main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books The Official Darth Plagueis Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Rogue_Follower, Jan 3, 2012.

1. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Is the entirety of the book unreliable narration?

2. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    He's gotta be one helluva liar if he can deceive the 3rd person narration.:p

3. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    He is one helluva liar. He could deceive god.

4. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    He didn't deceive Plagueis.

5. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    yes he did (ST aside)

6. TheJediBrah

TheJediBrah Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 6, 2013
    wait wut? Is this a Sequel Trilogy spoiler?

7. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    Just finished it.

Jimmy boy is a big fan of What's the Story? entries and Galactic Battlegrounds, it seems.

I aint complaining.

8. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Darth Plagueis? More like Darth Plagiarised! Geddit, geddit?

9. Sable_Hart

Sable_Hart Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2009
    This book hasn't held up that well on subsequent rereads. Really disappointed by it. Still better than Revan or the Bane trilogy, though.

10. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Yeah, I feel the same. I was caught up in the hype, and my opinions were prejudiced by what I hoped it would be. It feels like more of a sourcebook than a novel; all the action is in referenced events. And, it certainly undermines Palpatine as a character, which doesn't sit well with me. Definitely not Luceno's finest.

Sable_Hart likes this.
  11. Sable_Hart

Nov 28, 2009
    I like you.

The Dark Lord is meant to be glorified, not undermined. Mr. Luceno's heresy must not go unaddressed!

[​IMG]

12. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    No.

Some is, but quite a bit isn't.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  13. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

Mar 3, 2005
    Yeah, all of the Pax Teem stuff is original.

14. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Eh? Ehhh? No action?

Sure, Ysanne. Hide behind that simulator. I'm sure it lets you sleep easier at night.

[​IMG]

15. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

Mar 3, 2005
    Pestage is the Kerim Bey of the Sith, basically.

I actually laughed out loud at the bit where he cracks wise at Veruna, Veruna has a sook and tells Palpatine to keep his boy in line, and so Palpatine turns around and gives Pestage "a look that said nothing".

16. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    I think Palpatine can stand some undermining, considering his other depictions seem to bestow an infinite and unerring capacity to manipulate absolutely everything, everywhere, forever. He was, ultimately, a fallible man, with a politician's sense of opportunism.

Of Luceno's books I've only read Labyrinth of Evil, Dark Lord and Darth Plagueis. I thought LoE and DL:TRoDV were pretty terrible (but standard for EU books), while Plagueis had some literary flair to it. It had some depth. I could sense the passion, and it felt like he'd spent quality time writing it. So many EU books feel like rushed novelisations, written by numbers and to the word count half a day before the deadline. I think I said at the time that DP read like a 'proper' novel. Looking back, it's at least as heavily reference-laden as any other EU book, but there's a richness of language and some actual surprises and real twists that seemingly can't appear in most other EU stories.

I admit I'm not at all well read when it comes to the pre-TPM stories, so a lot of references flew over my head (though I did notice some KJA Sith characters, yuck). I take JackG's point about it reading like a sourcebook in places, but that's the curse of writing around these characters in an EU book. I think Luceno dealt with the EU jobbing aspects better than most. Nothing in the story felt jarringly shoehorned to fit the continuity, and the continuity didn't feel too shoehorned into the story either.

I might change my mind after a re-read. As I say, the other two books of his I've read were, IMHO, a bag of *****.

17. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

Mar 3, 2005
    With a notable exception being the "I'm on Dathomir for no good reason and oh look a tattooed baby kthxbai."

V-2 likes this.
  18. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Even Palpatine needs a vacation.

purplerain likes this.
  19. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

Mar 3, 2005
    That's what Zaarin thought anyway.

My idea of Palpatine's vacation is that bit in Empire at War where he goes to Bothawui or some such and just KILLS EVERYTHING.

Either that or he's loitering on Byss, fiddling with himself.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  20. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    *is puzzled as to how Palpatine is undermined in this book...

21. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    "Your aide seems to have forgotten his place, Senator!"

22. Sable_Hart

Nov 28, 2009
    I think it all comes down to whether or not you believe Palpatine's rant to Plagueis at the end of the book.

Jedi Merkurian and purplerain like this.
  23. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    I read the book, then I went back and re-read that convo between Plagueis and Sidious about the Clone Wars and Order 66. It is VERY subtly done, but yes, Sidious does play his teacher like a fiddle.

24. Sable_Hart

Nov 28, 2009
    Yeah, Sidious definitely comes up with the strategy for Order 66 and the Clone Wars. But he also takes credit for things like Dooku, Kamino, etc. that I believe all originated with Plagueis.

25. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    Mr. Damask did have access to Kamino, but wasn't really sure what to do about it. The closest he came was thinking about cloning an army of Yinchorri to sic on the Jedi. That he didn't catch Sidious was one-upping him, neutralizing a threat he might pose, and discrediting his plan by pre-emptively siccing the Jedi on the Yinchorri first (taking out two members of the Council in the process) is more evidence that he was getting played by his pupil.