but also it comes with three accessories: the axe from the Vintage 1983 figure, the correct axe as seen in the film, and a vibro-blade - as seen in the scene when the Gammoreans try to unsuccessfully block Luke's path in ROTJ...

The VC Rebel Fleet trooper is also a great figure - truly amazing sculpt & great accessories (including the normal Rebel trooper helmet & the alternate cap). The only thing missing from this figure is a holster for the laser pistol...

whostheBossk likes this.
  25. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    I really like the Blue Senate Guard, what a great sculp and the blue is just classic.