main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena 2024-25 NCAA Football Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthPoppy, Nov 16, 2006.

1. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    This Johnny thing is another reason why NFL is 1000 times better than NCAA football.

2. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    I am very confused by UCLA being ranked.

3. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Has anyone ever hear of a half game suspension before? I know a team has done it, but from a governing body? It just sounds wussy!

4. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Is it possible that Manziel told the NCAA something to the effect of "Yes, I signed the autographs, but no, I had no idea they were going to be sold?" and while the NCAA has concrete proof that he did sign the autographs, they may not have anything definitive that says he had knowledge of true nature of the autograph signings/took a piece of the profits for the autographs. Given this is the NCAA, it would seem that they were more looking at whether Manziel profited from the signings rather than whether the signings themselves were wrong, and not having that evidence, this was sort of a compromise, so that the school gets what they want (Manziel playing without fear of having to forfeit games down the line), Manziel gets what he wants, which is to play after the first half of the season opener and the NCAA gets some form of punishment so to speak.

5. Sandtrooper92

Sandtrooper92 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 31, 2013
    GIG EM!

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

6. ma_petite

ma_petite Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2006
    Do I detect a fellow Aggie?

Mobile sock of s65horsey

7. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    Double post, but this article makes the Manziel thing make more sense.

So the NCAA basically uncovered about a decade's worth of offenses from every major player in College ball over those years. They would've either had to vacate almost, if not, all the titles or give Manziel a slap on the wrist with the violation and a half game suspension. I don't know what they're going to do in the future to try to prevent this from happening (if they go that route). I also know that some of the complaints about him are sort of unfounded because his family is loaded. So he isn't some broke college student all of a sudden coming into money because he's receiving things he shouldn't be taking. His family can afford the car he drives and to send him to the sporting events he is showing up at.

8. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Sey ... up for a bet this season?

Higher final ranking in the AP for A&M or OSU?
    Who finishes higher in Heisman ballot between Manziel and Miller?
    Both?

9. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    I just scored last-minute free tickets to the North Carolina-South Carolina game tonight. :D

Let the battle of the Carolinas commence... and GO COCKS! [face_chicken]

10. Malthael

Malthael Jedi Master star 1

Sep 27, 2012
    Fedora is a good coach, and don't be shocked if UNC goes to a BCS game in a couple of years.

That said, Clowney is going to absolutely blow up tonight and show the world why a defensive player should at least be a Heisman finalist.

Rew likes this.
  11. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    You know I'm a sucker for a good bet so I'm in for both. What are we betting? A line in a sig? You having to claim VIPship for being an ex-mod? What said ex-mod title says?

12. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I'm game for any of those. Or, outside the box, if I lose both, I'll write you a one-shot story about how Corran Horn enrolled at Texas A&M, joined the football team, and helped them destroy Ohio State (or Texas ;)). You lose both, you come up with something equally creative. We split it, and I'll do a line in my sig or take VIP and a title of your choosing as an ex-mod for _____ time.

Sound good?

13. Sandtrooper92

Jul 31, 2013
    WHOOP!

14. Sandtrooper92

Jul 31, 2013
    65 yd post

15. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    The only person more awesome than Spurrier is Patrick Stewart.

16. darthtenbiscuits

darthtenbiscuits Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 7, 2001
    if you think Spurrier is awesome, you haven't seen him with his shirt off.

TahiriVeilaSolo69 likes this.
  17. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    As an avid reader of Deadspin and a resident of SC, I can say I have.

18. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Spurrier isn't even close to Sir Patrick's league. Not anywhere close. /Bitter Washington Fan.

heels1785 likes this.
  19. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000

I want to see that one-shot Corran Horn at Texas A&M story. Good luck, 'sey! :p

s65horsey likes this.
  20. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    I left the game early once the game got delayed due to lightning. It's funny, my dad (whom I'd invited to join me once I got free tickets) and I were making the very long walk back to our respective cars when we saw a shuttle, so we got on. A minute or two later, it starts pouring down rain. We finally get going, and wouldn't you know it, but the shuttle's first stop is right at our parking lot. What great luck!

Anyway, good game with a great outcome, 27-10 in favor of the real Carolina! [face_chicken] Our offense looked really sparked and ready, and both of our quarterbacks threw a touchdown on their first passing play each. I wasn't as impressed with our defense, however. We're really going to need to step up our defensive effort if we want to stand a ghost of a chance against Georgia between the hedges.

Thrawn1786 and heels1785 like this.
  21. Sandtrooper92

Jul 31, 2013
    I'm just now watching Vandy v Ole Miss on dvr Wow this is s great game.

22. Malthael

Sep 27, 2012
    I picked Vandy to win of course... can't believe that last-minute meltdown.

Ole Miss is a team to watch these next couple of seasons. They won't be the next Bama, but there's no reason to believe they won't be just as good as South Carolina or Georgia.

And oddly enough, I'm a Mississippi State student.

23. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Ole Miss has been good, though. They were as highly ranked as #3 in the country a few years ago under Houston Nutt, so there is some tradition there.

I am intrigued to see how tattered this UGA secondary is- Boyd will certainly test it, but I like UGA to beat Clemson. South Carolina knows how to win in Athens, I think they've got a good chance this year.

Rew likes this.
  24. Sandtrooper92

Jul 31, 2013
    Malt they aren't there yet. And I think you should be hating on them

25. Malthael

Sep 27, 2012
    Sand, I am not a native of MS, so that is my excuse.

They had a nice little run during the Eli years, but just couldn't maintain the success. Right now, there's a buzz about the Grove that hasn't been felt in decades. I know it's just one whopper of a recruiting class so far, but if they can repeat that effort this coming February, look out. Hugh Freeze might have a nice little thing going for him & the Rebel fans.

Call me crazy, but I wouldn't be surprised if Les Miles gets run out of town in the next 2 or 3 seasons. The guy obviously recruits with the best of them, but he's a complete bonehead on the field. The natives are getting restless now that the Tigers are firmly behind Alabama in the pecking order, and are in danger of being surpassed by Texas A&M. Now that Ole Miss has suddenly burst onto the scene, and if the Arkansas and Auburn hires are what their respective fan bases are hoping for, LSU could be left in the dust before too long.