main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming It Printed Money! In 3D! The Nintendo DS/2DS/3DS/N3DS/Mobile Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Jan 9, 2004.

1. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    And? :p The point is the name is dumb. We can debate the technicality of it for ages, but the fact that it's called 2DS is pretty silly.

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    It's kinda silly, but it does denote it being an inferior/lower-level device than the 3DS while still being a superior device to the DS. And my general point was that it doesn't have to be read as "2 Dual Screen" but rather could be read as "2-Dimensional Screen" to make more literal sense if one must.

3. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    I'm aware of both readings, that's my point - it just boggles my mind that Nintendo isn't just rebranding this as the baseline DS.

4. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I think they'd have trouble there, though- you'd have two things called "DS" (there's still plenty of DSi and DSi XL stock out there)- one can play 3DS games and the other cannot. Plus some parents would assume it's just a different design of the DS system their kids already have (and, thus, would be less inclined to consider it as a purchase/upgrade) instead of an upgraded platform. It makes sense to have the branding be associated with the 3DS and not the DS.

And it's not like they could call it a "3DS-SP" or something, because then you have the "Wait, it's a non-3D 3DS?"

One thing is for certain- this is the generation of brand-confusing hardware: 2DS, Wii U, PSV, XB1... ;)

07jonesj likes this.
  5. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    Ahh, but the DSi is called the DSi!

6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    ...which kinda looks like a "1".... ;)

7. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    This is officially the most inane conversation ever :p

The2ndQuest likes this.
  8. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Good thing you two have different icons - I thought Quest was talking to himself when I came in here this morning because of the similar colors.

9. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Not a fan of the name, if it's simply a new DS it should be DS2.

It think the idea of enabling people to buy something so they can play 3DS games cheaper is a good idea though. I know many who have a DS who don't want to spend money buying a 3DS or the XL model because they feel the only real difference is the 3D capability which they don't really care about. Many though are annoyed that they can't get up to date games since they are usually 3DS exclusive.

With the new Pokémon games coming out soon, what would have been a 3DS only game can now be played by all those who love the others in the series and want to carry on without having to worry about forking out and having a feature they don't want. It does give appeal to a certain market, shame it looks so odd though.

Penguinator likes this.
  10. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    Just remove the number from the name and it'll be totally fine!

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    You seriously want two different portable systems from back to back generations having identical names but different compatibilities and capabilities?

I keep telling the tech Admins to stop browsing the boards without images loaded, but do they listen? Nooo.....

12. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    I use Batman colours for my name - fistbump with Quest for similar colours, even if the reasons are different.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I went with a Star Wars opening scroll/logo intent. [​IMG]

Zeta1127 and Penguinator like this.
  14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    You know, it just occurred to me- the 2DS should have been a relaunch of the GameBoy brand. Gameboy DS, GameBoy Duo or something like that. Perfect for the target age of the device.

If not that, DSA: the DS Advance.

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  15. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    The2ndQuest: I had not thought of that, and now you've said it it does seem perfect.

16. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Plus it's like the GameBoy in that it open and not a clamshell design.
    Perhaps these days such a name is no longer marketable, the GameBoy was a bit too gender specific and didn't make it seem like it was designed with girls in mind. The DS line does not cause any problems with product names in that way.

The DSA would be good.

17. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    16+ year olds who are nostalgic for the handhelds of their youth?

I'm the first to defend the old Gameboys as legitimately fantastic hardware, having grown up with the various iterations of the system more or less permanently affixed to my hands, but the brand is Dickensian doornail dead. It might come back if the next handheld five years down the line from now has only one screen - but, on the flip side, Nintendo's really big now on maintaining at least one generation of backwards compatibility with its hardware, so I think it's more likely the DS brand is here to stay.

18. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    And you can still get classic GameBoy games on the Nintendo E-Shop should you still desire to play them and no longer have a console.

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, keep in mind the DS wasn't supposed to be a GB replacement. The brand is effectively only a generation inert because of that change in direction (it wasn't killed off until the DS finally found traction), so I would say those who could be nostalgic for it could still be as young as 9-10 years old.

But the nostalgic wasn't my point, which is that one of the reasons why the GB brand has remained inactive is because the name skewed younger whereas the DS does not. But since the 2DS is targeted at 4-7 year olds, that wouldn't be a problem AND it solves the naming confusion as well. You couldn't confuse GB-DS or DSA with either a GBA, DSi or 3DS the way a 2DS or "just a new DS" would.

I'm just saying it would have been a good opportunity to resurrect the brand. Sure, the speculation that the next GB would be a portable GCN as a DS companion/follow-up would have worked too, but since that didn't pan out (and assuming they don't have something else in the works for the GB brand), this would have worked well.

20. The Shadow Emperor

The Shadow Emperor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 29, 2012
    GUYS IT'S FINALLY HERE

THIS IS TOTALLY LEGIT
    Totally I guarantee it
    Seriously
    not really:_|

21. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Why the hell would you want a 1DS? You can't display the drawable map simultaneously with the gameplay if you do that.

22. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    That really would be a GameBoy

23. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I quite like that. It reminds me a lot of the GBA. Get some of the older single screen games on it and I can see it being quite good. Not sure it be much good with DS games though, or any good at all tbh.

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It wouldn't work with DS games- unlike the Wii U, they're designed with both screens being visible simultaneously in mind. However, it would be a cool update of the Super GameBoy or GameBoy Player concept if it was designed to supplement the GamePad as a screened Wii U controller that could stream retro titles.

Although if it was a clip-on screen to the Gamepad, maybe they could turn it into a DS player without the Tv functionality.

25. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Why not have the Wii U controller as the bottom screen and the TV as the top screen? That could work.

I have exciting news! Space Harrier is out this week! Not 100% sure of the dates but I think it's out in the UK on the 28th. I think it's out now in the US.