main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph One Thread To Rule Them All: The Rings of Power + The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings Trilogies

Discussion in 'Community' started by -Courtney-, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Bloat and overkill, particularly in the context of the current discussion, are extremely harsh terms. FotR was the best of the three, yes, but TTT and RotK are still absolutely brilliant. For me, there's only a sliver of daylight between FotR and RotK, with TTT sat a small distance behind.

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  2. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Dragons make most things work

3. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Which versions of the LOTR do you guys prefer?

Theatrical or Extended Editions?

4. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Extended. I've not watched the theatrical versions since I saw them in the cinema.

Random Comments likes this.
  5. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Extended Editions, no debate.

TTT in particular benefits hugely from the EE - at least Faramir's inexplicable character change makes sense in the EE.

Random Comments likes this.
  6. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012

And EE of ROTK fills in plot holes that was in the Theatrical version

And last time i saw the Theatrical versions was in theatres

7. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Extended Edition because more Middle Earth and stuff.

8. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    FOTR theatrical version. It's a nearly perfect fantasy film.

JoinTheSchwarz and Coruscant like this.
  9. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I suppose it depends on which EE it is.

I like them all, but I know added scenes in ROTK such as the Witch King vs Gandalf & Aragorn beheading the Mouth of Sauron do annoy some fans.

10. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Oh yes, both of those (Witch King destroying Gandalf's staff and Aragorn beheading Mouth of Sauron) are very annoying and wrong on a fundamental level.

11. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I remember seeing an early clip Gandalf riding through Minas Tirith and the Witch King arriving and liking it but was let down by the real thing. Another scene I can't stand is when Aragorn, Gimli and Legolas are traveling through the Paths of the Dead and Gimli keeps stepping on skulls or something. So pointless.

12. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    And the GREEN ECTOPLASM washing over Minas Tirith aaaaaaaaaarrrrghhhh!

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  13. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Witch King and Gandalf is a scene I don't like because I was just like, "well... is that it?" I didn't like the staff-breaking thing, but it's not just that, the fight could have been so much more. It was especially a letdown after seeing it in the previews for the theatrical version, but it was ultimately taken out of the theatrical cut, so we had to wait for this highly anticipated scene in the EE.

14. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    Especially considering that, in the end, all the tales of Middle-Earth are part of the Red Book of Westmarch, which is, as a trustworthy site says:
    So Jackson is merely doing what the Hobbits did in-story, which is to tell a continuous tale of the adventures surrounding the movements of the One Ring in the Third Age, thereby giving coherence to an otherwise fragmentary story.

Cheers,
    Lauré :)

Arawn_Fenn likes this.
  15. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Thing is, it wasn't supposed to be "much more". And the Witch King breaking Gandalf's staff was completely wrong, as the Witch King is merely a man-made-wraith, whereas Gandalf is a Maia, an incomparably more powerful being. Plus the staff-breaking didn't even make sense, because in no way did it diminish Gandalf's ability to fight (and he gets a new one at the end, anyway).

16. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Well, in that case, I wanted to see Gandalf open a good ole can of whoop-ass! :p

17. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    That wasn't really in his job description when he was sent to Middle-earth... :p

18. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012

Things can change :p

19. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Obviously, Gandalf should've attached a chainsaw to the end of his staff.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  20. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    There's nothing controversial about using those terms in context of Jackson's filmography, particularly in regards to AUJ and the latter LOTR films. It's not a new statement, and with the release of a three hour film based on a sliver of a children's book, the terms haven't become less relevant. When an hour of a film can be cut without any sacrifice from characterization or plot, there's something inherently wrong with the structure of the film itself. Say what you will about TPM, but there is more imagination and understanding of pacing, rhythm, and thematic construction in those two hours of film than anything Peter Jackson has directed since FOTR and arguably since Heavenly Creatures.

21. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Not necessarily.

All the Valar were losing to Morgoth's dragon army until Earendil and an army of humans showed up.

MercenaryAce likes this.
  22. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Yeah, the confrontation ended the same way in the book: Rohan shows up. Blame Tolkien for that one.

Summer Dreamer likes this.
  23. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Another good EE scene is when Aragorn gets owned by Sauron in the Palantir.

Aragorn is all like "behold my newly repaired sword of justice!" and so Sauron is all like "oh yeah, well behold your dead girlfriend!"

[​IMG]

24. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Yeah, that's another botched scene - in the books Aragorn pwned Sauron in the Palantír (at least, made him uncertain and wary).

25. Skywalker8921

Skywalker8921 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 9, 2011
    EEs without a doubt. I was so annoyed with the TC editions because Jackson left out the Kingdom of Arnor and the line of Anarion and added all that bunk about Isildur being the last King of Gondor before Aragorn. Irritated me no end. I know Jackson was trying to simplfy things a bit, but those omissions, especially in light of the fact that Denethor refers to Aragon as a Ranger from the North, are a little extreme. The EEs restored some of that material, thankfully.