main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Tatooine: difference between PT and OT

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by General Immodet, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I think there's references to podracing having finally stopped on Tatooine- and as a result, Mos Espa going into a decline.

DarthBoba likes this.
  2. vinsanity

vinsanity Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2013
    It kinda looks the same to me.

3. Darth Ridiculis

Darth Ridiculis Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 15, 2013
    I noticed the blue sky had a slightly different shade to it. Also the banthas had slightly longer hair on their lower back legs in the Original Trilogy.

Sarge and kainee like this.
  4. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    I think the one thing that's consistent throughout the series is that no one's ever happy to be going to Tatooine. Ever.

Aside from the general negative vibe, I'd say it's always looked pretty worn. The main difference between the OT and PT is that we see more people going about their lives in the prequels.

5. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Actually, PT banthas are skinnier.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  6. Darth Ridiculis

Darth Ridiculis Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 15, 2013
    Only in the original DVD versions. Their eye color and weight were altered for the blu ray release. Also see: the length of Yoda's toenails.

7. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Seriously?

Darth Binky likes this.
  8. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Agreed. TPM shows Tatooine in it's prime, before the rule of the Empire, when the pod races were bringing in millions of credits to the economy. Not to mention The Tatooine we see in the PT is Mos Espa a more vibrant place than Luke's area/Jabba's Palace or Mos Eisley.

9. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Tatooine seems exactly the same in 4 episodes it was featured in. Never noticed any major differences from one episode to the next.

10. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Yea plus Cleig got his leg cut off by the Sand People

11. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

Nope. Not by a long shot.

12. Michael McKean

Michael McKean Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 5, 2013
    Likewise. The brutalities under the Hutts isn't too far from the firm grip of the Empire and the consequences it entailed.

13. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    It helped, I think, that Lucas introduced Tatooine to viewers with two robots aimlessly wandering a bare, alien landscape, and how even when he returned to Tatooine six years later in ROTJ, he briefly reprised the motif of roving mechanical nobodies, then shut out most of the light -- pulled the shutters on this world -- and probed its seedy underbelly with Jabba's lair. In ANH, truly "alien" characters were also held back until the cantina, forcing viewers to wait a while until they had a truly visceral confrontation with the bizarre. The prequels very quickly bring us into a Tatooine with a busy skyline and an assortment of shambling ne'er-do-wells, creeps, and misfits, taking us into a fully- and semi-literal bazaar (bizarre) inhabited by human, droid, and alien alike. There are the sounds of vehicles, roaming beasts, bartering, and music. It's much more of a circus-like world. The Tatooine of AOTC is more stripped-down, mostly, but the first scene still very much has the same quality as establishing scenes in TPM. Spending more time in the outskirts really makes a difference to the perceived tone of the planet. And, of course, Lucas had more sophisticated technology at his disposal in the PT. Tatooine in each trilogy, then, feels both familiar and new. It seems that this was intended more than "accidental". People might overstate these differences at times; but at other times, I think they're grossly understated. Pallies and oranges.

14. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    I think a lot of the difference has to do with setting. In the PT, we spend a lot more in Mos Espa and see a lot more of the city's shops, slave quarters, market places, the podrace arena, space ports, etc. In the OT, we see 4 total populated locations of the entire planet: the Lars Homestead, Mos Eisley streets (which were pretty hustle and bustle), the cantina (pretty hustle and bustle), and the spaceport.

Darth Binky likes this.
  15. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    Same Planet, Same Family.

16. PMT99

PMT99 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 23, 2000

Except, the Empire didn't exist, Darth Vader used to be Anakin Skywalker, and Tatooine wasn't violent or hostile during the prequel timeline (unless you run into Tusken Raiders).

17. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    How was it any less violent during the PT? Jabba the Hutt was still there, podracing was about exploding, and slave kids would sometimes be kidnapped by creepy old guys.

18. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Because they sold fruit in the market, and robot rickshaws.

Is that all we really have for an argument?

Andy Wylde likes this.
  19. PMT99

PMT99 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 23, 2000

Jabba's too lazy to threaten anyone, any sport can be just as dangerous as podracing, and if the "creepy old guys" turned out to be Jedi, then I would gladly let them have my kid if that's the only way to free him from slavery. Anyways, Tatooine is less violent in the PT because there aren't any farmsteads burning, no charred skeletons, no wanted fugitives with "death sentences on 12 systems" attacking people for no reason, nor are there military soldiers shooting at anyone. Aside from Shmi Skywalker being kidnapped and tortured to death by sandpeople, nothing bad ever happens on Tatooine during the prequel era.

20. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Apart from:
    - slavery, and;
    - organised crime having control of the entire planet.

Hardly an ideal situation. It simply isn't a very nice place, in either the OT or PT. It's not really meant to be anything else.

As I pointed out earlier in this thread, we just happen to see different cities on Tatooine in the PT as opposed to the OT. There's no contradiction or disparity in the portrayals of the planet in each trilogy.

Andy Wylde and FRAGWAGON like this.
  21. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    Visit PT Tattooine for the Hutts & Slaves, Stay for the kidnapping and torture!