main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit [Fantasy Flight Games] Because it just keeps getting better

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Loyal Imperial, Sep 7, 2012.

1. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Some of the Galaxies artists are now working for FFG, so I'm not surprised to see them showing up again.

2. jacktherack

jacktherack Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2008
    i just opened up my x-wing game i got for christmas and played a little bit, it's fairly complicated. also i looked on ffg's website and saw the expansions. 14.99 for a single ship is a bit much...

3. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Well, when a 100 point fleet is generally 3-6 ships, it's not bad. And if you buy online, you can find the ships for $10-$12

4. jacktherack

Mar 19, 2008
    considering i don't know anyone else who has the game so i'll have to buy all the ships for both squads, plus the fact that i got the game on sale for 27.99 and the millenium falcon ship alone costs 30 bucks.

5. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003

[​IMG]

cdgodin and The Loyal Imperial like this.
  6. jacktherack

Mar 19, 2008
    Calvin and Hobbes, always relevant . [​IMG]

7. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
  8. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Crickey!

Long-lost Separatist treasure ship AND ISB agents? WHY ISN'T THIS A BOOK ALREADY???

Seriously, they did it to Scourge!

9. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    As it turns out the treasure is really what I suspected - insanely hard to access ingots of precious metal and a hold full of now worthless Republic Credits

10. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    So, it's the GFFA equivalent of a treasure chest full of Confederate Money?

11. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

With the difference that Confederation money has insane collection value these days, whilst Republic credits are around in abundance, just not of any use any more ;)

12. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    I thought Republic credits were still valid currency under the Empire... it says this is true on the Wookieepedia page, which I know doesn't really mean much, but just because the government changed its name doesn't mean its currency is suddenly worthless.

13. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Got a Link? Because why would they beyond a certain day of forced exchange like it is normal with currencies?

14. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Galactic_Credit_Standard

"The Empire continued to use the credit, now called the Imperial Credit, as its main currency, and during the reign of Emperor Palpatine, there were few who would not accept it. Even the Alliance to Restore the Republic used it, along with their own Alliance Credit, as it was the most used and easiest-to-use currency in the galaxy."

15. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I would guess that the adventure should have more information, but my take would that physical currency dating prior to the establishment of the Empire may no longer by accepted as actual currency - although truly ancient or rare physical currency might be worth something as a collectors' item. (Republic credits from the Clone Wars probably wouldn't qualify).

16. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Just flipped over it when a friend brought it over, should get my own copy on Monday, afaik they were Republic Credits coins now said to be worthless because of the Empire and it using it's own Credit coins.

17. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Just strikes me as strange that the Empire would needlessly mint a brand new currency even though it is the same government.

Did they have pictures of Jedi on the coins or something?

18. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Nothing needless about it, a new currency is one of the first things new governments often do, just to remind people that things are different now. Do a quick Google search on African currencies for example, it is pretty amusing how often many of those changed.

More likely a Republic symbol, whilst the Empires usually had the Emperor on it.

19. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    They probably had a period where one had to turn in any physical Republic credits into Imperial credits - virtual credits, of course, would continue unchanged, so only low-level criminal groups, smugglers, Republic loyalists etc. would be affected.

20. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Except the name of course ;) though accounts likely also used more local currencies as well. The CSA for example used an almost exclusively digital currency.

21. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Seems hugely wasteful not to accept Republic credits. Usually the way things go is that things are used but taken out of circulation whenever possible. Not using them at all -- what's the point? Causes massive loss of economic value for no good reason. That's asinine.

DigitalMessiah likes this.
  22. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    With currency reforms a date tends to be fixed when it will simply no longer be exchanged. French Francs for example officially became worthless last year, before that you could still exchange them for Euros and to this date some half a billion worth are still unaccounted for.

Give or take, Republic Credits were apparently never that popular beyond the Core anyway and people that would use them regularly would have them changed to the new money. Unaccounted for coins will of course be around but I doubt it will be on a gigantic scale, and there is enough examples of governments really just being that asinine, as Confederate State citizens or many of the people of the DDR for example discovered.

23. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    What's the date of that campaign?

24. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    I don't think they mentioned a specific date (as mentioned only got to flip through a friends copy, as mine has not arrived yet :( ), so I would guess same as Edge of the Empire -> a few weeks after the Battle of Yavin.

25. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
    Interesting on the currency discussion, I would find it hard to believe that Republic credits were immediately invalidated once the Empire came into being. I would guess as mentioned above that there was some sort of grace period.

I also found it very interesting looking through wookieepedia just now, that Republic worlds like Corellia, Drall and Ithor had their own currencies. I have always suspected that Republic worlds would retain their own currency/economic independence and would mainly use Republic credits for inter-planetary trade.