main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is there any kind of music you would absolutely NOT want to hear...

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Darth Valkyrus, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    ..in a SW show? This could apply to anything I guess... Tv series, movies et al. Are there music styles that you feel would take you out of the show or strain your suspension of disbelief?

Like if there was (for example) death metal or hip hop or hardstyle, or punk rock in a SW production at some point would it turn you right off?

How about softer atmospheric rock... Pink Floyd type stuff. I'd actually love something like that, though again it might not be for everyone.

Thoughts?

2. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Dub step, metal, most things that aren't orchestrated by John Williams...

3. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    No Death Metal, No Screamo, No Rap, No Bieber, Cyrus, Gomez, No Timberlake, No Gaga,

ONLY JOHN WILLIAMS MUSIC

kthxbai

4. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
  5. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013
    Yeah, I was put off by the rockish stuff in the TCW movie. Star Wars appeals to people with far too many varied musical tastes to bring anything but classical sounds into the picture. I mean, I could see using atmospheric instrumental stuff by a band like Mogwai, but I also recognize that plenty of people wouldn't want that.

What I do love, though, are good in-universe styles. The original Cantina Band idea was genius: a swing tune with different instrumentation. The very Asian-subcontinental music in Hondo's club is also great.

6. Mr. Atom Bomb

Mr. Atom Bomb Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 3, 2012
    I'm pretty much alright with anything moderately orchestral in nature. Really anything that can both fit the mood of the current visual atmosphere and still create a feel of "holy **** this is epic right here" certainly belongs in SW.

That being said, I would absolutely hate to hear any songs with easily recognizable lyrical content, regardless of how well they would fit a situation or how "epic" they are. I just hate when TV shows or movies become overly protracted music videos, and the ability to potentially sing along really breaks my immersion.

Circular Logic likes this.
  7. Darth Valkyrus

Apr 12, 2013
    What if they brought in some other top tier soundtrack composer to score Rebels or Underworld, someone who might widely be regarded as at the same level as John Williams, but is not the man himself?

People like Hans Zimmer, James Horner, Howard Shore etc.

Would that annoy you?

Personally I think it could be quite cool. Especially Zimmer. But to each his own.

8. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013
    I must admit, as much as I'm all for John Williams returning for VII, I was also very curious to hear what Giacchino would've done with Star Wars. That said, I doubt big names are much of a possibility.

Actually, I'd really love it if Mark Griskey, Gordy Haab, and the people who did the TOR soundtrack would get in on Star Wars TV. The way they turn minor transitional bits from the film scores into full motifs is amazing...

Apophis_ likes this.
  9. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    As long as it's not ridiculously out of place, I'm fine with non-John Williams type music.

TX-20 and Ani501st like this.
  10. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012
    Yeah, there's been plenty of non-orchestral music associated with Star Wars. The animated "Droids" series had rock music, and a theme pop song (performed by Stewart Copeland of The Police). The finale that's now instead of the Yub Nub song is synthesizer and bass guitar (as far as I can tell). The 2D CW microseries had synthesizer music. Not to mention, the pop song in Jabba's palace (either original or revised music).

Togruta likes this.
  11. Darth Valkyrus

Apr 12, 2013
    IIRC in one of the Hutt establishments seen in TCW there was an actual DJ, spinning something reminiscent of turntables.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  12. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    You're right; this guy was DJing at the Hutt Council's palace at Nal Hutta in Hunt for Ziro. The ambient music in Hutt establishments (be it something like "Lapti Nek" or even "Jedi Rocks") are as much a part of Star Wars as John Williams music.

[​IMG]
    DJ, spin that Sithspit!

Mia Mesharad and Count Yubnub like this.
  13. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009
    For some reason after seeing the above pick I have Intergalatic by the Beastie Boys stuck in my head

14. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012
    I only know that song as part of one of Weird Al's polka medleys.

15. Darth Valkyrus

Apr 12, 2013
    It's always bad when you only know the Weird Al version of a song.

Unless the original is by Justin Bieber or such like.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  16. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    I think there's room for different styles of music, in-universe, as in being performed by the characters (it can really set the scene), but as far as the OOU musical score, nothing beats John Williams, of course, and even if John isn't a part of a particular production, I'd prefer that orchestral music remain the de-facto SW sound.

Does that make any sense? The distinction I was trying to make there?

17. Sandtrooper92

Sandtrooper92 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 31, 2013
    I hate Pink Floyd. Just glad punk rock kicked them down the stairs.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

18. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Oh, I certainly agree. I was obviously not referring to the OOU music, but the ambient IU music, like you said. When discussing OOU music, I definitely prefer orchestral, like what Mr. Atom Bomb said. Kiner's Season 5 works are a good reflection of the styles I prefer to see. And I definitely agree that nothing beats John Williams music for Star Wars, but I highly doubt the man himself will personally score the soundtrack for a television series, which is why other names are being bandied about. I think as long as the OOU score invokes JW, it'll please me. Ideally, something that can send chills down your spine when you hear it...

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  19. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
  20. Sandtrooper92

Sandtrooper92 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 31, 2013
    God Save the Queen. We mean it man.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  21. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    I don't want anything other than classical music.

TCW's S1 droids duology has some horrific stuff.

KenobiSkywalker likes this.
  22. Darth Valkyrus

Apr 12, 2013
    What about the Imperial March Rage Mix? From the menu screen of Star Wars: Force Commander.

23. Backbench Jedi

Backbench Jedi Jedi Youngling

Sep 2, 2013
    Exclude anything by any reasonably famous band.

24. TheMDOSS1313

TheMDOSS1313 Jedi Master star 1

Sep 8, 2013
    If it doesn't sound like John Williams or something similar to it, then no thank you.
    Star Wars has a very unique sound and should be retained.

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  25. Ani501st

Ani501st Jedi Padawan star 3

Mar 18, 2013
    Death Metal is a kind of music I do not want to hear in star wars, it does not fit for me, not because I do not like the death metal but because it is not something that fit in the universe of SW.
    Actually, I think musics like there are in Oblivion would sound perfect in a universe like star wars.It is not the kind of music that J.J.Abrams or Filoni ( SW VII or Rebels ) use but they should think about it and ask Joseph Kosinski.