main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Which scenes in ROTS would you cut?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Garrett Atkins, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Darth Dominikkus

Darth Dominikkus Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2013
    YES. This is great. I think there should have been a better transformation from ROTS to ANH involving technology, equipment, and the Empire as a whole.

kainee likes this.
  2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Mentions of Stormtroopers and Star Destroyers yes. I like the differences in feel between the two trilogies. At the end of ROTS you knew things would be bad and by ANH 19 years later you saw how bad things were.

kainee and Darth Dominikkus like this.
  3. Revenge of the Dak

Revenge of the Dak Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 27, 2012
    The one thing I would like changed is the line "don't make me kill you". IMO, there was a perfect moment to show that An akin was gone and Vader has arrived. "Don't make me destroy you" is Vader! I would have jumped up in my seat and screamed Hell yeah!!!!

That is all

4. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I liked that line the way it was. No complaints from me. Rip-off of an OT line if they did it and they were too evenly matched. Luke was beaten soundly when Vader said it. Obi-Wan would not have been beaten easily.

kainee and Darth Dominikkus like this.
  5. Sur-Gon Jinn

Sur-Gon Jinn Jedi Youngling

Aug 14, 2013
    hmm...

"it's because I'm so in love with YOU" (that entire scene)

Cut down the Anakin vs Obi-Wan fight. It's great up till the shields go down/they start swinging from those wires...from then on I found it rather boring and anti-climatic. I did like the final parts of it with Anakin trying to jump over Obi-Wan..succeeding to do so but leaving himself open to losing the other 3 of his limbs.

Cut out the Padme giving up the will to live as being the reason for her dying..while it does and can happen "irl" I found it extremely stupid and hard to swallow considering she just popped out two kids....worst mother ever award goes too..... Just leave it be that she died after giving birth from her injuries AND emotional state..that it was too much for her body and she died....or, ideally, I'd change it so she lived for at least a little while raising Leia so Leia's words in RotJ actually, y'know, make sense about remembering her mother being kind but sad.

That, imo (obviously,) would make it a much better flowing story/movie.

6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I would have cut everything from the ruminations scene onward, plus the Squid Lake scene.

7. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

Uhhhh what? o_O

Darkslayer and cwustudent like this.
  8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I didn't hold anything back. You can take my statement literally.

I would cut everything starting at the end of the ruminations scene. Right before Anakin leaves the Council chambers.

9. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    "When I left you, I was but the learner...."

--I would have enjoyed Vader being even more arrogant on Mustafar, by calling himself a Master or something.
    Would have made me laugh, like the Emperor's forgiveness in the OT.

10. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Agreed but Anakin did say "My new Empire." Maybe not arrogant in the way you said but still pretty arrogant.

kainee likes this.
  11. Darth Ridiculis

Darth Ridiculis Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 15, 2013
    I think that's better left as a mystery until Episode IV. I can imagine someone seeing the films for the first time in chronological order wondering what that giant space station is that the Emperor is looking at and then popping Episode IV in anticipation. Everything doesn't need to be spelled out.

cwustudent and kainee like this.
  12. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Yeah that was, but it always felt out of place.

13. Rachel_In_Red

Rachel_In_Red Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2013
    Anything that involves Anakin using the phrase "my powers" always makes me cringe. I would be fine if all of those were deleted.

Darth Dnej likes this.
  14. Kenobi098

Kenobi098 Jedi Knight star 1

May 8, 2013
    I really love ROTS but to improve this is what I'd do and it is no where near the stuff I would do to TPM or AOTC

CGI post Windu fight Sidious to match ROTJ more closely. He looked Bloated for some reason in Rots. Add the one of shaak ti death scenes(making force unleashed infinities). Cut the "I'm so in love with you scene." Add the scene were the senators present the Petition of 2000 to Sidious with Anakin in the room but not the scene of the senators in Padmes apartment, as you can get the same info that there are Senators starting to resist Palpatine in both but Anakin's reaction here to Padme being a part of this actually adds to the end of the movie and why he thinks she could betray him.

cwustudent likes this.
  15. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    I wouldn't cut anything - and I would add the deleted scenes in!

16. Jabari

Jabari Jedi Master star 1

Jun 25, 2007
    I would cut Anakin's visions - just show him waking up in terror, or something. And cut the "lost the will to live" bit, as well as the actual birth. Cut straight to Padme's dying conversation with Obi-Wan, babies in hand.

Mostly though, I'd want to balance some of the fall of the Republic with much more of the beginning of the Rebellion. Because the rise of the Rebellion is the Star Wars politics I actually wanted to see.

The movie really does have all the parts needed to make a good movie fantastic. It only needs minor tweaking, I think.

kainee likes this.
  17. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    I always liked the thought of Anakin supporting Palpatine, while Padme resisted him. It makes Padme more than just Anakin's wife in ROTS, and makes her seem like her TPM and AOTC self.

kainee likes this.
  18. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    I agree with this so much. I think just about every other scene (except the droid antics) can be kept in. However, a lot of scenes need tweaking. The novelization did the dialogue and character motivations much better.

19. Dark Lord Of The Empire

Dark Lord Of The Empire Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2013
    I would cut the scene where Anakin walks in to the counsel chambers where the younglings are hiding. I know we don't see him actually killing them, but that scene still sort of bothers me. I love the Dark Side and all, but I draw the line at killing younglings. They even call him "Master Skywalker" which makes it even more sad! I mean, the counsel may not have gave him the rank of Master, but these younglings saw him as a Master anyway. They looked up to him, saw him as a hero, someone to model themselves after! And then when he ignites his lightsaber, that one kid gives jumps back slightly as if to say, "what the.." it just doesn't sit right with me! (I'm a dad with little ones, so I can't help but feel this way)
    Anyway back on topic, I would ADD a few things. I would add Anakin's rampage through the temple, showing him fighting and defeating other Jedi Knights and Masters (kind of like in the ROTS video game and novel). I would also add a minute or so towards the end, after Vader has put the suit on, of him "helping the Empire hunt down and destroy the Jedi Knights" as Obi-Won says he did in ANH. It could be a bunch of shorter scenes similar to the Order 66 scene, in which we would see Vader landing on different planets around the galaxy with a bunch of Stormtroopers and taking out the Jedi that are left.
    I think these additions could just as easily show, if not more, how far Anakin has fallen to the Dark Side.

20. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    None. Why is this even a question?

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  21. Normal_Nerds

Normal_Nerds Jedi Padawan star 1

Aug 21, 2013
    I don't think that I'd cut any scenes, but my God does some of the editing suck in the PT (I said some). The scene in RotS where Anakin and Palpatine talk is possibly the worst culprit for this: we cut to the scene and the actors do nothing but walk for three seconds of dead air before starting their conversation. This is a major no-no in film; always cut into a scene, not to actors waiting for it to begin (establishing shots are slightly different). The whole PT is full of this and I'd generally just tighten up the editing. Obviously, the editor could only work with what he was in the footage, but there is still room for improvement here.

Regarding RotS specifically; I would cut the "In my opinion the Jedi are evil" exchange and probably a lot of the "love has blinded you" chatter.

Carbon1985 and kainee like this.
  22. Merkual

Merkual Jedi Master star 4

Jun 3, 2013
    we cut to the scene and the actors do nothing but walk for three seconds of dead air before starting their conversation. This is a major no-no in film; always cut into a scene, not to actors waiting for it to begin
    --------------------

totally agree, that particular scene was just awkward,

TPM:

i'd cut the over long podrace

AOTC: "truly wonderful the mind of a child is" as meangingful as the scene is (And I get why it was there) it makes obi-wan look like a complete idiot and time waster

ROTS:

the balcony "love has blinded you" scene, it was just odd to watch and totally pointless.

Carbon1985 likes this.
  23. kainee

kainee Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 10, 2012
    I wouldn't cut whole scenes and I agree with a majority of what the previous posters said, I would add in the scenes where Padme, Bail Organa, and Mon Mothma were meeting and setting the framework for the rebellion since it helps flesh out characters and world building for Eps IV-VI as well as combine the character building they did for Padme over the courses of Episodes I-II (Unlike with Leia in the CT, I do think Padme had the possibility of being presented as a fully realized female main character but when the editing of RotS was done with making it Anakin's story, Padme was presented within a very narrow archetype when she could've been presented as a melding of the two facets shown of her as the political mover and shaker Amidala in TPM and the softer woman behind the mask Padme in AotC, only matured). I also like PiettsHat's suggestion that the scene between Anakin and Palpatine discussing constitutional changes be added back in since it helps establish more justification for how Anakin could be seduced by Palpatine to the dark side. Also, the fact that the political scenes were deleted seems to be a weird truncating of the political vein the PT always had, which I feel helps differentiate it from the CT and is one of the more important characteristics it had because it helps explain a lot of the background stuff that the CT didn't focus on in order to go to the action.

However, although I do think that the scenes that made it into the theatrical release of RotS are necessary, I agree too that they should've tweaked the editing a lot more. The balcony scene I feel is necessary because it's one of the rare breather scenes before everything went down the crapper and helped establish just why Anakin was ready to throw everything away. However, the exchange did go on for a bit too long so perhaps cutting down a bit on the dialogue (not doing away with it completely) might tighten it up a bit. I'd actually rearrange the sequencing of the birth of the twins because it doesn't seem to make logical sense to me that the droid announced that Padme was failing against all medical sense and then it cuts to Padme giving birth, looking perfectly healthy except for the strain she was showing while giving birth. Even when you add in the EU explanation that Anakin's Force choke did microscopic damage to her trachea that the incompetent medical droids couldn't detect, it doesn't make sense with that sequencing because she was crying and could obviously speak without too much difficulty. So I feel like they should have placed that announcement from the droid AFTER she'd already given birth and let people decide for themselves if they think the strain of the birth did her in, the Force choke, or whatever other explanations were dreamed up. Although it can be argued that the medical droid's announcement could be cut altogether to make it even more ambiguous.

Now, in regards to stuff that didn't get filmed, I really wish that they had a way to get Liam Neeson into the schedule so they could film or record Qui-Gon Jinn talking to Yoda about what he learned about Force ghosting because I feel that the throwaway reference of Yoda telling Obi-wan about Qui-Gon is not as satisfying a resolution of the Force ghost thread they had been building since TPM. It would also help mirror Obi-Wan's Force ghost presence throughout the CT if Qui-Gon's presence held through all of the PT.

Of course, all of my suggestions still doesn't take away that I think RotS was the best of the PT and the culmination of everything they'd been building up with TPM and AotC but like with George Lucas and his incessant fiddling with the CT (this is another topic altogether though), I feel that RotS can also be improved upon in small ways to make it even more awesome.

24. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I would cut out Anakin entirely, so it looks like every single character is insane and all of the Jedi are killed by an invisible demon.

25. Skelter

Skelter Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    Every single scene with Anakin. lol...Ok, I am kidding. But I would cut the scene when Sidious killed the Jedi masters in less than 10 seconds. That's just dumb