main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Cafe Diem Baby: The Nintendo Wii U Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Apr 14, 2011.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    It would be nice to see World elements carry over to 3D, but I can't complain if they don't, given how much World influenced NSMBU.

2. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    If F-Zero is dead, at least it ended with
    Captain Falcon beating God!

3. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
  4. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    His body is ready, now it is up to Sakurai to decide whether he can join the roster.

darklordoftech likes this.
  5. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Do the events of Subspace Emissary mean anything for Master Hand?

6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, since the events of SSB is ostensibly playing with toys, there isn't necessarily a need to maintain continuity with Master Hand or ROB's overlord.

However, I fully believe that if they ever make another game based on ROB, it should include the SSE backstory, regardless. :)

7. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Of course there's no need, but will they anyway?

8. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    We'll know for sure closer to release.

9. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Another question: Does anyone else like how Smash 64 doesn't take itself seriously?

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    How so? The whole series is rather light hearted (likely a result of, or a reflection of, the "they're toys fighting" premise). Granted, Brawl had some seriously epic music, but other than that.

11. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Melee and Brawl present themselves as some epic battle between good and evil. Listen to Brawl's theme for example.

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Thats what I was referring to with the music comment.

13. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    there was also the color scheme

14. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Partly its the change in graphics. Arguably it could also be related to how the game industry was changing too. I vaguely remember Melee as a launch title for the Gamecube, so it was intended to show off the Gamecube's power. When the original Super Smash Brothers came out, it turned out unexpectedly awesome (I think), and is definitely one of the best multi-franchise crossovers ever and definitely one of the most famous. Well, short of Marvel vs. Capcom anyway, and I still haven't forgiven them for not including one Megaman in there (Zero doesn't count, especially that version). There's Jump Superstars and Super Robot Wars too, but we'll never see those in the West, too many licenses, whereas Smash Bros. is just NIntendo and a few guest stars, and Mega Man being in there is another huge plus too.

Playstation tried their own version and... it fell flat to say the least. The saddest thing is that they copied a lot from SSB, but the few different things they tried were stupid so that didn't help their game much. If they're going to rip off from SSB, might as well copy everything for a quality game (or an attempt at one).

I don't remember how the reception to the original Smash Bros. was before launch, but I still remember the original commercial-

Its so crazy, insane and yet so awesome. And not quite sure I'd call the original Smash Bros. cartoony graphics or that was just how the N64 worked. Although after that Smash Bros. basically became one of Nintendo's own flagship franchises, mostly independent of the rest of Nintendo's characters, so that changed expectations too, in terms of graphical quality.

Apparently there won't be a Subspace Emissary/story mode in the next one, which I'm slightly disappointed with (as some of the cutscenes were quite epic), but not too much, it was entertaining but wasn't a huge part of Brawl's appeal (not like the story was that great, especially with quite a few characters just showing up and joining suddenly). It did play up the epic good vs. evil, but I still miss the nostalgic original game where the game ended with just two action figures standing there like it was someone's room. Reading too much into Master Hand and Crazy Hand is too silly probably.

15. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    What are you referring to?
    Compare New Super Mario Wii's graphics to Brawl's graphics. And look at the box art for original Smash.

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Random awesomeness discovered:

Not sure how i missed this last year.

17. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    That was pretty awesome.

I really miss Star Fox. I was just thinking the other day that if all goes well for Platinum Games regarding the Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta 2 that hopefully they be given the chance to work on Star Fox or an Infinite Space-esque title for the system.

Speaking of wishful thinking, there was an underrated title on the Wii called Endless Ocean 2: Adventures of the Deep (It gets nothing but high praise from me). I was thinking how stunning a title like that would be on the Wii U if built from the ground up and how they could take advantage of the gamepad for it. It be great if Arika is planning for another one.

18. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I rarely ever played Star Fox, but that is indeed awesomeness.

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Check out the guy's channel- he did an updated version of the video I embedded above with the SNES pilot portraits and N64 comm chatter added in. He's also done versions of the MM2 and ChronoTrigger intros, among others, as well as a Contra homage.

Though none are as epic as that Star Fox one. The Arwing felt very powerful in that video- it usually doesn't have that sense of weight to it a lot of the games.

It's a credit to the video that it actually made me believe the original game did that wild side-angle with the camera after launch. I had to double check a video of the game to verify it wasn't the case (though there are some horizon angles one could argue the video accentuated/exaggerated to evoke the feeling of them).

EDIT- It also finally allowed me to figure out what the SF launch announcer was saying. All these decades I thought he was saying "Emergency! Emergency! Any and all Arwing Fighters, prepare for launch!" but he's actually saying "Emergency! Emergency! Incoming enemy fighters! Prepare for launch!.

Plus, bonus points for using the original promotional puppet depictions. I've always loved that original Fox design over more modern revisions. I still dream of a Henson Company-produced Star Fox film (or series) combining puppets and CGI ala Farscape.

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Looks like a Zelda TWW HD Wii U bundle is forthcoming (if it has a Trifroce on it... I just might... no, I can't afford a second Wii U! Bad Quest! Bad!).

Also, Sonic Lost Worlds is going to have a special edition featuring NiGHTS in Dreams content.

Corellian_Outrider likes this.
  21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    So the Zelda Wii U bundle has been announced for Sept 20th (TWW HD doesn't hit by itself until Oct 4th!).

The price of the bundle and the regular Deluxe sets (starting sept 20th also) will be... $299.99! Priced top, baby!

Oh, also, the Zelda bundle will include a digital download of Hyrule Historia as well.

EDIT- Apparently TWW HD game isn't a physical pack-in with the bundle but rather a digital download as well.

EDIT 2- Release Dates for the rest of the year:
    (I've noted prices of titles with announced prices lower than $59.99)

9/15: The Wonderful 101
    9/20 (digital): The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD ($49.99)
    10/4 (retail): The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD ($49.99)
    10.25: Wii U Party (bundled with a black Wii Remote Plus; $49.99)
    11/22: Super Mario 3D World
    12/6: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze ($49.99)
    "Holiday": Wii Fit U
    "Holiday": Mario and Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Games

3rd Party Releases: Scribblenauts Unmasked, Skylanders: Swap Force, Sonic: Lost World (exclusive), Call of Duty: Ghosts, Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, Watch Dogs, "and more".

22. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    There is a special edition of the TWW HD that includes a statue of Ganondorf!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The2ndQuest likes this.
  23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    A shame it couldn't have been a spoilery statue of Link stabbing the Master Sword into him... now THAT I couldn't resist.

24. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    That would be epic if they did that.
    It looks like the arms are posable judging by the seem at the shoulders... and now I can't help but think that statue of Ganondorf really needs Link and Zelda as companion pieces.

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, that's the thing- it's missing something. like, if it had the giant bird behind him, it'd be amazing.

Although maybe they plan to have a deluxe version of ALBW with Tetra/Zelda, and save a Link piece for the next Zelda game...