main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canderous and Cade's Crazy Cantina: a shiny new fanfiction social thread!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Commander-DWH, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I thought I said this days ago, but congrats, Bri! That's awesome!

(I think work is making me lose my mind! I keep thinking I've done something and I haven't. :rolleyes: )

I love the smell of a campfire, but I can see how that might not be the best smell, Trak. Hopefully it wasn't old pressure treated lumber... that's not a good idea.

2. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I have no idea what kind of lumber it was. All I know is that my clothes smelled like a junk fire.

3. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Pressure treated wood in a campfire is comparably as healthy as BBQing food or roasting marshmallows over a citronella candle.

4. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I had thrown branches and timber into the fire, but my half-brother wanted to burn that junk wood. Thus far, no one's suffered any ill effects, and the most I've noticed were my clothes smelling bad.

5. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    So, kinda funny story about citronella. My older sister is HIGHLY allergic to it. She was at this church camp in the middle of no where when she was like 14 and the leader decided to start a fire using citronella oil. Needless to say my sister got extremely ill and had to be rushed to the hospital.

Okay, so maybe it wasn't funny for her.

6. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I can't stand the way citronella smells. It burns my nose and throat, so when anyone has a citronella candle lit, I'm as far away from it as possible. Of course, I get eaten by insects, then.

7. EmeraldJediFire

EmeraldJediFire Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2012
    SO I have a job, it's a long term temp one, but a job

8. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    Congrats! =D=

9. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012

Thanks. I'm so nervous right now.

10. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    I tried to roast a marshmallow over a three-wick candle one time (I was pretty young)... not a good idea! :p

Congrats on the job, EJF!! Sometimes temp jobs turn into long-term jobs! :D

11. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012
    That's what I've been told.

12. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I suppose now is the appropriate time to admit that I didn't simply pull the "roasting marshmallows over a citronella candle" scenario out of nowhere. I was young and Irish and lived in the inner city... what do I know about camping? It was like a small, convenient personal fire. [face_plain]

13. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Congrats EJF!

On the weekend, my family's campfire plans got squashed by an epic thundershower, but my sister (she's 22) really wanted to roast marshmallows. So she did, with a chopstick, over the stove. They actually turned out quite nicely.

So I was checking my schedule for the upcoming semester to see who my profs were and I kinda want to facepalm. I'm a history major, but the history department at my uni is in shambles. There are only 2 history profs for this year (one of who is the bane of my existance) because somehow the uni let the other 4 go on leave. Anyways, so my historiography prof is actually a philosophy prof (yeah, I wasnt exactly looking forward to that class anyways) and my Chinese History prof is a political science prof. It could be worse, at least they didn't cancel the classes, but if things don't change, I may have to finish my degree elsewhere.

14. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I'm down to only a few pages in my sketchbook. I need a new one, stat! I'd order one online, but I like to be able to feel the paper texture, first. I'm picky and I prefer a smoother surface, and ordering online doesn't allow me to touch the interior pages.

15. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    That's crazy, Bri... Hopefully they know something about those subjects at least! 8-}

I've been putting off going to the DMV for quite some time, but I absolutely have to go tomorrow, and I am not looking forward to it. [face_sigh] I can't drive my car until I do it as I got busted with an expired registration. Oops! [face_blush]
    I don't actually drive my car all that often, mostly to work when I work the weekends/holidays (there is no where to park during the week) which allows me to sleep half an hour later and get home half an hour later over taking public transportation.

16. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I still need to go to the DMV to get the driver's handbook to study. I was studying from my sister's that was 8 years old. They update it every year. I could probably pass the test with the old one, but they LOVE to trip you up with needless info.

The Chinese History class is China's 20th century history, focusing on the political history, so it makes sence to have a poli-sci teacher do it. Why in the world they got a philosophy teacher to do histography, I have NO idea. We were hoping for a grad or PHD student for it, but no such luck.

I find that there are some things that you just shouldn't order online. Paintbrushes being one of them. I ordered a fairly large set for fairly cheap, and I should have know. I can't even use them - they are that horrible. The hairs just fall out of them, far beyond what is average.

17. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    That is the only thing that is really nice about living in a small, small town. The longest line I have ever seen at the DMV is two people.

18. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012
    I feel like crushing someone right now, don't worry its none of you. Its a smart mouth reviewer on FF.N that told me that...Star Wars the Parody (or the movie itself can't remember) was garbage and told me to tone down the profanity.

Usually I don't respond but I wasn't about to let it go (and he called me a sick person so I definitely wasn't letting it go)

my response:

So I came upon this review...

Let me make a few things clear

1) Spaceballs has profanity, taking it away would destroy the flow
    2.) no one is holding a gun to your heard and forcing you to read it
    3.) I don't care whether you think its garbage or not.

Have a nice day

JediMaster_Jen likes this.
  19. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    But you are that person's FAVORITE writer! Did you notice that? :p Did you read his or her's profile? What a nut job.

20. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012
    I'm not sure why I take it you saw the review
    Sent from my LG-C800 using Tapatalk 2

21. Padawan4687

Padawan4687 Jedi Master star 5

Jul 10, 2010
    *hovers at the doorway, but smiles at the sight of several familiar faces*

Hello! This would be my first time looking in a FanFiction-centered social thread. I am an aspiring writer though, so this place should be fun! :)

22. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    I saw it too. That guy is a little crazy. :) Maybe a lot crazy!
    Join right in, we're a friendly group I think. :)

23. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012

I'm wondering if he did it because I blocked him.

24. Padawan4687

Padawan4687 Jedi Master star 5

Jul 10, 2010
    You guys seem friendly enough! :)

I actually wanted to ask for advice about fanfictions, since I'm not sure how to handle this plot bunny of mine...

It's basically about a roleplay character meeting it's creator face-to-face. But that would be like an insert story, which a lot of people don't seem to like. Is there a way to make an insert in a way that won't have people shouting "Mary-sue"?

25. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Rather than the actual author, make a character that is loosely based on the author. Use only aspects of that author's personality, and nicknames help, too. Author insert can be done without it coming off as blatant, but it is a very fine line to tiptoe along.

For some reason, Doctor Who comes to mind, though I may simply be thinking of Davros and the Daleks. There's an angle you can explore, though. Rather than the author being the creator of the character in terms of literary creation, have the author be the actual creator, treat the author as though they had grown the character in a vat. Take it along a Frankenstein route, as that should help the story from becoming too... meta?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.