main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit After the NJO ended, where did you expect the EU to go?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by DigitalMessiah, Aug 30, 2013.

1. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Dunno if this is straying too close to a what if, as it's more about fan expectations. I guess it's mostly applicable to people that read the NJO as it was released, as I would imagine most people that read it afterward would already have an idea about what happened afterward.

I thought Jacen was going to become the new Luke with Luke taking on the Obi-Wan/Yoda role, in terms of narrative importance. I also expected Anakin Skywalker to be like Qui-Gon's ghost after his demise. Revenge of the Sith wasn't out yet, but we got some Yoda going crazy and losing his mind and talking to the Force and it talking back to him in the voice of Qui-Gon Jinn scenes in the EU by that time, and I was intrigued by the ambiguity behind "stand firm." Was Jacen hearing Anakin? Or was Jacen hearing the Force? OR "why does everything have to be one or the other?"

When Legacy of the Force first came out, even after Jacen was like "Whelp, I guess I'll be a Sith because reasons," I didn't expect Jacen to become the antagonist, but I expected him to right the ship and transcend opposites again. I didn't believe Lumiya about Vergere either. I expected Anakin Skywalker's apparition to knock some sense into him... especially since the writers were teasing an Anakin would be in the story, which I guess turned out to be Anakin Sal-Solo (or maybe SS Jimmy) but given the fact that it's utterly stupid to build hype for that I suspect they were hyping how they were going to swap Jacen for Anakin in Invincible until the editors realized what they were doing.

The other thing which I expected was a master-apprentice relationship between Jacen and Ben which mirrored Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan. I fully expected Jacen to become a Jedi Knight very much similar to Qui-Gon Jinn, not really caring much for the bureaucracy which he expressed distaste for as early as Vector Prime, going about the galaxy following the will of the Force.

Rew likes this.
  2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I don't really remember what I expected from the Post NJO timeline but the stuff we got was not it. Vergere a Sith? Please. A war with the Skywalkers and Solos on opposite sides? No but I thought it was interesting so let that slide. I expected the Ryn and other characters from the NJO to appear, the Vong to play some sort of role, Jacen to help everyone, regardless of them being good or evil etc.

3. Sable_Hart

Sable_Hart Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2009
    Downhill.

YodaKenobi and DigitalMessiah like this.
  4. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Actually the Legacy comics hit it pretty perfectly.

Rew, Jedi Ben and Nobody145 like this.
  5. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Jaina and Jag wouldn't have broken up, for starters, and would already be married by the time the next series started.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  6. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Amen about Jaina and Jag Revanfan1! Never really cared for Zekk.
    The Legacy Comics were perfect.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  7. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    I'm glad Zekk finally got over Jaina. Better for him to be with what's-her-name.

Team Padme likes this.
  8. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I could have done without all of Denning's books forcing them together :(.
    Zekk and Taryn Zel (or was that the other one?) work together quite well.

aleja2 and Revanfan1 like this.
  9. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Yeah, it was Taryn. Trista was the other one.

10. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Thought so. Blood Oath should have been made.

11. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Should've been. I guess Elaine Cunningham writes too slowly for Del Rey.

12. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Sigh. I was looking forward to seeing what happened to him after Invincible.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  13. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Yeah. He mysteriously disappears from Jaina's perceptions and the battle? I'd say we have an unresolved mystery on our hands. He and Taryn won't even talk about it in FOTJ.

14. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    you know i was actually fine with the main plotline of Dark Nest. What bothered me was the rtegression of Luke and the order from TUF novel. LOTF would have been fine if we were not subjected to certain authors Jedi hate and mando loving. jacen also should have been redeemed, and Luke not tainted. On top of that don't let me get started on the exsistence of a planet full of sith that was somehow beat back by a few hundred jedi on Coruscant.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  15. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Me too. But Jacen and Jaina should've taken on Lomi and Raynar, while Luke...did Battle Meditation, or flew his starfighter with Mara, or something.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  16. HWK-290

HWK-290 Jedi Padawan star 2

Jul 29, 2013
    1. Series featuring Jacen exploring the galaxy, Unknown Regions included, on his quest for a broader and more complete understanding of the Force.
    2. Standalones featuring the Big Three by Luceno. Give the Stover the Final Sendoff instead of Denning.
    3. More starfighter squadron shenanigans by Allston. Mercy Kill doesn't count. Let's keep Jaina out of this category while we're at it, she goes with humor like wampas go with tauntauns.
    4. Series featuring both Jedi and non-sensitives (Karde where'd you go, I miss you so) dealing with the fallout and repercussions of the Vong War.
    5. Series detailing the gradual formation of the One Sith. STARRING YOUR FAVORITE HETT.

Pick any or all of the above.

Nah, we could have done without the page where Vergere equates Anakin Skywalker with Darth Vader despite this case of shared identity coming as a genuine surprise to her years later. Another instance of "manipulatin' Jacen 'cause they call me D. Chick, yo. I faked dat ****".

aleja2 likes this.
  17. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Or have Luke, Leia, Mara all Force meld with Jaina to stop her from being sucked into the Hive mind again.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  18. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I expected Luke to step back into a Jedi Council role. I expected Jacen to develop as a Jedi leader, to come back from his journey full of ideas and experience, to continue trying to find unconventional, personal ways to be a Jedi, to become the next great Jedi leader eventually. I expected Ben to grow up and get stories about him eventually; it was too early to really tell where he would go, though that vision was certainly enticing. I expected Jaina to continue in her role as a military Jedi, sort of retracing Luke's path of being in the frontlines, being involved with the military, before focusing on being a Jedi Master. I expected Jag to take a role within the GA, which would be a big, peaceful galactic government that functioned as an alliance of all the governments, and marry Jaina. I expected a return to smaller-scale stories for a while as the galaxy recovered, something like the Bantam paradigm where it's smaller stories with a heroic government. I expected characters like Karrde and Droma and Booster and Wedge and Tycho and Gavin to stick around as important parts of the extended cast. I expected that something would be done with the Unknown Regions now that the Chiss had been brought into the story and that could be the next main thrust of the narrative.

I expected that the stories would be good and not betray the previous nineteen books.

19. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    That would be great too.

20. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    That Hive-Mind Meld thing is so disturbing that I would have liked to see Jaina and crew overcome that.

21. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Yeah, I'm glad we got through LOTF with only a few mentions of it. It really was quite disturbing, so much that I just can't quite look at the Imperial Agent's companion Vector quite right on SWTOR because he's a Joiner. He's supposed to be a kind, compassionate character but all I can think is BUG MIND-SLAVE.

22. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I never noticed how disturbing it was (yes I knew it was bad) but my read through of DNT earlier in the year truly made it so disturbing. I'm not reading that trilogy again for a long time. A long time. I haven't had a chance to play TOR so haven't had the chance to see how bad that was. It wasn't as bad in the LOTF books. Thank heavens.

23. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Thing is, Vector wasn't bad. He was friendly, caring, and generally a light-side oriented character almost to the point of being sappy. But the whole time I was thinking about Jaina and Zekk, so I just couldn't focus right. To the point where I would rather use the psychotic Rattataki anarchist than him because BUG MIND-SLAVE. :p

24. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Altered, but, yeah, that's the general sentiment.

25. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I'd go psychotic Rattataki for the heck of it! The Killiks weren't that bad in Apocalypse at least.

Revanfan1 likes this.