main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Favorite space battle?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Feelicks, Feb 19, 2013.

?

Best space battle in the saga?

1. Battle of Yavin (A New Hope)

23.7%
  2. Hoth Asteroid Field Chase (The Empire Strikes Back)

6.1%
  3. Battle Of Endor (Return Of The Jedi)

49.1%
  4. Battle Of Naboo (The Phantom Menace)

1.8%
  5. Battle Over Coruscant (Revenge Of The Sith)

38.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. vinsanity

vinsanity Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2013
    Space Battle over Endor, hands down, still the best space battle in a movie ever. Although my favourite space scene is the Asteroid scene in ESB which i wouldn't qualified as a space battle, more like a space chase

xezene likes this.
  2. Kenobi098

Kenobi098 Jedi Knight star 1

May 8, 2013
    Yavin,

As others have mentioned the fact that it does not intercut with a ground battle and/or a lightsaber duel like the TPM and ROTJ space battles due makes me feel much more invested in it, in the other two I am always more interested in the duels going on. I am also partial to the fact that its almost completely dogfighting with some ground fire at that ships as opposed to ROTS and ROTJ which feature capital ships, though finally seeing those fire off broadsides at each other in ROTS was great. ROTS would be my second fav as it is so dense action wise that you can find something new and interesting nearly every time you watch is amazing considering the film was released 8 years ago.

thebeanpole likes this.
  3. thebeanpole

thebeanpole Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 11, 2013

I totally agree. I always found that scene incredible, especially when one realizes that the opening shot alone is well over a minute long.

4. Kenobi098

Kenobi098 Jedi Knight star 1

May 8, 2013
    And ILM threw everything into to it including according to the DVD commentary the Kitchen sink which hits one of the ships in the shot.

5. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    The Battle of Coruscant always was too dense for me, and just is exhausting for me. And seriously, I don't care if a ship goes down in that battle. ROTJ though- the stuff of legends.

6. thebeanpole

thebeanpole Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 11, 2013

Wow! That's hilarious, didn't know about that.

7. Poor Greedo

Poor Greedo Jedi Master star 2

Nov 6, 2012
    Ill never forget when the deathstar II caught the rebels offguard and blasted that BIG ship! Lando and Nien were both rocked by the explosion. What ship was that, anyway?

8. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    According to the novel, that ship was named Liberty. It's generally accepted to be one of the medium-sized Mon Calamari cruisers.

Poor Greedo likes this.
  9. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    I don't have a favorite battle. The space battle scenes in all of the movies were never the high points of the saga for me.

10. CaptainHamYoyo

CaptainHamYoyo Jedi Master star 2

Aug 18, 2011
    Agreed. I still voted for Yavin(I've stated earlier due to the space battle being the only thing going on), but I like Endor better than Coruscant, and I agree about not caring what ship goes down there.

With Endor you have Lando and Nein Numb in the Falcon, Wedge, Admiral Ackbar, General Madine, and pretty much the entire Rebel fleet. We're invested into the fate of these characters. Their defeat would mean the end of the Rebel Alliance.

With Coruscant, there's Obi Wan, Anakin, and R2, but their action moves pretty quickly from space to Greivous' flagship. Everyone else is a nameless clone(except Oddball) or Republic officer, who if any weren't killed in this battle, would soon become an evil Imperial.

Maybe that's another reason I like Yavin better(and Hoth, even though its not a space battle), we knew the Rebel pilots names: Luke, Wedge, Biggs, Porkins, Red Leader(Garven Dreis), Tiree, Dutch and Zev, Dak, Hobby, Jansen. It was more personal, and we cared what happened to them.

Same with the Jedi in the PT. a) they're the good guys(where we knew the clones ultimately won't be) and b) they had names. We knew they were all going to die, but we still cared about them.

That's where the Clone Wars cartoon got it right to make us care more about the clones. They were no longer nameless, faceless soldiers. They were given names, individual looks underneath their helmets, personalities(Dee Baker is a genius).

Anyway I strayed a little from the main topic, but just stating why I felt the space battles in the OT were more effective than Coruscant. Just cared more about the secondary and background characters.

Sarge and Poor Greedo like this.
  11. Poor Greedo

Poor Greedo Jedi Master star 2

Nov 6, 2012
    Great points!!

That wizards just a crazy old man.

CaptainHamYoyo likes this.
  12. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    I always enjoyed the Battle over Coruscant in RotS. The war drums playing in front of Binary Sunset as the camera pans over the top of the Venator really sets off a show for the height of the Clone Wars. It's images like these that make you realize why Luke makes such a big deal about his father having served in the War.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  13. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Battle over Coruscant

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  14. Jedi Zaven'than

Jedi Zaven'than Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 12, 2013
    Battle over Coruscant
    It had some of the best CGI of all the movies, and the way ROTS opens like dinos4ever said, is great.

Battle of Endor
    This is the best space battle of the OT IMHO because so much stuff is happening and the infamous "It's a trap" is classic.

15. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The battle of Coruscant has the best opening minute.
    In the Battle of Yavin when Vader tells his wingmen "Several fighters have broken off from the the main group, come with me" or something like that, that whole scene is incredible.