main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit We need a novel about Tarkin

Discussion in 'Literature' started by FTeik, Aug 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    There's plenty of cases where novel statements get retconned by other, C-canon sources, even leaving aside that one.

In RoTJ, the novel states the DS2 is "nearly twice as big" as was the DS1- it ended up being more than 5x the diameter.
    In TPM, the novel states Darth Bane worked alone for a while after the death of all the other Sith, then recruited a male apprentice to carry on the Sith Order. In Jedi vs Sith, he recruits a female apprentice immediately after the Battle of Ruusan.
    In RoTS, the novel states the ship Bail Organa rescues Yoda in, was the Tantive IV- later sources say it was the Sundered Heart.

And so forth.

2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    A Tarkin novel set during the Dark Times would be good.

3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I agree. We've got books with bits of his story- but that's not the same as an entirely Tarkin-centric book.

4. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    What does Saxton have to do with this? Carrack crew is around 1000, ISD is 37000 give or take.

5. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    Cheeks and tongues, my friend.

6. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Oh it also happens with actual in movie stuff, the Executor is now for some reason no longer supposed to be a Star Destroyer even though she is called that in the movies, by both sides. [face_dunno]Whilst by leaving only the Leia comment about Alderaan's "weapons" in the movie it actually pretty much kills the ANH novel implications by Tarkin and Vader.

7. FTeik

FTeik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 7, 2000
    Actually both Han Solo and Emperor Palpatine refer to the Executor as "command ship" when not in the heat of battle/not being persecuted.

And in the same scene she tells, that the Rebel-Base is on Dantooine. Which we later learn is a huge pile of bantha dung. Makes you wonder, what else the Princess lied about ... . [face_liarliar]

8. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    She lied about smelling Tarkin all over the Death Star...

9. Jedifirefly5

Jedifirefly5 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 5, 2012
    Not interrested in reading gabout another rotten self centered Imperial. Mara and Thrawn were truly enough.

10. FTeik

FTeik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 7, 2000
    Considering how diversified the interests of the Tarkin were, I wouldn't be surprised, if they had a perfume-line somewhere between all their business-dealings:

Eau'de Tarkin! [face_rofl]

But Grandmoff Tarkin is the blueprint of the rotten, self centered Imperial. The original archetype. Mara and Thrawn are just copies.

General Immodet likes this.
  11. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Man, you people have done it. You have me imagining how Tarkin would smell. Not that bad, actually. And Vader next to him would smell like leather and iron.

12. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009
    I thought it was established that Vader smells like feet wrapped in leathery burnt bacon.[face_laugh]

BigAl6ft6, jSarek and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  13. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
  14. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Whilst Vader and Leia both call it a Star Destroyer in ESB of course it can easily be both.

Sure but if the novels intention was meant to be that important they would have kept it in, as it is you can't really blame them for taking the movie at face value here.

15. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    Hm, you say Tarkin is the blueprint of the rotten, self centered Imperial. So, how does that influence the way you think he smells? ;)
    I think Vader's smell can be compared to the odeur you smell one you walk into an SM-club leather factory.

16. Antlers

Antlers Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 30, 2012
    (((In reality, Peter Cushing smelled like lavender.)))

YES. We certainly do need a Tarkin novel. With lots of sex, please.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  17. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Yes, we do need a Tarkin novel where he is actually rooted in the film portrayal. Yet, I highly doubt it will ever happen. Yet, props to the OP for their saying so. Likewise, I think Tarkin could be a great read, very nuanced and complex and he isn't Force-Sensitive. That's a huge plus. In the film Tarkin gave no hint he was overly sexual. He was a bit of a chide but little more.

kubricklynch likes this.
  18. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
    Somehow, I knew I would find you here, Cushing's Admirer
    I too would also be interested in a Tarkin book, from TPM to ANH -it would be really cool, in my opinion.

Iron_lord likes this.
  19. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    CommanderDrenn:I was quite pleased to see a Tarkin thread active. I can actually speak of him here. :p I think it would be as well but I worry very much that the character would be painted black as he seems to have been ever since ANH. I can't buy that. He is quite Dark Geay, yes. But not black. I would hope someone would give Wilhuff a book a bit akin to Yoda: Dark Rendezvous did for Dooku and show he was a person, with feelings, conflicts, ideals, loyalties not just a planet killer like everyone harps endlessly. Odds are grim though. :(

20. AdmiralWesJanson

May 23, 2005
    Have Lucento write it. Either before or after he writes one about Dooku.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  21. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Can you explain why you'd nominate this writer to handle Tarkin, please? I am years removed from reading the EU so I don't really remember style nuances of SW writers.

22. AdmiralWesJanson

May 23, 2005
    Lucento writing a Tarkin book?
    1. He is quite good with continuity, tying things together- Agents of chaos 1 and 2, Unifying Force, Darth Plagueus
    2. He has done more political focused books that were still exciting- Cloak of Deception, Labyrinth of Evil
    3. He has a good handle on writing the "bad guys" point of view- Dark Lord: Rise of Vader, Darth Plagueus.
    4. His plots and characters flow more naturally, with far fewer contrivances or "author pets"

Iron_lord and Force Smuggler like this.
  23. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    *gasp* what about one about both characters?!

...it has to involve monsters. Of course.

Gorefiend and kubricklynch like this.
  24. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Thank you. He sounds like a decent choice. :)

25. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009
    A novel set in the Clone Wars with Tarkin in a unabashedly good guy role fighting Anzati(Aka SW version of Vampires.)

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.