main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga beyond 1080P

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by darklordoftech, Aug 27, 2013.

1. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Will it ever happen for any of the movies? The OT and TPM were indeed filmed with 35mm film, but the special effects for TPM were created using 2K scans and the 2004 changes to the OT were created using 1080P scans.

2. Visivious Drakarn

Visivious Drakarn Jedi Master star 3

Apr 20, 2013
    It is possible for TPM and the OT. Not so for AOTC and ROTS.
    I'll quote you saga blu-ray review from thedigitalbits.com:

SlashMan and darth ladnar like this.
  3. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    Was ROTS shot on 2K like ATOC was or was ROTS shot on a higher resolution? To me, it looks heads and tails above ATOC. Almost everything about ROTS looks photo-realistic to me and well-lit. ATOC of clones has tons of shots were the brights are blown out (most notably in the factory with the overhead lighting), the special effects sometimes look flat or digitally created, and certain scenes slightly look like "video" as in a slight Soap Opera effect.

Does anyone know if ROTS and ATOC were shot on the same camera and on the same resolution?

4. Sandtrooper92

Sandtrooper92 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 31, 2013
    What exactly does 2k scans mean?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

5. swcolts1277

swcolts1277 Jedi Master star 2

Jan 5, 2013

They were both shot in 1080p, but Episode 2 was softened because GL thought it looked too good.

darth ladnar likes this.
  6. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I have to say, I actually like the color correcting that was apparently done on AOTC for the Blu-ray; that kind of teal hue gives the entire film a more gritty and realistic tone to a lot of scenes, IMO.

I have always felt That AOTC looked a little too glossed over and perfect...

7. Darth Nerdling

Mar 20, 2013
    I'm really surprised that ROTS was shot in 1080p. It looked so much better in the theater than other films shot in 1080p. Most things that I've seen shot in 1080p really have that video look to me. Do you have any idea how GL avoided this?

8. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    He owns Industrial Light And Magic is how. :p

Anyway, I imagine they'll come up with some means of upscaling-isn't like AOTC and ROTS were the only big films shot in 1080p digital in the last decade, afterall. TPM and the OT will be "genuine" 4K, AOTC and ROTS will have something done to them to match.

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  9. Darth Nerdling

Mar 20, 2013
    It means a picture that has approximately 2000 pixels horizontally. For instance, the two types of HDTVs available right now are 720p and 1080p. A 720p TV has 720 pixels (glowing dots) horizonally, a 1080p has 1,080 pixels.

10. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Vertically. As for what will happen with AotC and RotS? They call always be released uncompressed.